How long will it take to get rooted?

mattbooty

Reaction score
I'm just curious, how long does it normally take a new phone to get rooted? I'm on OG Droid right now and I think its time to upgrade, the droid 3 seems like a logical next step (I need a keyboard), but I wonder how long it'll be until I can use root programs like titanium backup and wireless tether with the droid 3.

I know its just speculation, we won't know for sure until its released.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've seen recently released phones be rooted before a phone that has been out longer. The d1 came out in Nov 2009. It was rooted in Dec but not in a useable form for the masses. By January things started trickling out.

Some phones have taken a lot longer than others. Even then some phones aren't as easy to modify even when they are rooted. If you select a popular phone there is a good chance a lot of effort will be going into getting it rootable but as for how long it takes these dedicated volunteers will take to open the device up is indeterminable. I'd wager its a lot of skill with a little luck along with a dash of teamwork that results in a rooted device.

OP
M

mattbooty

Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't really paid attention to any phone other than the d1 since dec 09 so I figured the modders have gotten better at it since then but wasn't really sure how much effort recent phone releases have taken.

thanks for your insight!

Raptor007

Reaction score
Hopefully, not long. I know the DX2 now has a custom recovery and IF the D3 has a similarly encrypted bootloader then perhaps those who got into the DX2 can help the D3 folks.

I think it was on this site that a member posted he was getting the D3 and was 90% sure his company would be developing for the D3. So that is good news. The real hard part (besides getting into the bootloader) is getting enough Devs to work on a given phone.

jimikeys

Reaction score
i hope it's soon...i can remove this bloatware and get to enjoying this phone more...happily the games can be uninstalled but the other stuff can't be...very annoying

leonozug

Reaction score
I left my crystal ball at home, but when I get back I'll check for you. While I'm at it, I think I'll look up next weeks winning lotto numbers.
; )

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Big D

Reaction score
Original was done in 2 months or so. The first ROMs were good but got awesome as time went on.

Devs are more knowledgeable but manufacturers have gotten smarter too.

I'd say a couple months at least unless someone gets really lucky. And a good while before ROMs get really awesome.

What would really suck is if devs put a crapload of work into root and Moto/Verizon unlocks them before the devs can. Personally, I think Moto saying that they are going to unlock them to the customers who want it (which would be Verizon) is like saying that they will never be unlocked.

I think it burns Verizons balls to see rooted phones with all their garbage apps thrown out.