4G/3G switching problem

BeyondReality

Reaction score
I have a Droid Bionic in NJ. They recently upgraded a tower by my town that is 4G so I get 4G reception but only 1 bar. It seems to drop out frequently and than revert to 3G. The problem is that I loose data connection while it is switching and have to wait for it to reconnect. Is there any way to fix this or set it for 3G only?

mamawm

Reaction score
yes, you can set it to 3g only. go into settings>wireless &networks>mobile networks> and select cdma only.

OP
BeyondReality

BeyondReality

Reaction score
Id rather not disabled 4G all together, is their a way to make the data connection shift seemlessly from 3G/4G and vise versa? Or is it two completely different towers and it causes that delay in the shift?

mamawm

Reaction score
For me the switch from 3g to 4g is quite seamless, but going from 4g to 3g does take a few seconds to a minute. I don't know why that is. And I honestly don't know about the towers. Maybe one of the really smart guys will be along before to long.

Insidious

Reaction score
BeyondReality said:
I have a Droid Bionic in NJ. They recently upgraded a tower by my town that is 4G so I get 4G reception but only 1 bar. It seems to drop out frequently and than revert to 3G. The problem is that I loose data connection while it is switching and have to wait for it to reconnect. Is there any way to fix this or set it for 3G only?

Right now, all 4g lte phones use an authentication protocol called (I think) ehrpd, and the issue is, that current gen radios don't work as well with the protocol. Also you are switching from one radio and ultimately one network technology to another. (Cdma to GSM), so inherently there will be some delay. Now, the whole protocol thing I stated earlier is something I'm not entirely sure about so maybe one of the more knowledgeable folks can chime in on that one.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's normal. I'm not sure how it works though. Cause when I first went to 904 i was flipping between 4G and 3G seamlessly. Then I went to 905, didn't like it, and went back to 904, and lost it. Now (either 904 or 905) I usually loose data then switch, or completely loose data (do 3G or 4G icon).

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
@OP

Give the app bionic tcp a try. I found on a few forums people swear by it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums