.nomedia ignored by Gallery?

Natey2

Reaction score
I created a .nomedia file in
/sdcard/download but Gallery picks up/displays the .jpeg files I save (browser save image) in that folder and also caches/thumbnails that image.
Does Gallery ignore .nomedia ?

stanrc

Reaction score
That should work, you have to reboot or force the gallery to rescan before you see the changes though.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
That .nomedia was created over a week ago, and I have rebooted the DroidX a couple of times since then.
There are other .jpg files in /sdcard/download/ that Gallery is not displaying (as expected).

How do you force Gallery to ignore everything and do a rescan?

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Some might prefer to not let Gallery index any media unless there is a .yesmedia file in the directory! :)

Indexing everything it finds on the SD card is just wrong.
Even Microsoft doesn't do that as a default.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Same problem today..
I had a .download folder with a
.nomedia file in it. Created over a month ago.
I saved a jpeg file to it yesterday (saved from browser displayed image) and both the Motorola and cooliris Galleries indexed and display the image!
.nomedia is broken, even in Android 2.2.1

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

sandman1987

Reaction score
I don't remember where I read this, but I use .file as the folder name of the media I don't want to show up in the gallery. I just tried it again and created a new .file folder in one of my gallery folders. After a restart the photos I put in it didn't show in gallery.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
The strange thing is that I have other .folder directories and Gallery ignores them, and other directories with a .nomedia file and Gallery ignores them as well.
The behavior of Gallery is very inconsistent.
The only Gallery that I have tried that really respects .nomedia is JustPictures!

So I guess it is the stock Android Gallery that is the problem and not Android 2.2.1

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App