Note 4 post-Marshmallow update - No Status Bar Notifications

xjeff99

Reaction score
Has anyone else updated their Note 4 to Marshmallow and having status bar notification issues? Regardless of what app (Messages, Gmail, Email, MLB At Bat, etc.), the notification will show but the preview/message won't show on the top status bar. Usually, it will show virtually the whole message up there, but now it won't. I even did a factory reset of the phone and it still didn't work. Any help would be appreciated!

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
i had to do 2 factory resets to get the bugs out of mine i had major lagging issues and terrible battery life but so far its been good after the 2nd reset

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
i had to do 2 factory resets to get the bugs out of mine i had major lagging issues and terrible battery life but so far its been good after the 2nd reset

And when you get an email or message, the preview or entire message shows up in the top status bar?

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
i believe u go to setting then sound and notification and notifications on lock screen and turn it off

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
i believe u go to setting then sound and notification and notifications on lock screen and turn it off

That's for the Lock Screen. I'm talking about the the top Status Bar (where your icons are).

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
oh im not sure then ide go to the setting in the app ur useing and see if it a notification check or uncheked

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
^^ this. I had to go into the stock messaging app and turn on notifications again.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
^^ this. I had to go into the stock messaging app and turn on notifications again.

Sent from my Note 4

Are you talking about the "Pop-up display"? I turned that on for Text messages and I see that now, however it hasn't changed all my other apps - Gmail, Email, etc..

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Have you tried going into settings, sound and notification, application notifications and seeing if all the right boxes are checked?

Sent from my Note 4

OP
X

xjeff99

Reaction score
Have you tried going into settings, sound and notification, application notifications and seeing if all the right boxes are checked?

Sent from my Note 4

I've done it a few times and tried a few different tests on the different apps - can't get any of them to work. I have a feeling this might be a new feature for Marshmallow, unless other Note 4 users are seeing the notifications.

And to be clear - I still get the sound/vibrate notification as well as the icon in the status bar. I just don't get the preview of the message in the status bar that used to be there before Marshmallow (for example - Gmail would show who sent the email, MLB At Bat would show the entire notification).

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Yea I understand what you're saying. I'm seeing the same thing you are but I hadn't gone through settings extensively to see if it could be fixed... so, I'd agree, sounds like it might just be the way it is on 6.

Sent from my Note 4

BstShot

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung note 4
I'm having the same issue with my Note 4. I no longer see my message previews on the notification bar. All the settings are the same. Also I tried clearing the cache.

Before I reset the phone I would like to know if you resolved the issue?

Thanks.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Reset does not resolve it. Sems to be part of the update that eliminates them. Very annoying i really liked that feature. Seems like the good old saying 2 steps forward 1 step back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Can those of you that got the update post some screen shots of the drop down menu... I want to know if the NOte 4 all stayed with the green icons OR is Verizon just did it... Or if perhaps my update got messed up.....

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can those of you that got the update post some screen shots of the drop down menu... I want to know if the NOte 4 all stayed with the green icons OR is Verizon just did it... Or if perhaps my update got messed up.....

Is this what you are looking for?
dafbf063f4f244c5563da444cb9c9be4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk