Anyone use a fm modulator?

rww

Reaction score
I have a droid x, and wondered if anyone has used a fm modulator with their phone? I wonder if all modulators are the same? My work truck does not have a aux in or out, trying to find a way to listen to my music though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
FM signal should be the same, just match it up to the station. I used to run this years ago but always hated the static noise i would get.

Nothing beats a wired connection, could find a second hand radio with AUX support?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I did use an FM broadcaster once with an MP3 player -- was nice to listen to a Goon Show over the radio for once -- but the volume was utter crap. So they do work, but make sure you get a good one. :)

VidProQuo

Reaction score
None of the modulators I've tried have sounded very good. They have all had limited audio frequency response and sound nowhere near as good as a direct wired connection. That said, the DroidX has a surprisingly excellent sounding audio output.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a droid x, and wondered if anyone has used a fm modulator with their phone? I wonder if all modulators are the same?
A lot of people do. I don't recommend them except as a last resort. Sound quality suffers and they're not very useful is cities with packed radio bands.

My work truck does not have a aux in or out, trying to find a way to listen to my music though.
You don't have much of a choice with a work truck though. You might want to check the Accessories subforum. There are existing threads on audio options and FM transmitters.

No tape desk either? Even a cassette adapter would be a better option.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
He's right! I sold car audio for 10 years and FM mods always sounded bad!

I have a droid x, and wondered if anyone has used a fm modulator with their phone? I wonder if all modulators are the same?
A lot of people do. I don't recommend them except as a last resort. Sound quality suffers and they're not very useful is cities with packed radio bands.

My work truck does not have a aux in or out, trying to find a way to listen to my music though.
You don't have much of a choice with a work truck though. You might want to check the Accessories subforum. There are existing threads on audio options and FM transmitters.

No tape desk either? Even a cassette adapter would be a better option.

DroidForums Junkie!!

Detonation

Reaction score
Does your truck have a cassette player? A cassette adapter sounds way better than an FM modulator.

LaxzBro

Reaction score
Does your truck have a cassette player? A cassette adapter sounds way better than an FM modulator.

This is your best bet.

And to whoever said the X has good output, you're kidding right?

Lax bro, closet geek

OP
R

rww

Reaction score
No tape deck, and no option of swapping the radio out either. The truck is a state owned dump truck. The am/fm is decent though. Just wishing I could use my phone to hear my music. Sorry about cross-posting. I will check the other forum and thank you guys for your help.