Nexus Gets Multi-Touch, But not Droid..Yet?

liamjbman10

Reaction score
I was on the internet and looked up at this nexus update by google. Yes, multi-touch for them but for us? Cmon google, or Motorola or who ever decides updates for us. The best phone for Verizon doesn't even have the basic functionality of most of the phones on the market. You guys agree that this multitouch issue is getting annoying? or you agree with the google guy saying "using 2 fingers doesn't make sense? and you think multitouch will come with 2.1? A lot of questions, sorry.

"Starting today, Nexus One users will begin to receive an over-the-air software update on their phones. This update provides some great new features, and fixes a few problems that some users might have experienced, including:

Google Goggles: this mobile application will now be available directly on your device by launching it from your All Apps menu. Just use your Nexus One camera to start searching the web

Google Maps: the Maps application with be updated to a new version, Google Maps 3.4, which will include:
Starred items synchronized with maps.google.com - access your favorite places from your phone or computer
Search suggestions from your personal maps.google.com history - makes it easy to search for places you've searched for before
Night mode in Google Maps Navigation - automatically changes your screen at night for easier viewing and driving

Pinch-to-zoom functionality: devices will now include a new pinch-to-zoom mechanism in the phone's Browser, Gallery and Maps applications

3G connectivity: we will provide a general fix to help improve 3G connectivity on some Nexus One phones"

Nexus One | News and Updates

And yes I know you can mod. I have don't worry. I want it build out of the box. but with our amazing community we could probably just port over the nexus multi touch browser to DROID?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was on the internet and looked up at this nexus update by google. Yes, multi-touch for them but for us? Cmon google, or Motorola or who ever decides updates for us. The best phone for Verizon doesn't even have the basic functionality of most of the phones on the market. You guys agree that this multitouch issue is getting annoying? or you agree with the google guy saying "using 2 fingers doesn't make sense? and you think multitouch will come with 2.1? A lot of questions, sorry.

"Starting today, Nexus One users will begin to receive an over-the-air software update on their phones. This update provides some great new features, and fixes a few problems that some users might have experienced, including:

Google Goggles: this mobile application will now be available directly on your device by launching it from your All Apps menu. Just use your Nexus One camera to start searching the web

Google Maps: the Maps application with be updated to a new version, Google Maps 3.4, which will include:
Starred items synchronized with maps.google.com - access your favorite places from your phone or computer
Search suggestions from your personal maps.google.com history - makes it easy to search for places you've searched for before
Night mode in Google Maps Navigation - automatically changes your screen at night for easier viewing and driving

Pinch-to-zoom functionality: devices will now include a new pinch-to-zoom mechanism in the phone's Browser, Gallery and Maps applications

3G connectivity: we will provide a general fix to help improve 3G connectivity on some Nexus One phones"

And yes I know you can mod. I have don't worry. I want it build out of the box. but with our amazing community we could probably just port over the nexus multi touch browser to DROID?

I think there's a pretty good discussion on this in the android forum:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-smart-phones/20027-nexus-one-update-multitouch.html

It is coming for the Droid as well. We all will have it eventually.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
They have already ported the Milestone (Europe's version of the Droid) multi-touch browser to the Droid. I think you have to be rooted to use it though.

The Droid will undoubtdly get multi-touch when it gets 2.1. Google has been busy fixing the N1's bugs. No reason to port 2.1 to other phones when there are known problems. Hopefully now they can concentrate on the Droid update.

OP
liamjbman10

liamjbman10

Reaction score

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-smart-phones/20027-nexus-one-update-multitouch.html

ah thanks for that. I didn't look in that section.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The best phone for Verizon doesn't even have the basic functionality of most of the phones on the market.
That's a bit of hyperbole. Most phones on the market aren't even smartphones.

S

shrugger

The best phone for Verizon doesn't even have the basic functionality of most of the phones on the market.
That's a bit of hyperbole. Most phones on the market aren't even smartphones.

Hyperbole, but not really true at all. I've been using multi-touch on my non-rooted Droid for a couple months. You just can't do it with the stock apps. Plenty of apps in the marketplace implement this just fine.

rican408

Reaction score
There are so many options for multitouch. Who needs 2.1? Ive got the milestone browser. Multitouch 2.1 gallery. I love it

natty_lite

Reaction score
liamjbman10 said:

That's somewhat an exaggeration to refer to multi touch as a basic feature. There aren't really alot of phones with capacitive screens to even support multi touch gesturing, let alone pinch to zoom web browsers and pictures. That's far from a basic feature.

FYI, I currently have all of those features, including multi touch Maps, Browser, and 3D gallery running on my rooted phone, right now.

iPirate

Reaction score
multitouch would be useful in maps and gallery but not the browser, for me

nolanandy

Reaction score

That's the same thing that was said about 2.1 for the droid. We will get it eventually also.

It's disappointing that it's taking this long.

LOL. eventually we will get everything....this is why the Droid is the 2nd class phone to Google. This is a reason why Nokia, LG and other phone maker did not use Android OS. Motorola is far so behind in this market. Their time had passed, remember the Razor.

Like I've said in the other thread, if N1 ever comes to Verizon...the Droid is done. The N1 is more likely a Droid killer than iPhone killer. By the time we get 2.1, the N1 probably already have 2.2.

iPirate

Reaction score

That's the same thing that was said about 2.1 for the droid. We will get it eventually also.

It's disappointing that it's taking this long.

LOL. eventually we will get everything....this is why the Droid is the 2nd class phone to Google. This is a reason why Nokia, LG and other phone maker did not use Android OS. Motorola is far so behind in this market. Their time had passed, remember the Razor.

Like I've said in the other thread, if N1 ever comes to Verizon...the Droid is done. The N1 is more likely a Droid killer than iPhone killer. By the time we get 2.1, the N1 probably already have 2.2.
wow man, never try to talk someone out of suicide.

Motorola is behind in this market? what market, making ****ty phones? Droid is awesome has sold millions and is one of the most advance smartphones available. LG has Android phones btw.

Why would the N1 kill the Droid? N1's additional features, lack of keyboard and OLED screen are not something I would switch for. But the differences between the iPhone and N1 are enough for people to switch to the N1.