no checkout lines

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
was just reading that Kroger is about to go to a scan and go system. you scan the items as you pick them up, then pay for them through the phone app and just walk out the store without going through the checkout line. you just have to go through the self checkout lane (according to the article)

Kroger is the next grocery chain hoping to cut checkout lines

I just got back from Sams Club and that is how I checked out. One thing though, you still have to stand in line as you leave so someone can make sure you paid for everything. I also found that even though you scan the items, for some reason items do drop off so you have to recheck everything before leaving the store or get picked up for shoplifting.

what do you think, would you or do you use the scan and go system?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally I would use it all the time. For me it was normally that I could get through the line quick scan my stuff, bag it the way I wanted it bagged, and be out. Since I have used the self checkout not once have my stuff been left behind, had bags break on me, had yogurt crushed and leaking at the bottom of my bag. So for me it was win/win, no attitude from the cashier who didn't want to be there, no long lines, just in out and on with life.

Then I had a debate with someone about how awesome self checkout lines were. Then he asked me about if I considered the fact that by going electronic I was taking a person's job from them. My thought was "hey old man back off, just because you hate technology and can't figure out how to use it ....".

He was so convinced of that he said he would tell cashiers that they were "stupid" to send him to the self checkout line as they were saying they did not need their jobs.

Though I ended the conversation with him that I would continue my self checkout lines I actually found myself hearing his point. If a machine can do the job of a person then why do they need the person?

So now I will stand in line and just wait for the person to ring me up. For one it is a good opportunity to try and be nice to someone and ask them about their day. I am not saying that I will never use the self checkout again. If the other lines are ridiculously long and I am in a hurry then I am going to the self checkout. But if I can spare the time I'll try and go through the regular lines.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
was just reading that Kroger is about to go to a scan and go system. you scan the items as you pick them up, then pay for them through the phone app and just walk out the store without going through the checkout line. you just have to go through the self checkout lane (according to the article)

I just got back from Sams Club and that is how I checked out. One thing though, you still have to stand in line as you leave so someone can make sure you paid for everything. I also found that even though you scan the items, for some reason items do drop off so you have to recheck everything before leaving the store or get picked up for shoplifting.

I totally misread what you posted lol. I was talking about self checkout and you were talking about scan and go. Yup....shows how well I read that post.

(sigh).

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I totally misread what you posted lol. I was talking about self checkout and you were talking about scan and go. Yup....shows how well I read that post.

(sigh).

they were both talked about. the article talked about a variation of the scan and go. you scan as you pickup the item then do whatever at the self checkout. Overall, I guess I could have been clearer. it is always good to read about other experiences.

I had a supervisor from work comment that I was taking a cashiers job at walmart when he saw me using self checkout. then I reminded him of a machine they recently purchased where I work that put over 100 people out of work. at least I still have a job :) the only way I will go through a regular line with a cashier now is if it is someone I know or some one that looks ... oh well...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You both make excellent points, very interesting. Since I drive by a Kroger everyday on my way home from work and stop there often I may have to try this out when it comes to our stores. I'm not sure I would use it all the time, but maybe for small stops. I use the self checkout lines occasionally if I have just a few items and am in a hurry. But like PC said I also like to take the time to actually converse with another human being and go through the regular line as much as possible (normally the express line though...small trips normally).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I do agree that it does replace a person's employment & because of that I will use regular checkout most times. At the same time, those jobs as well as millions of others have been replaced by industry and technology throughout history. There will be other employment needs that develop or expand; ie human service jobs such as home health care, infant- child care which machines & technology can't replace.

Sometimes people do choose the interaction connection with a real person over technology. Back in the early 80's HEB grocery stores in Austin, TX spent a fortune replacing all of their cash registers with talking registers. The cashier would scan your item, the register would report the price and when it was complete, the register would announce "your total is $$, thank you for shopping at HEB." The cashier was like a robot who only scanned your items without saying a word. People were so insulted from being talked to by a machine and the complaints poured in. Within a month HEB deactivated the computerized voice on their cash registers. Times are changing though. I have a feeling that if the same were to happen today, the reaction would be different.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I do agree that it does replace a person's employment & because of that I will use regular checkout most times. At the same time, those jobs as well as millions of others have been replaced by industry and technology throughout history. There will be other employment needs that develop or expand; ie human service jobs such as home health care, infant- child care which machines & technology can't replace.

Sometimes people do choose the interaction connection with a real person over technology. Back in the early 80's HEB grocery stores in Austin, TX spent a fortune replacing all of their cash registers with talking registers. The cashier would scan your item, the register would report the price and when it was complete, the register would announce "your total is $$, thank you for shopping at HEB." The cashier was like a robot who only scanned your items without saying a word. People were so insulted from being talked to by a machine and the complaints poured in. Within a month HEB deactivated the computerized voice on their cash registers. Times are changing though. I have a feeling that if the same were to happen today, the reaction would be different.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

just like those talking soda machines. scared the daylights out of a lot of people. tech before their times. at that time, atm machines were just coming out so people were just not used to them. I do agree, today would be a different story.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score

I would..I do something similar at the grocery store (stop and shop)'though you do have to go thru the line to pay but it's much quicker and you can bag your stuff as you pick it

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I would..I do something similar at the grocery store (stop and shop)'though you do have to go thru the line to pay but it's much quicker and you can bag your stuff as you pick it

I wonder why you cannot pay through the app that scans???

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder why you cannot pay through the app that scans???

We had the same thing at GIANT in Maryland (same owner as Stop & Shop). They don't use a phone app. You grab a scanner at the door when walk in and scan/record your purchases as you grab them off the shelf. When you're done, you plop the scanner into a Point-of-Service register that reads your recorded purchases and completes the monetary transaction. There's a "random" security check where you'll sometimes have to wait for someone to inspect your bags...but we found it to be more of a 50/50 chance. Or maybe I just don't have an honest face. :confused:

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
We had the same thing at GIANT in Maryland (same owner as Stop & Shop). They don't use a phone app. You grab a scanner at the door when walk in and scan/record your purchases as you grab them off the shelf. When you're done, you plop the scanner into a Point-of-Service register that reads your recorded purchases and completes the monetary transaction. There's a "random" security check where you'll sometimes have to wait for someone to inspect your bags...but we found it to be more of a 50/50 chance. Or maybe I just don't have an honest face. :confused:
Yeah you're right Radon, but I didn't think to mention that. I'm just getting to like that system but whenever I go with my daughter and we make a full cart, we get the random audit of our cart and have to empty everything out and that's a bummer..

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Yeah you're right Radon, but I didn't think to mention that. I'm just getting to like that system but whenever I go with my daughter and we make a full cart, we get the random audit of our cart and have to empty everything out and that's a bummer..

that would be a bummer. wonder whatever happened to rfid that would make it easy to see what is in the cart without emptying it. emptying the cart defeats the purpose of a fast checkout.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
that would be a bummer. wonder whatever happened to rfid that would make it easy to see what is in the cart without emptying it. emptying the cart defeats the purpose of a fast checkout.
True... But like Radon said once in a while you scan something and it doesn't register so they check and straighten it out. At least they don't make you feel like a criminal if that happens accidentally. They once found that I scanned a can 3 times instead of 2 and they fixed that for me too