Can you take calls thru the Aux jack in the car?

SKUDRIVER

Reaction score
So I was driving & cranking the tunes on the Droid thru the Aux jack when I had a call come thru. Never happened before & I answered it. The music stopped & I could hear the caller thru my car speakers but they could not hear me when I spoke so I had to unplug it to speak.

Is there a way to enable this? If so that would be awesome. I do have a Jawbone for the car but did not have it with me then. I would much rather utilize it thru the speakers if it's possible.

Thanks

pyro6128

Reaction score
theres nothing to enable, you just have to speak loud enough so they can hear you.

brando56894

Reaction score
It works fine for me on my rooted moto droid, I do it all the time. I have a pioneer head unit with the aux jack in the front and I just connect my droid to it via a standard stereo audio cable.

I love that it stops your music because that was always a PITA for me while I'm driving, I usually have my music blasting and cant hear the ringer. It's also a lot less distracting since you don't have to turn down your music, grab your phone, see whos calling and answer it.

I need to get a car dock because right now I just either lay it on my lap or put it on the passenger seat. Not to mention using it during my ride back and forth from college to home (about an hour and a half) kinda kills the battery and to save it I have to keep turning the screen off.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use it a lot. I normally have it in the window mount listening to Slacker or Pandora when an incoming call happens. I just lean forward a bit and talk normally. It's a great way to be hands free. I never had much success though not plugged into the aux jack and then an incoming call happens and I plug it in, it doesn't seem to work then.

OP
S

SKUDRIVER

Reaction score
So it should just work then?
I'll have to mess with it some more.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I was driving & cranking the tunes on the Droid thru the Aux jack when I had a call come thru. Never happened before & I answered it. The music stopped & I could hear the caller thru my car speakers but they could not hear me when I spoke so I had to unplug it to speak.
Where was the Droid itself physically located when you tried to talk?

Never used this myself. One of our cars has factory bluetooth and I don't take or receive calls in the other car.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
It works for me all the time. However the position of the phone at the time of the call is crucial. No one ever hears me if the phone is in my lap, but if it is level with the steering wheel there is never a problem.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The AUX jack will only handle audio out, so you'll need to make sure the mic is still in speaking range. I usually can keep the phone on my lap when I drive and it works great.

Snowbomb7

Reaction score
So it should just work then?
I'll have to mess with it some more.

I have mine in a A/C vent cradle which is next to my steering wheel. I use it all the time HOWEVER, if the volume is too loud, the caller will hear a horrible echo and it becomes inconvenient for the caller.

This counts as Hands-free device and you will not get a ticket in the State of CA for using it this way. 23123 CVC

rcfx

Reaction score
I use mine like LtKen, on my lap, when a call comes the music stops and my loud ringer starts blaring. I answer it and never move it. Just make sure your media volume is turned up or they won't hear you.

Sent from Droid via Tapatalk

dwagner88

Reaction score
I think that the droid actually turns up its mic sensitivity automatically in this situation, because I usually have mine sitting on the passenger seat and I can be heard on the other end if I just speak normally.

OP
S

SKUDRIVER

Reaction score
Messed with it last night & it worked fine. You were right about the proximity. When I had it closer to me, the caller could hear fine. I was thinking about a car dock anyway & think it would put the phone at the perfect level/distance. Thank for the help.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for those who do use the phone to answer calls, are you always listening to music/pandora/slacker and receive calls with it only. In other words, lets say you were listening to FM radio, you get a call, and you flip it over to the aux position and plug into the jack, can you still receive the call via your speakers hands free?

How about calling out. Can you be plugged in, on aux, and then dial out and the party you are calling comes through the car speakers?

rcfx

Reaction score
I use a one touch dialer program, mecontacts I think, anyway I can be listening to Pandora and go to the dialer with the music on, push who I want to call and the music pauses, and on with the call. When I hang up or he does, music comes right back on. Works smooth as glass!

Sent from Droid via Tapatalk

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for those who do use the phone to answer calls, are you always listening to music/pandora/slacker and receive calls with it only. In other words, lets say you were listening to FM radio, you get a call, and you flip it over to the aux position and plug into the jack, can you still receive the call via your speakers hands free?

How about calling out. Can you be plugged in, on aux, and then dial out and the party you are calling comes through the car speakers?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I think the answer is yes....