Gallery behavior w/ SD Card - format required?

somegeek

Reaction score
I tried adding an empty .nomedia file to one of the directories on my SD card so Gallery would ignore it. When I fired up Gallery, it opened/closed within a second and would not work. I tried mounting/unmounting the SD card and a reboot. Gallery still not happy. I deleted that .nomedia file which I added and then tried to load gallery, no luck(even after bouncing the mount and rebootging). I moved all files off my SD card, formatted it and then moved my files back and Gallery was then able to open and function normally.

Why would a format of the SD allow Gallery be required to allow Gallery to function properly again?

somegeek

Droids

Reaction score
Just some odd corruption on the sd card. You did the right thing to fix it. The .nomedia file probably wasn't the cause.

OP
S

somegeek

Reaction score
I'm somewhat convinced it's related to whatever I did since what I did triggered the Gallery behavior and I repeated this 'error' a few times in a row to verify if I could make the .nomedia file work(which I could not).

Droids

Reaction score
I just tested this. I have a folder under /sdcard/Media/Pictures named Private. I used Root Explorer (any file manager will do) to move some pics from the DCIM folder over to my private folder. I then created a .nomedia file in Private. When I opened the Gallery, those pictures were still visible. After a reboot there were not.

I seem to remember that sometimes a reboot is necessary for the sd card to be rescanned. I also believe there is an app in the market that will force a rescan whenever you want. The .nomedia files are commonly used on Android, shouldn't be causing a problem.

OP
S

somegeek

Reaction score
I added that file and subsequently rebooted. Gallery opened and attempted to read the media for about fifteen seconds and then Gallery quit out. I tried to launch Gallery and was back to Gallery opening for about a second and closing. Removed the .nomedia file. Gallery would still not open correctly. Rebooted, gallery would still not open correctly.

I moved all contents off the SD card, formatted the card, moved them back on and Gallery opened correctly.

Something is getting wedged when I try to add that .nomedia file myself and staying wedged until I format the SD card.

2.2.1 on a DroidX fwiw

Droids

Reaction score
Are you putting the nomedia file in the DCIM folder? If so maybe that's crashing the gallery. Otherwise I don't know why this is happening. And you're sure the file name is just .nomedia with no other extension on the end?