No manufacturer warranty a huge deal?

Ry-on

Reaction score
Im currently on a family share plan, Im working on leaving that contract for one of my own. My phone is not yet eligible for an upgrade so I would be using another phone on the plans upgrade no big deal there. Although Im told I would lose the manufacturer warranty if I upgrade then leave to my own contract. So I guess two questions would be is there anyway around that? If not Im going to get the Droid so are there alot of problems with it? Like would anyone happen to know if Id be alright without the m.w?

I would wait until my upgrade but the Voyager is absolute trash and it would be my eleventh one so I dont want to go that route any longer.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd recommend getting the Asurion insurance, or some sort of insurance other that just relying on the manufacturers warranty.

It's well worth the 6 or 7 bucks a month, and you can get a replacement for ANY reason. Accidents happen. Better safe than sorry.

It's a first gen device, so a mfg's warranty isn't a bad thing... there are bound to be lemons :)

OP
R

Ry-on

Reaction score
I'd recommend getting the Asurion insurance, or some sort of insurance other that just relying on the manufacturers warranty.

It's well worth the 6 or 7 bucks a month, and you can get a replacement for ANY reason. Accidents happen. Better safe than sorry.

It's a first gen device, so a mfg's warranty isn't a bad thing... there are bound to be lemons :)

I do plan on getting the higher end insurance but I will not have a manufacturers warranty if I do this by tomorrow like I would like to, for the reason my phone isnt eligible for an upgrade yet and Verizon wont give me an early upgrade.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do plan on getting the higher end insurance but I will not have a manufacturers warranty if I do this by tomorrow like I would like to, for the reason my phone isnt eligible for an upgrade yet and Verizon wont give me an early upgrade.

Maybe I'm having a little trouble following you but why wouldn't Verizon give you an early upgrade? They gave me one and I was a good 8 months before renewal.

I'd suggest calling Verizon, not going to a store, and telling them you're not happy with your current phone and ask what they can do for you? If the first person says no, try again.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
...I would wait until my upgrade but the Voyager is absolute trash and it would be my eleventh one so I dont want to go that route any longer.

If you've gone through 10 (!) phones in a single contract period, I can understand why a warranty would be important to you. I can also understand why VZW might hesitate to give you one.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Maybe I'm having a little trouble following you but why wouldn't Verizon give you an early upgrade? They gave me one and I was a good 8 months before renewal.

I'd suggest calling Verizon, not going to a store, and telling them you're not happy with your current phone and ask what they can do for you? If the first person says no, try again.
I agree. I upgraded 12 months early to the Droid and I got a warranty!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If not Im going to get the Droid so are there alot of problems with it? Like would anyone happen to know if Id be alright without the m.w?
Generally, no, but there are certainly people who have had problems that were covered by the warranty. I'm not understanding why the warranty would be invalidated.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
If not Im going to get the Droid so are there alot of problems with it? Like would anyone happen to know if Id be alright without the m.w?
Generally, no, but there are certainly people who have had problems that were covered by the warranty. I'm not understanding why the warranty would be invalidated.

I'm equally confused. I'm not sure why buying the phone in any capacity doesn't garner the manufacturer's warranty. It isn't VZW that loses money if you get it replaced, it is the manufacturer...which is Motorola. Why would VZW care?