Noob Needs Help - PLEASE

elephant

Reaction score
So I have been looking around for a couple days I cannot find what I want. So sorry if this is here somewhere but I cannot find it - probably because I am searching for the wrong thing.

I have a broken phone. I received a replacement phone. I want to do the following:

-Move all my text and picture messages to my Windows 7 desktop and be able to view those texts and pictures on my PC.

I do not care if the messages are ever on my new phone.

Is there an app that will allow me to move the messages to my PC and view them there?

/I do not want to backup and restore the texts and picture messages.
/I do not want to backup and restore my entire phone.

Things I know how to do:

-Connect my phone to my computer via USB.
-Move files to and from my phone and my SD card.
-Download and install apps from Android Market - NOT any apps that require special installers though.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
We can help more if we know why your phone is being replaced. We need to know what's broken in order to help.

OP
E

elephant

Reaction score
We can help more if we know why your phone is being replaced. We need to know what's broken in order to help.

The phone is physically damaged. It still operates so I can do the things I listed in the above post.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, picture messages are stored in /data (which you can't get to unless you use adb 'I think'). So without access to the OS I don't know how to help you with that.

The pictures you have taken from the camera are stored on the SDCard though, so you can just swap that into the new device.

OP
E

elephant

Reaction score
AFAIK, picture messages are stored in /data (which you can't get to unless you use adb 'I think'). So without access to the OS I don't know how to help you with that.

The pictures you have taken from the camera are stored on the SDCard though, so you can just swap that into the new device.

I am a noob. What is abd? Not all but dissertation, that is for sure. By OS I assume you are referring to the phone OS (Android) not the desktop OS (Windows 7).

I have the whole phone "backed up" in the sense the files are copied to a PC. Most of the files I want I can view on my PC. I cannot view SMS or MMS though.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No you can't because they are in the /data folder on the phone. You would have to do some googling on how to use it, as I know nothing but the name. Not even sure you can do it at all.

JustisLewis

Reaction score
Is the phone still running? As in fully functional with like a cracked screen or something?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
E

elephant

Reaction score
Here are the things I can do:

-Connect my phone to my computer via USB.
-Move files to and from my phone and my SD card.
-Download and install apps from Android Market - NOT any apps that require special installers though.

I can also make phone calls and the like.

Like I said the phone is physically damaged. Hope that helps.

dcook12

Reaction score

I am a noob. What is abd? Not all but dissertation, that is for sure. By OS I assume you are referring to the phone OS (Android) not the desktop OS (Windows 7).

I have the whole phone "backed up" in the sense the files are copied to a PC. Most of the files I want I can view on my PC. I cannot view SMS or MMS though.

I know this will not help now unless you did set it up but may help you in the future and also save some space. If you keep all of your MMS or SMS messages on your phone you are wasting space. If you have a google account which I believe you have to have (at least that's what they told me when I bought the phone because you get some extras from google) anyway, you can set up your gmail account to save these messages. It's in a regular folder just like an inbox, but save every message you have sent or been sent in a nice format. I use it just so I can delete old messages on my phone cause I hate extra stuff that I don't need to get at right away. Gmail will always have these. Once you set it up, it's automatic, so you don't have to worry about sending them there or anything. Sorry this won't help now, but it would be another thing you wouldn't have to worry about if you have to get another phone in the future.

Last edited:

dasanman69

Reaction score
U can do what you want just not exactly how you described it. There are apps that will send your SMS msgs to ur Gmail. The pics can be saved and emailed to yourself. You can also use the online saving feature of mybackup pro to view SMS msgs, pictures, etc on your PC.

dcook12

Reaction score
U can do what you want just not exactly how you described it. There are apps that will send your SMS msgs to ur Gmail. The pics can be saved and emailed to yourself. You can also use the online saving feature of mybackup pro to view SMS msgs, pictures, etc on your PC.

Thanks for adding that....I don't remember needing an app to save my messages to gmail, but it's been a while so I have to go back and check...thx..

OP
E

elephant

Reaction score
So it seems after I figured out the correct search words this is all pretty easy.

Backup to Gmail sends it all to Gmail then I can read them to a third party mail reader, archive them on my PC, and view them whenever I want.

Thanks for your help.