texting notification problem

Fonzz

Reaction score
Stock Bionic here. Ever since the JB update, if I opened my text messaging for any reason, I'd immediately get the little text messaging notification appearing in my status bar (just the visual no audio), in the past, this was something that only happened when I actually received a new message, along with the audio alert, (before JB). This was annoying me and after a while, I unchecked something about notifications that I had the option to do so only from the notification bar itself and I can't seem to get to that "menu" now that my text alerts are no longer appearing there. Since then, I have not been getting audio notification or the status bar icon notification either, just a large text that appears on the screen without sound or status bar activating. I use Handcent. I have been going through all the settings that I can with no luck. I tried to "reset" my handcent settings to default values too, didn't work.
I'll try reinstalling handcent if no one has an easier solution. Factory reset is not an option, as in I won't do it for this alone.

T.I.A.

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
Still can't figure it out as is.

Can anyone who sees this, move the thread to tech support? Thanks.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
It sounds like you turned off all notifications. Open handcent, go to settings, notifications, then turn the notifications back on by tapping the box in the notifications field. Also try turning notifications on in your stock messaging app then send yourself a text. You should get two notifications if they are working.

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
It sounds like you turned off all notifications. Open handcent, go to settings, notifications, then turn the notifications back on by tapping the box in the notifications field. Also try turning notifications on in your stock messaging app then send yourself a text. You should get two notifications if they are working.

Thanks, I wish it were that easy. I've tried everything I can think of now, I made sure that notifications were enabled on both the stock app and handcent before I started this thread. Tried uninstalling handcent and sent myself a text with just the stock app on the phone and I made sure that notifications were enabled, no luck. Tried reinstalling handcent and now it has an ad at the bottom that was never there before!

Still messing with it as I prepare this post. Uninstalled handcent again and tried stock app, notification worked this time. Reinstalled handcent, still no work. Uninstalled handcent again, it now works. This didn't happen when I first used/installed handcent years ago, so I'm stumped. (I'd been messing with the settings ((just since this recent problem)), but "notifications" were always "enabled")??

For now I guess I'll just use the stock app again, I don't think I ever really used the many features that handcent offers anyways, though I'm still interested in getting to the bottom of this, anyone else care to delve deeper??

mattjenn

Reaction score
My wife had this problem on her RAZR out of no where we had to get it replaced even a factory reset didn't fix it

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
Still can't figure it out as is.

Can anyone who sees this, move the thread to tech support? Thanks.

Thanks!

My wife had this problem on her RAZR out of no where we had to get it replaced even a factory reset didn't fix it

Damn, I'm at least getting it to work with just the stock app, did the Razr loose the ability to receive the notifications completely? (after dumping any third party texting apps)

Just to reiterate, after my "goof", (changed a setting from a menu I no longer see/can access) I was "receiving" the texts but unless I was looking at my phone I wouldn't know it, no sound/the little icon was not appearing in the status bar...
Now back to stock, it is working as expected. Still would like to know WTH was happening, would like to use handcent again some day!

mattjenn

Reaction score
Thanks!

Damn, I'm at least getting it to work with just the stock app, did the Razr loose the ability to receive the notifications completely? (after dumping any third party texting apps)

Just to reiterate, after my "goof", (changed a setting from a menu I no longer see/can access) I was "receiving" the texts but unless I was looking at my phone I wouldn't know it, no sound/the little icon was not appearing in the status bar...
Now back to stock, it is working as expected. Still would like to know WTH was happening, would like to use handcent again some day!

What happened at first with her was it just stopped making a notification noise then like a day later no notification noise and nothing would show up in notification bar such as icon for email text nothing at all. We tried factory reset multiple times and we went to a corporate VZW store and everyone there said they never seen that before. We ended up having to get it replaced through warranty and this on is good so far.

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
What happened at first with her was it just stopped making a notification noise then like a day later no notification noise and nothing would show up in notification bar such as icon for email text nothing at all. We tried factory reset multiple times and we went to a corporate VZW store and everyone there said they never seen that before. We ended up having to get it replaced through warranty and this on is good so far.

I see. That is clearly not exactly matching my experience. I know I changed something, and the problem started right after. I just can't seem to get it working again with handcent, as just deleting it makes it work again in stockmode.

The only other thing I can think to add is that I'm also using GO launcher, I don't think it matters though but I looked through its settings also.

mattjenn

Reaction score
I see. That is clearly not exactly matching my experience. I know I changed something, and the problem started right after. I just can't seem to get it working again with handcent, as just deleting it makes it work again in stockmode.

The only other thing I can think to add is that I'm also using GO launcher, I don't think it matters though but I looked through its settings also.

Sorry I was thinking stock wasn't working either. Try to uninstall hand cent then go into file manager and delete all hand cent files then reinstall. That should give you a fresh install without having to do a factory reset be sure to check device storage and SD card storage. Hand cent should have its own file but also go into the file labeled android then data and see if any of those say hand cent and delete those to that should get rid of any setting in hand cent messing with notifications.