No Sound Coming From External Speaker...

davvvy

Reaction score
My phone has been working perfectly fine up until now. All the sudden, I can not get any sound whatsoever to come out of my speaker. I uninstalled an app I think caused it, powered on and off, booted in safe mode, and even returned to the factory default settings. And still, no sound at all. I don't understand this, I have taken perfect care of my phone...I feel like screaming x_x

by the way this is a droid 2 =P

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Under Settings-Sound-Media Audio Effects- check and see if it says Connected under Phone Speaker.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Wow, you got me there. For a second I thought that maybe the phone didn't recognize that the hardware (speaker) is there. I don't know what to tell ya, maybe re-install the app you deleted or a battery pull. That would be what I would do.

Good luck.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I'm probably being overly obvious, but make sure your media volume is turned up under Settings / Sound / Volume.

I have had apps turn this down for me, and since I didn't do it myself I spent considerable time wondering why all sounds went away except my ringer. Unless you have a media app open the volume controls only seem to effect the ringer.

rachlynn87

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem! I've tried everything to attempt the sound issue. I did a factory reset, tried plugging and unplugging head phones... nothing. It's frustrating because all sound functions worked perfectly for the first 2 weeks. To make phone calls I have to use bluetooth and media sounds only work with headphones. Has anyone found a solution?

rachlynn87

Reaction score
No I thought about that but I'm not the most technologically inclined person and I'm aware that RSD Lite could lock me up. I'm not super in the mood to do another factory reset.

Reaction score
RSDLite is NOT likely to lock you up? It's the ultimate tool for resetting your phone when it IS locked up. A monkey could SBF in less than 10 minutes. And if you follow the directions, there's pretty much zero risk. The only people who have problems are the ones who don't read closely enough before they start.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .A monkey could SBF in less than 10 minutes. . . . The only people who have problems are the ones who don't read closely enough before they start.

Monkeys can read!? :icon_ devil:

I knew it was a mistake to let those chimps watch the Sci-Fi Channel. Well I'm off to pick out a comfortable leash and cage.

Reaction score
. . .A monkey could SBF in less than 10 minutes. . . . The only people who have problems are the ones who don't read closely enough before they start.

I knew it was a mistake to let those chimps watch the Sci-Fi Channel. Well I'm off to pick out a comfortable leash and cage.

Theoretically, enough monkeys with enough typewriters could write Shakespeare. :)

TwerpPoet

Reaction score

Theoretically, enough monkeys with enough typewriters could write Shakespeare. :)

Unfortunately randomness and infinity do not produce a similar theory for understanding literature. Though I suppose infinite monkeys might be able to sbf in something shorter than infinity. Pardon me if I don't volunteer my phone for the experiment. :heart::motdroidvert:

rachlynn87

Reaction score
RSDLite is NOT likely to lock you up? It's the ultimate tool for resetting your phone when it IS locked up. A monkey could SBF in less than 10 minutes. And if you follow the directions, there's pretty much zero risk. The only people who have problems are the ones who don't read closely enough before they start.

I'm kind of here for help not ridicule. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix this issue with my droid. I cannot use RSD lite because it is a Windows only program and I use a Mac. I rooted my droid, but this had no effect on this issue either. If anyone else has other ideas or programs that might help I'd be very grateful.

Reaction score

I'm kind of here for help not ridicule. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix this issue with my droid. I cannot use RSD lite because it is a Windows only program and I use a Mac. I rooted my droid, but this had no effect on this issue either. If anyone else has other ideas or programs that might help I'd be very grateful.

Well, it sounds like you're pretty much at the stage where an SBF might be your only option. I wasn't really ridiculing, seriously, RSD Lite is EASY. Get yourself a copy of the right SBF for your phone, the right motoconnect drivers from motorola, and a copy of RSD Lite. (All of these are in links in this forum, just search up top). Put 'em on a flash drive and go to a friend's house. It only takes 10-15 minutes from start to finish. Once you've done that and cleared your cache/data, your phone is in brand new, out of the box state. If your speaker still doesn't work, then you know you've got a hardware issue.

rachlynn87

Reaction score
I'm sure I will do this on a PC eventually. Of course most of my friends use macs. Why wouldn't a factory wipe accomplish the same things as RSD?