No mic when using Aux out?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Oliver84, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Oliver84

Oliver84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to use my Droid while driving and have the sound come out of the speakers. Since I have an '06 Tacoma I had to use an FM modulator to get a decent sound. It works great however when I get a phone call, the callers can't hear me unless I either put it on speaker (and the sound goes back to the phone's speaker) or unplug the Aux cable from the headphone jack.

Has anyone figured out a way to make this work? Is this a software issue or a hardware issue? I can "jimmy-rig" a cheap headset to make this work by using the headset mic, but if there's another way, I'd much rather that...

2. brucin

brucin Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola X Pure
    When I'm using the media player to listen to music and i get a call i answer it and put it back in my shirt pocket. i assume that the mic is picking up my voice and i hear the caller through the headphones. I've been told my voice sounds a little muffled.

I'm not sure why your set up does not work. The only thing i can think of would be some sort of feedback suppressing software built into the phone that mutes the mic. Since i use headphones the mic can't hear the phones speaker.

I'm going to try my aux input in my car stereo this week and will let you know how it works for me.

3. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same issue here. I wanted pretty much hands free talking/driving, as it seems you are looking for.

The problem is that the microphone built into the phone is too far away from your mouth. In my car I had the audio output going into my tapedeck (sounds great for music, internet radio, phone calls, whatever) but the person I'm speaking to can't hear me, because it was physically too far away (a foot and a half, maybe, mounted on my dashboard).

There was no easy way to fix it. The best option would be a bluetooth device with an FM transmitter AND a microphone built into it (Like the Jabra bluetooth speaker), but the issue there is that FM transmission pretty much sucks.

So, what we need to do is find a way to amplify the input (microphone) to the phone. I don't think there are many cheap options. What I've settled for is using the Jabra bluetooth speaker attached to my visor for phone calls, and the radio tape deck for everything else. Kinda sucks, but its not horrible. If I get a call I just take it, say "hold on" and reach up and turn the bluetooth on and speak through it.

If you have a better solution, please share because I'm looking for the same thing you are - being able to have a conversation without switching and the caller be able to hear my clearly.

-Wil

4. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the aux out all the time in the car and in the gym. The mic works perfectly in both instances. I am able to use the phone through the car speakers and the Droid mic picks up my voice. Not one complaint of voice quality. I'd look into it... the Droid CAN do this no problem.

5. Oliver84

Oliver84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When the phone is on speaker, the mic is much more sensative. I wonder if there would be a way to put it on speaker but have the audio still come through the AUX jack??

6. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    I just leave the aux jack plugged in.... mic picks up my voice fine from the dash mount.

7. Oliver84

Oliver84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does your plug have the standard 3 connector? I'm not sure what the difference is between your setup and mine. I don't get any mic at all and I have a standard 3 connector plug.

8. Martin030908

Ratings:
    +0
    It's just a standard plug. In my car it's a Belkin FM tuner and for the gym it's a set of Sony inner-ear buds. Both allow the mic to work.... audio through the jack and Droid mic picks up my voice.

9. Oliver84

Oliver84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've tried it with multiple headphones and I still don't get any sound from the mic. None at all... would this be a software issue or could my phone be defective?

10. tbever

tbever Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem also but for whatever reason it has been intermittent, meaning sometimes the mike works when audio out is through the headphone jack and other times I have the problem you described. I am looking for a bluetooth adapter that does music a2dp and avrcp (I thnk those are correct). I have seen these on Crutchfield. I think they hook into the head unit's aux in jack and take calls and play audio. They have a separate mike for calls, similar to a BT headset. The only downside is that the car stereo has to stay on aux in or you lose the handsfree calling.

11. Oliver84

Oliver84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I don't think bluetooth would work for me. I'd really like to figure out what's going on here. If it works on and off, would that mean that its a software issue? Has anyone use the headphone locale plug-in? I'm wondering if that let's you control the mic input...

12. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar issue. Phone calls and music work great with an FM transmitter but the voice command search option does not pick up anything. I'm using the Moto car dock and a Belkin FM transmitter.

Search tags for this page
android mic and aux output

auxiliary cable that u can answer cell phone calls

cant hear me on cell phone with aux cable

cell phone plugged into aux plays through car speakers but c

droid aux port no microphone

how can my phone pick up voice when plugged in auxiliary

how split between car stereo aux and earphone mic

motorola android microphone auxiliary cable

no volume with droid auxiliary connection

use phone mic aux cable car gs3