noob

jons73

Reaction score
droid x stuck in boot loop

hi all,

i'm a new member to the forum, but have been reading it since i got my droid x last fall.

i'm trying to find the best way i can remove the bloatware from my phone to make it zippier and also prevent it from sharing data about me.

originally i did this through rooting my phone and using root explorer to delete .apk's (making them .bak). this worked pretty well, but my phone started to get buggy, freezing and stalling, largely around media playback/streaming.

i decided to get a step more complicated by installing a new ROM. after reading around, i settled on RubiX 1.9.7 which has all the blur removed. (here's where i start to get fuzzy myself in my understanding). i figured that the blur included lots of bloat and a focused system would be simpler for me to control.

a couple of forks down that path led me to a boot loop that i can't break out of. that'll be my first real post to the forum.

i'm encouraged by the help i've seen shared in this forum and i look forward to getting to the point that my competence can help other stuck folks.

jonathan

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm a new member to the forum, but have been reading it since i got my droid x last fall.

i'm trying to find the best way i can remove the bloatware from my phone to make it zippier and also prevent it from sharing data about me.

originally i did this through rooting my phone and using root explorer to delete .apk's (making them .bak). this worked pretty well, but my phone started to get buggy, freezing and stalling, largely around media playback/streaming.

i decided to get a step more complicated by installing a new ROM. after reading around, i settled on RubiX 1.9.7 which has all the blur removed. (here's where i start to get fuzzy myself in my understanding). i figured that the blur included lots of bloat and a focused system would be simpler for me to control.

a couple of forks down that path led me to a boot loop that i can't break out of. that'll be my first real post to the forum.

i'm encouraged by the help i've seen shared in this forum and i look forward to getting to the point that my competence can help other stuck folks.

jonathan

Can you boot into recovery? If you can then just go ahead and restore your last back up.

If you don't have a back up then you will need to sbf. That will require you to download and install RSDLite and will bring you back to stock via SPRecovery.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

OP
J

jons73

Reaction score
well it's more of a mess than that.

i got my phone into a boot loop where the droid eye animation is there for a while then the word "droid" then back to the eye.

i have tried using the android system recovery (by holding the home button during power up). first i wiped the cache partition and then i wiped all the data/factory reset. neither step changed the boot loop problem. fwiw, the android system recovery produces this error message when it first opens:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

the boot loop happened on the first reboot after i renamed both /system/bin/logwrapper.bin and /system/bin/logwrapper by appending "OLD" to their original names.
i renamed them after uninstalling Droid X Bootstrapper as the second step to removing the (bootloader?) screen that interrupts a normal boot sequence. i believe i needed to remove that bootloader screen in order to install the OTA 2.3.340. i want to install that update in order to install rubiX.

i had been running system 2.2, i think.

OP
J

jons73

Reaction score
oh, and i wasn't able to get a backup to complete, so i will need to install an SBF, but i don't see how to do that if i can't boot the phone...i don't understand yet how this might work

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My bad, I thought we were talking the original Droid. You have an X? Let me get you over to our Rescue Squad. Yeah, I see on your first post where you talk about blur. Let me move you over.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay, if you've done a factory reset and you still can't get it to boot past the eye then you'll need to SBF the phone. To do that you'll need to pull the battery, wait 30 seconds, and then boot into the bootloader. Do you know how to do that, do you have RSD Lite or SBF_Flash installed, and do you have the proper SBF?

OP
J

jons73

Reaction score
i know how to get into the Android system recovery screen but not the bootloader. i don't have either RST Lite or SBF_Flash installed, nor the proper SBF. babe in the woods here! :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
My mouse is malfunctioning (yes, it actually is) and as a result I pasted the wrong directions in the last post. Please ignore as I am digging up the correct instructions now. :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
bootloader can be accessed by camera and volume down while powering on

That's from Abe21599, an X-Pert in the field. :) So pull the battery, wait 30 seconds, pop it back in, and try that.

The bootloader version will tell you what SBF you need, but first install RSD Lite 4.8 or 4.9 if you're on Windows and SBF_Flash if you're on Linux.

You'll need administrator access on the PC you're flashing this from.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
No problem. I'm glad I got attention called to the issue. :) My time on the forum has been reduced of late with other duties elsewhere and for my own projects, unfortunately.

Any luck?

OP
J

jons73

Reaction score
well, i'm making pretty slow progress. i've installed RSD Lite4.8 and i've learned that my bootloader is 30.03, which apparently calls for the 2.3.15 SBF. it took me a long time to find a 2.3.15 SBF, but i got it and let RSD Lite do its magic.

but it appears it hasn't worked. it shows this in the bootloader:
Bootloader
Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

i've seen something about this error code, but haven't looked into it yet. for now, i'm going to repeat the flash a few times and see if it takes.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
J

jons73

Reaction score
success!

so i feel a little invincible!

2.3.320 worked and your link to the SBF cut 2h from my process

i'm now completely comfortable with rooting/unrooting, moving .zip files about, flashing SBFs (which i now understand are sort of digests of a /system directory), working around OTAs (which i now understand are over the air updates) and the various helper apps that make all of this work.

after bringing it to .320, i updated to .340 with the 30.04 bootloader and just successfully installed rubiX 1.9.7. a big improvement from the boot loop i had been stuck in!

thanks very much for your help with this!