! NOOBIE stuck !

Mr.Droid.X

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new here and for the past few days I have done a TON of reading on this site and many more. I have some PC skills but I am a bit overwhelmed by what I need, how to and the steps needed to root my phone. I have read a bunch of tuts on here and pages and pages but I think I overloaded my brain lol.
I have tried following a lot of them but I keep ending up into a wall.

-Phone details-
Moto Droid X
Android Version 2.2.1
Syetem Version 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Baseband Version BP_C01.09.07P

-What I am trying to do-

Become root without using z4root.
Then taking the phone to Gingerbread 4.5.596 so I can put the Liberty v0.7 on. I have tried following the guide and for the most part it seems easy enough. I have the 2 files needed to move to GB 4.5.596 and I have the Liberty v0.7. What I keep running into is the rooting. I have tried a guide using the cmd prompt with the adb and sdk files. The device manager see's the MOT adb stuff and the drivers are there but nothing works in the cmd prompt. Sorry it looks like I am asking someone to figure all this out for me but I'm not. Just asking to be pointed in the right direction. There are a lot of things I seem to be getting confused with lol. One is I went to the market and bought the BootStrap2 and Titanium BackUp Pro. But from what I read I jumped the gun because you MUST be root to use them. So now how would I get them onto my SDcard? Any way TY for any help you may give me to understanding and getting this task done. I have already learned a lot that I didn't know before I joined this forum.

I think once I get this figured out I am going to make a NOOB friendly step by step covering all things from step 1-xxx to a finished task. If there is one here I have looked but maybe I overlooked because I have not found it yet. Thank you again for any help.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would you not want to use Z4 root? Its quick and easy. I have the Z4 root file if you want it.

Once you are rooted, make backups of your files using Titanium backup. You can make backups of D2 bootstrap and your other apps. Once that's done, use the Bootstrap, and do a data wipe, then install the GB files. After that, reboot and you have Gingerbread.

With ZombieStomped, I installed the GB files, then installed the ZombieStomped files without rebooting. IDK if you can do it with Liberty.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

OP
M

Mr.Droid.X

Reaction score
The reason's I was trying to stay away from using the z4root 1. To try and gain knowledge on how to root and 2. From what I keep reading it seems like z4root isn't a perm root. Like I said i'm a noob with this but very eager lol. I did find a z4root.apk file but thats on my PC and I don't know how to go about getting it in the phone unless I drop it into my SDcard?. Will the phone still read the file for it to work?. I also have the RSDlite4.8 but I am still researching what thats for lol. TY for your fast response.
Another question is, should I invest in the ASTRO Pro file manager?

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Z4 root has a temporary root and a permanent root. Temporary lasts only until you reboot your phone. Permanent is until you manually unroot.

To get it on your phone, you have to connect to the computer and drop it on your SD card like it's a flash drive. Then go on your phone, click the files app, click SD card, then find the Z4 file. Click on that and it should install. Make sure you have allow installation of non market apps checked. That is under Settings>Applications>Development. Z4 root will install, then click Permanent root. It should take about 2 minutes, the phone will reboot and then you are rooted.

RSD Lite is how you flash your phone back to stock if you encounter any issues or brick it.

I would recommend Root Explorer over Astro. I have used both.

Last edited:

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly z4 would be the easiest way considering you are new to this. Setting up adb can be difficult. And once you get to gb you will need gingerbreak to root, z4 doesn't work with gb.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
He is installing the rooted .596 update, so no root will be necessary. Also, Gingerbreak doesn't work on .596

EDIT: Mr. DROIDX, make sure you downloaded the .596 rooted files. The unrooted version is the same as the over the air update and cannot be rooted.

Last edited:

99problemz

Reaction score
Id liked to add. Any apps you "purchased" in the market you can retain by going back to the market press the menu button and click my apps. They will be somewhere towards the bottom for you to reinstall.. z4 worked for me took a few tries I just rebooted and tried again.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
If Z4 takes awhile and doesn't seem like its doing anything, exit out of it and try again. No reboot is necessary. I have had to do this up to 3 times before

OP
M

Mr.Droid.X

Reaction score
Thank you to all of you for the input! I think I will try for the z4root first and then after a lot more reading go and try the other method's for rooting. This is by far the best Android forum site I have been on. Thank you again for the fast response's and help.
Maybe one day i will be on the other end returning the favor :)

blopez992DX

Reaction score
all that is way too complicated u can simply download he z4root off your fone go to www.*********** search z4root.apk download it once downloaded it its gnna ask you to change your setting allowing an application from an unknown source just check the box for a yes and install and run a permanant root mine works fine i did it the way i explained all this is through your fone no computer required quick and easy and just like the other guy says if it takes too long just exit and run again