No search in email app?

GrandP

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way to search email in the stock email app? It's insane that a vanilla Android OS doesn't have that...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

haproot

Reaction score
Hmm in gmail its right on the bottom. I guess i don't use the email app.

- from the GNex

vtnerd

Reaction score
There's a magnifying glass icon at the bottom that searches your email. Between the icons for compose and your list of folders.

OP
G

GrandP

Reaction score
Gmail has it, but the Exchange email app doesn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

vtnerd

Reaction score
I see one in my Exchange account.

View attachment 44629

In looking for a folder with only a couple of messages for the screenshot, I found that it does not show the magnifying glass in my Drafts folder or Outbox folder (both of which are empty). But other non-default folders (folders that I created) that have no messages in them do still show search. I can't explain the behavior or why it doesn't show up in at least 2 of the folders, but it's something I noticed and might be applicable depending on where you were trying to perform your search.

Last edited:

PhishyKris

Reaction score
Confirmed that my EXCH set up email DOES have it. iterestingly enough I have a Lenovo 3.1 tab and it DOES NOT. HUGE fail.

KingsDude

Reaction score
I'm having the same issues and I don't have a search option. Wondering if it has anything to do with me running Exchange 03 on my server?? Anyone else??

garyk66

Reaction score
No Email Search Capability on Galaxy Nexus Stock Email App

I have having this same issue with my Galaxy Nexus LTE using the stock email app with Exchange 2003. Not sure if that is the issue, as another poster wondered. It seems the phone should be able to search at least the contents of the mail displayed in the folders on the phone. One idea would be to add Mail to the Searchable Items under the settings of the Google search bar. My old Blackberry had a central search function like that and it would find mail in all folders, based on the search criteria. Will someone from Google please investigate and comment on this?

ebillyB

Reaction score
Having the same problem

I am having the same issue. I can't search my email in the stock email app. The search button simply does not appear. I understand that it should be between the compose and folders buttons, but it is sinply not there. See attached screen shot.

I am also connecting to an Exchange 2003 server.

Please tell me someone has worked this out... it is driving me nuts! But this seems to be the only thread on a number of forums out there where I have found that others are experiencing the same issue.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

View attachment 45727

haproot

Reaction score
Maybe try this. I found this option in my Gmail app.
Menu>settings>experiments>Enable full text search.

- from the GNex

ebillyB

Reaction score
Haproot, thanks for the suggestion, but the problem is with the stock email app connecting to an exchange server-- not the gmail app.

On a side note, I don't have the "experiments" option in my gmail menu-->settings.

haproot

Reaction score
Ok figured it was worth a shot. I knew you were using the "email" app rather than Gmail but I figured they might be one in the same. I'm also running bugless beast and my gapps are most likely a different version.

- from the GNex