No Email or Text Message Notification?

fvultee

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got my Droid X this morning, configured for exchange and gmail. I do get emails and texts to the phone, however there is NO notification sound, vibrate, visual indication anywhere. If I want to know whether I have a new email or text I have to click on the messaging icons to fire up email/text. I know I should get a notification, have them turned on to notify me with sound and vibrate, but nothing... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Forrest

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
go into settings>sounds and make sure your notifications are configured then into each app to do the same thing.

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
go into settings>sounds and make sure your notifications are configured then into each app to do the same thing.

? I don't see any email or text application specific settings under settings/sounds & display

Only a place to set notification ringtone. If I configure notification within email or text while they are running they are all configured to vibrate, play a tone, etc. Any other ideas? Oh, I've also set it to blink the light, but that doesn't happen either.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
in settings will only be the stock setting for all notification apps. i was just saying make sure its turned on and to a basic one so you know its on.

from there make sure each app is configured (open app>menu>settings will usually do it) and check those too

led will not work unless the screen is off. and makre sure silent mode is off

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
in settings will only be the stock setting for all notification apps. i was just saying make sure its turned on and to a basic one so you know its on.

from there make sure each app is configured (open app>menu>settings will usually do it) and check those too

led will not work unless the screen is off. and makre sure silent mode is off

Yep, stock setting notification is on. Application specific setting for email notification is turned on, sound configured, vibrate on as well, still nothing.

Do i need to put a specific widget on my screen to see/hear these, or should the appear as I've configured to show up in the status bar?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
they should appear in teh status bar..

so youve tested this new setup now?

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
they should appear in teh status bar..

so youve tested this new setup now?

Yep. I got an email on the phone saying you had responded to this thread, but the status bar never gave me any indication and there was no sound either. I am using LauncherPro Plus, but it's configured to leave the status bar alone.

Ok so i just sent myself a text message and i got a tone, blinking light, and vibrate. Also the status bar shows a message now. Not so for email thought, just sent an email and nothing...

Last edited:

ncargat1

Reaction score
fvultee, if you figure anything out, please post because I am having the same issue on my Droid 2.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Are you using a task killer? I've known them to interfere with email push and notifications. Sometimes adjusting ignore list can fix this. Also, try a battery pull and reboot.

Last edited:

ncargat1

Reaction score
I do not even know what a task killer is. FYI....this is a brand new device to me and the IT department set this up for me.

To be specific, I do receive notifications until the screen goes into Sleep Mode, then nothing until I do in and wake it up and select the email app. Only then do new messages seem to be "pushed" and I receive notification??

Thanks.

ninefall

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Occasionally it works, but most of the time I have to click on my email icon and then the emails show up.

ncargat1

Reaction score
After a bunch of reading on Motorola and Droid Forums I have a found a solution. I had previously played with every setting, re-installed my email account and did the factory reset of the phone. Nothing worked.

Finally, I downloaded an App called TouchDown. It sets up to work with my exchange email account. It is simple to set up and even easier to use. I immediately started getting alerts from TouchDown and the native email client. Unfortunately, it is not a free app, but it is worth the money to me to have my phone work correctly.

Good luck.

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
After a bunch of reading on Motorola and Droid Forums I have a found a solution. I had previously played with every setting, re-installed my email account and did the factory reset of the phone. Nothing worked.

Finally, I downloaded an App called TouchDown. It sets up to work with my exchange email account. It is simple to set up and even easier to use. I immediately started getting alerts from TouchDown and the native email client. Unfortunately, it is not a free app, but it is worth the money to me to have my phone work correctly.

Good luck.

I assume in all your reading you also noticed that you can get TouchDown for free to address this problem before 2.2 comes out.

elPrez

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with notifications...I get the alert that I have a text or email and I slide the bar down to see what it is BUT when I touch it it changes to NO NOTIFICATION and I have to open the email or text app???