Officially confused?? I'm Z4 rooted and the 4.5.596 update is popping on my phone??

XStorm2DroidX

Reaction score
OK ... let me 1st tell you I really have ZERO knowledge regarding this. Thanks to this forum I am Z4 Rooted and I feel lucky to have been able to do that! In other words I'm a Smart Phone DumbAss ;)
I tried to search on the forums but I have NO idea what a lot of words being used mean so I can't figure it out.
In layman's terms can anyone help me PLEASE
Here are my issues:
1. I have the original DroidX Z4 rooted like I said. Now I get this message that I need to switch to 4.5.596
2. With the little I know I'm pretty sure I can't agree to that upgrade because I am rooted ... correct?
3. If I un-root ... then install the 4.5.596 update can I re-root?
4. If so how?
5. If I update will I lose my current App's?
6. If I will lose my App's, can I get them back?
In real life I'm not as dumb as I feel right now!!!

TIA

pfbird

Reaction score
Same boat

Thanks for posting this. I'm in the same boat and wondering the same thing.

csimo

Reaction score
OK ... let me 1st tell you I really have ZERO knowledge regarding this. Thanks to this forum I am Z4 Rooted and I feel lucky to have been able to do that! In other words I'm a Smart Phone DumbAss ;)
I tried to search on the forums but I have NO idea what a lot of words being used mean so I can't figure it out.
Here are my issues:
1. I have the original DroidX Z4 rooted like I said. Now I get this message that I need to switch to 4.5.596
2. With the little I know I'm pretty sure I can't agree to that upgrade because I am rooted ... correct?
4. If so how?

TIA

If you are only rooted the update would probably install and you would be on .596 but unrooted. You would still have all your apps. Some people are able to use Z4 to root .596 but others say it won't work. There currently isn't any easy one-key rooting for .596 yet that I know of.

If you installed Clockwork or other bootstrap recovery the update won't install. You have to SBF back to stock first. You could then install one of the TBH pre-rooted versions of .596.

Hope this helps.

cubsfan187

Reaction score
Here are my issues:
4. If so how?

TIA

Ok in short,
1. Yes you can upgrade even if you have been rooted. As long as you didn't delete/freeze any of the VZW bloatware (blockbuster app, kindle app, city ID app). Also as long as you didn't change anything as far as battery meters or signal icons you'll be fine.
2.No you can not re-root the .596 OS. It has not been able to be rooted yet (unless you use the Team BlackHat Gingerbread pre-rooted release of .596) For this you need droid 2 bootstrap and to follow those instuctions EXACTLY and you'll be fine. They can be found over at mydroidworld.com
3. You will not lose any of your apps. They will all come back once you sign into your Gmail account when resetting up the phone after the .596 install. It may take a while for them to all sync/redownload but you will get them back.

Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any other questions, just read up on the subject. If you still have questions, just ask. Someone will always offer help in this great community!

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Here are my issues:
4. If so how?

TIA

Ok in short,
1. Yes you can upgrade even if you have been rooted. As long as you didn't delete/freeze any of the VZW bloatware (blockbuster app, kindle app, city ID app). Also as long as you didn't change anything as far as battery meters or signal icons you'll be fine.
2.No you can not re-root the .596 OS. It has not been able to be rooted yet (unless you use the Team BlackHat Gingerbread pre-rooted release of .596) For this you need droid 2 bootstrap and to follow those instuctions EXACTLY and you'll be fine. They can be found over at mydroidworld.com
3. You will not lose any of your apps. They will all come back once you sign into your Gmail account when resetting up the phone after the .596 install. It may take a while for them to all sync/redownload but you will get them back.

Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any other questions, just read up on the subject. If you still have questions, just ask. Someone will always offer help in this great community!

I just updated my buddy's phone from stock unrooted to unrooted gb from tbh and you don't have to redownload any apps, even the homescreen setup remained.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
X

XStorm2DroidX

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, although from what I am reading if I attempt this it looks like there is a very good chance I will screw my Droid X up and I can't have that.
What if I didn't do anything and just left my phone the way it is and simply left the Z4 Rooted older version on and didn 't upgrade?
TIA A

FernBch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, although from what I am reading if I attempt this it looks like there is a very good chance I will screw my Droid X up and I can't have that.
What if I didn't do anything and just left my phone the way it is and simply left the Z4 Rooted older version on and didn 't upgrade?
TIA A

You'll most likely get what I have. You'll be prompted to.update every so often. I'm at a 12hr reminder and it keeps asking. A tech at Big Red said it would eventually stop, but I think he's full of it. The only other way I've heard of is to delete a piece of bloat and install the update. The missing app will cause the update to fail and you won't be asked anymore,but I haven't tried it yet.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Install bloat freezer from the market and freeze some apps so that you can unfreeze them if you want to upgrade in the future. See if that works.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

ARod

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any way to download the sbf 2.2 onto my droid x without using a computer...cus I have my phone rooted and have clockwork on it so it doesn't let me update my phone to GB....

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try the Maderstock file. But you can't sbf your phone without RSD Lite.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can dl the sbf file to the phone but you can only run it from rsd lite which has to be on a computer
Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

ARod

Reaction score
So pretty much I need a computer in order to use the sbf file right? Cus I just want the update...so is there an alternate way to get the update? (not very familiar with terminology or hacking in general lol so bear with me)

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
http://www.androiddoes.net/showthread.php?711-Droid-X-FULL-SBF-2.3.340

Unfortunately not. If you sbf (yes from the pc) you will be able to get the update. If it seems intimidating to do an sbf, don't be discouraged. I'll be happy to walk or even talk you through it. Just let me know
Above is a link to the sbf (just register on the site and you'll get it) ill post rsd lite 4.9 in a second. If the above link gives you trouble, just do a google search for the dx full.340 sbf (has to be the full, not system ;)

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

ARod

Reaction score
Ok thanks I think I might take you up on that offer and the reason I don't want to use my computer is cus ive tried connecting it to my mac when I first got my phone (when it first came out) but it doesn't detect it most of the time..... haven't tried recently but I might just have to again