No automatic network switching

JohnInSC

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why my bionic will not switch to 3G when 4G is not available. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why my bionic will not switch to 3G when 4G is not available. Any help would be appreciated.

This is a known issue with some phones. It is supposedly going to be fixed with the early November OTA update. A leaked version of the rumored update (.893) is available and many, such as myself, have installed it and I can say that it has finally fixed my phone. I say "finally" because at first it didn't, but then I discovered that some other mods I had done were actually negatively impacting the switch. My phone now immediately goes to 3G when I turn off wifi. It will switch to 3G every time I switch the phone from cdma/lte to only cdma while in a 4G area.

So, bottom line is that this bug will be fixed soon.

OP
J

JohnInSC

Reaction score
Thanks for the info BayouFlyFisher. I think I will wait for the OTA update, since this is not a critical issue for me.

OP
J

JohnInSC

Reaction score
Just happened to notice that my phone is automatically switching from 4G to 3G and back, so I guess the update fixed it!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just happened to notice that my phone is automatically switching from 4G to 3G and back, so I guess the update fixed it!

I was in a 4G area today at lunch and I forced it to switch from 4G to 3G and back several times. It worked like a charm each time. I've done the 5.7.893 update too. Not sure it really provided anything new and different. It is reported as slightly improving the LTE radio in terms of strength of signal. I'm not in 4G enough to comment on that but others have reported having better signal strength.

Good luck.

xmguy

Reaction score
Mine drops data all the time. After being in standby (screen off). After ending a call even drops randomly during use. Even dropped off as I was pulling up this thread. I'm in a CDMA / 3G only area. Forced CDMA. Strong signal.