Not really getting amazing battery

Nelsonc

Reaction score
I have had the phone off the charger for 9 hours and i'm down to 5%. I'm definitely a heavy user but it seemed like everyone was saying they couldn't run down the battery. I turned off background data hoping that will make it better tomorrow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

doggy2965

Reaction score
9 hours of heavy use is amazing.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well you need to give us more details on your heavy use.. 4G no Wifi lot of screen time on etc.. But from what others have said 9hrs of really heavy use is very good.

OP
N

Nelsonc

Reaction score
I kept it on 4G about 90% of the time, and there was lots of screen time but the screen was on low brightness. Ive never had a 4G phone so I didn't know if that was good battery life. Happy to hear it

BillyT

Reaction score
I unplugged my phone yesterday morning from its first powered down charge. Still waiting for it to go down to 20% so I can do the 2nd power down charge. Didnt expect it to run over 24 hours. This is light to moderate use, no settings to try to save battery (yet)

TatDroid

Reaction score
The other BIG drain (beside 4G) is screen time. When your battery gets down to 10% or 15% remaining, check screen time in the battery statistics. If your 9 hours of heavy usage includes anywhere close to 9 hours of screen time, that's amazing! A typical smartphone may only get half of that.

"Moderate" use might be more like 20 minutes out of each hour throughout the day. In that case, 8 hours of screen time would last you 24 hours of total phone time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I unplugged my phone yesterday morning from its first powered down charge. Still waiting for it to go down to 20% so I can do the 2nd power down charge. Didnt expect it to run over 24 hours. This is light to moderate use, no settings to try to save battery (yet)

This is an excellent post, one others should follow. Please allow me to make one minor change to this process. Instead of starting the 2nd power down charge at 20%, wait till you get the "Low Battery" warning at 15%, then follow your original plan. The low battery flag is set at 15%, so if you don't discharge to that level, the charging and monitoring circuitry never actually gets a true representation of the full range of the battery. This could result in the meter showing more power available than it actually has, and that could lead to boot loops, power cycling, or possibly to an unresponsive phone if it were to shut down on its own. Otherwise, ROCK ON!

:icon_ lala:

The following is an excerpt from BatteryUniversity.com. Note, they show the low battery flag set at 10%, but for the RAZR and most other phones it's actually 15%. Otherwise the information is accurate.
Battery Calibration

The fuel gauge has the inherent drawback that it needs periodic calibration, also known as capacity re-learning. This is unfortunate, but is required to correct the tracking error that develops between the chemical and digital battery over many charge and discharge cycles.

Calibration could be omitted if the battery received a full charge followed by a full discharge at a constant current. This way, the battery would reset with each full cycle and the tracking error would be kept at less than one percent per cycle. In real life, however, a battery may be discharged for a few minutes with a load signature that is difficult to capture, then is partially recharged and stored with varying levels of self-discharge depending on temperature. These anomalies contribute to an unavoidable error. The true capacity of the battery begins to deviate from the fuel gauge readout and the battery needs to re-learn. Battery engineers say jokingly that “Li-ion got rid of memory and SMBus adds digital memory.

Calibration occurs naturally by occasionally running the equipment down until the battery is fully depleted and “Low Battery” appears. The full discharge sets the discharge flag, and the subsequent recharge sets the charge flag. By establishing these two markers, the battery can calculate the state-of-charge by knowing the distance between the flags. Figure 1 illustrates the full-discharge and full-charge flags.

calib1.jpg

Figure 1: Full-discharge and full-charge flags
Calibration occurs by applying a full charge, discharge and charge. This is done in the equipment or with a battery analyzer as part of battery maintenance.
Courtesy Cadex

Finally, it is recommended that you do this about once every 3 to 4 months with the MAXX, and once every 2-3 months with the RAZR (different battery capacities warrant less or more frequent trainings), or every 40 full charge/discharge cycles where a full cycle is the sum of 100% of capacity.

For example, using BillyT...he's going to have 100% of capacity at the end of his 2nd powered off charge. If he then uses the phone for 50% of the total charge capacity and charges from there to 100% again, he still needs to use another 50% of the next charge cycle and then charge back to 100% to have effectively used a 100% charge cycle (50% + 50% = 100%). He can also use 80% of the charge, leaving 20%, charge fully and then once he's used the additional 20%, he would have reached the 100% capacity cycle (80% + 20% = 100%). This method of keeping track is difficult - especially over 40 charge cycles, so I say try sticking with a schedule as mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

naknak95

Reaction score
Did you set up the Smart Actions and Task Manager app? They should be installed stockon the phone. What I recommend is to do the following:

Trigger - Display Off
Action - Background Sync Off

Trigger - Display On
Action - Background Sync On

Trigger - Display Off
Action - Cellular Data Off

Trigger - Display On
Action - Cellular Data On

I have seen a huge improvement after I did these changes. For the Task Manager, it kills the selected apps when you turn the screen off. Some apps tend to run in the background and kill battery extremely fast. Hope this helps!

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Did you set up the Smart Actions and Task Manager app? They should be installed stockon the phone. What I recommend is to do the following:

Trigger - Display Off

Trigger - Display On

Trigger - Display Off

Trigger - Display On

I have seen a huge improvement after I did these changes. For the Task Manager, it kills the selected apps when you turn the screen off. Some apps tend to run in the background and kill battery extremely fast. Hope this helps!

Do you still get email pushed to you with those settings?

naknak95

Reaction score
Do you still get email pushed to you with those settings?

Using these settings will not allow any type of background data, including push E-mail. Push E-mail constantly allows data to your phone and will kill battery crazy fast. I will let you know if I figure out a different method.

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
See I want my phone to have data sync what is the point of having this great phone yet turning it all off? I would rather use 3g and have my email notifications etc. That is me though. I have all my background data and I still get great battery. Is 24hr worth not using the phone or is 12 to 18 hrs enough yet the phone can do its job?

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Trigger - Display Off

Trigger - Display On

Trigger - Display Off

Trigger - Display On

From what I know about Smart Actions, if the default of the setting is on, and you set a SA trigger to turn it off, when the trigger is not active, the device setting is reversed, so it seems you wouldn't need the 2nd and 4th SA listed (the Display On triggers) above.

I'll do some experimenting, but I believe I've done so before and confirmed what I've said.

SLAYER6669

Reaction score
From what I know about Smart Actions, if the default of the setting is on, and you set a SA trigger to turn it off, when the trigger is not active, the device setting is reversed, so it seems you wouldn't need the 2nd and 4th SA listed (the Display On triggers) above.

I'll do some experimenting, but I believe I've done so before and confirmed what I've said.

You're correct. I have a smart action for while I'm driving with the triggers being connected to bluetooth and display off, to turn off background sync and cell data. I won't be needing it while I'm driving obviously (almost 90 minutes a day). While the smart action is active, If I turn the screen on I can see the smart action go away and 3G/4G icon appear in the bar on top shortly after.

Last edited: