No HD video playback with ICS?

Discussion in 'Droid Razr and Razr Maxx ICS discussion' started by silverdreams, Jul 4, 2012.

1. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

So I installed the ICS update yesterday on my Droid RAZR MAXX. I watch a lot of video on the phone. I went to watch some anime in Netflix and immediately said "WTF?" The quality is horrible. The best word to describe it would be "fuzzy." I tried rebooting, and clearing the cache and data for Netflix, but no dice. Then I had a thought. I launched YouTube, and... same problem. HD videos are not playing the same quality they were under GB in YouTube, either. They almost look as if they have some kind of fuzzy filter on top. Not quite the same as the low quality version I remember seeing if I was on a slow connection (I was on WiFi, cellular data connection at my home is practically non-existent).

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Are there any obscure settings I can look into to try to solve the problem, or is my only hope a factory reset? *shudders*

Edited to upload a side-by-comparison screenshot showing the problem, with Netflix playback on my computer on the left, and on my Razr on the right (click for full view!):

Comparison01.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  2. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea....I experience this as well. I think there might need to be a patch, update for this one...
  3. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

Hmmmm... I've been continuing to search for others with the same problem, and so far have only found one aside from jroc. The possibilities seem thus: 1) Nobody uses their Razr to play HD video so they haven't noticed a problem (...unlikely?), 2) People watch HD video but just haven't noticed the drop in quality (also seems unlikely), 3) This is a rare glitch that requires a factory reset to fix. Number 3 seems the most likely answer to me, sadly. I have the day off, so I guess I'm off to try a factory reset. I will report back.

For what it's worth, the GPS stopped working a few weeks ago, and a factory reset fixed that for me. Fingers crossed it will fix this other critical problem.
  4. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

There was another thread on this and we are all experiencing the same poor pic quality on netflix, they need to fix this problem soon, this was one of the selling points on the razr when it first came out, i for one want it back, factory reset will not fix the problem

point of origin
    1 person likes this.
  5. blake28

blake28 New Member

From what I've learned, the problem is due to flash not working properly. I've heard people saying that FDR's have worked and that they haven't worked.

With me, my flash is working on and off and its just the luck of the draw on what site it works. But I know the flash is working, b/c it plays in HD. When flash isn't working, the ****ty picture will play. I have done everything short of a factory reset, and was goin to do that, but I heard that wasn't fixing the issue either, so I decided not to go through the hassle for not fixing the problem. However, I would do it if it would fix the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  6. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

I'm back. Add me to the list of people who were not helped by a FDR. :p

Could you please share the link to that other thread, xtor?
  7. 1coopgt

1coopgt Member

Netflix
    Just my 2cents. I'm thinking this is a cache problem . I tried the movie Starship Troopers and it was fuzzy at first then cleared up. This was over 4g .
  8. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

I don't think it's a cache problem. I grit my teeth and watched a full episode of a webshow on YouTube, and the quality never improved.
  9. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me....over Wifi in my apt. But....Lets Golf 2 starts with a video clip. Same fuzziness. I already did a factory reset and its still there.
  10. blake28

blake28 New Member

Can u clear cache from stock recovery?? Or for u have to be rooted and do it form clock work or whatever it is with the RAZR?? I have only had my phone for 2½weeks, and I haven't attempted to go there yet with this phone like I did with my X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  11. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

I installed Flash and got it working, with no effect on video playback quality in YouTube and Netflix.

And here's something I happened to notice after messing with things and testing in Netflix: For a split second after I hit the back button to get out of a video, the video clears up! Just for a split second, but I've seen it happen again and again. So close, and yet so far... :mad:

Edited to add: By the way, is everyone who is experiencing this problem rooted? I wondered if maybe the problem is due to shenanigans with apps restricting access or features for rooted users. I temporarily unrooted using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper, and that didn't help.
  12. bodieism

bodieism New Member

I'm rooted. I also tried temp. unroot using Voodoo to no avail.

I also tried clearing the app settings cache & data as well as uninstalling and reinstalling. No luck. Haven't tried a FDR reset yet.
  13. eldaino

eldaino New Member

first time posting, directed over here from a fellow motorola forums member.

just wanna confirm that this is a major issue, and i thought it was my imagination as well, but it SO isnt.

whose fault is this? netflix? or motorolas implementation of ics? i used to love watching netflix on my phone...now....meh. such a shame. its nice having netflix that plays back in quality that rivals higher res screens :angry:
  14. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

I'm not having this issue. Netflix in HD looks great on my Razr Maxx w/ ICS 4.04. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I have not installed Flash.

It appears to not affect all Razr ICS users. Maybe I'm just lucky (knocks on Gorilla Glass).
  15. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

I don't know how to tell if hd is on, but netflix looks good on mine.
  16. Abaddon

Abaddon New Member

I noticed this as well. I am not rooted, did a FDR and have the flash plugin installed. I thought maybe it was just Netflix at first but then I noticed that youtube vids don't look as good as they did before even if HD is selected. When I get home I may uninstall Flash and try to see if there is any improvement. Not sure why that would cause a problem but you never now.
  17. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

I just added a side-by-side comparison image to the first post. Take a look even if you think you don't have the problem, it's possible you haven't noticed it.
  18. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics.

What I do notice on my RAZR its like it pulses....clear...fuzzy...clear...fuzzy....it may or may not eventually fix itself later in the video, but it does pulse.
  19. toneyl

toneyl New Member

Mine is clear... Starship Troopers on Netflix. I did a FDR before and after the upgrade (never been rooted). I checked The Hobbit Trailer HD on YouTube and it's just as clear as my PC.

What show/time clip did you post? Maybe my old eyes are bad and we can compare screenshots. :)
  20. silverdreams

silverdreams New Member

Mine doesn't pulse... just stays that fuzzy constantly.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Part 2, episode 12, "Doorway of Darkness," time was 3:45 I believe.
Search tags for this page
android ics youtube bad quality

droid bionic netflix no video

droid razor no picture when watching video

droid razr maxx youtube netflix not working

droid razr no video netflix

droid x hd video playback

how to play hd videos on youtube on ics

netflix android 4.2.1 no picture only sound

netflix android no picture

netflix droid razr no video

netflix no video android ics