Nexus 6P's Camera Sensor Glass 'Visor' is Cracking for Some Users

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok my question is how many people have actually been effected. So far that photo is just that one person whose phone was posted on all the forums and news sites. I am not trying to act like there may not be a problem. I just want to know if there are more that just one person with the issue.

I can see this 2 ways: 1) It is Huawei who is mainly known overseas and among non contract carriers so there could be a serious QA issue (company in China).

2) This is nothing new as the nexus 6 had reports of the backs coming off, and the Nexus 5 had issues with the speaker. Those with issues are likely a few and they should be able to get a RMA.

Either way it is good you posted this @dgstorm. No matter if it is 0.5% of people or more. Back when I had my Droid I was able to get a new Droid because I showed a rep a post where motorola commented on a forum that they were aware of the headphone jack issue and that there are a few devices where it was a result of faulty hardware on their end. If someone do have this issue and they can point that there is a possible trend and it is not them tossing their phone against a wall.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok my question is how many people have actually been effected. So far that photo is just that one person whose phone was posted on all the forums and news sites. I am not trying to act like there may not be a problem. I just want to know if there are more that just one person with the issue.

I can see this 2 ways: 1) It is Huawei who is mainly known overseas and among non contract carriers so there could be a serious QA issue (company in China).

2) This is nothing new as the nexus 6 had reports of the backs coming off, and the Nexus 5 had issues with the speaker. Those with issues are likely a few and they should be able to get a RMA.

Either way it is good you posted this @dgstorm. No matter if it is 0.5% of people or more. Back when I had my Droid I was able to get a new Droid because I showed a rep a post where motorola commented on a forum that they were aware of the headphone jack issue and that there are a few devices where it was a result of faulty hardware on their end. If someone do have this issue and they can point that there is a possible trend and it is not them tossing their phone against a wall.
Good point, except that there are at least 3 different phones in the pics that stormy posted. 1 aluminum & 2 black, based on a quick glance of how they've shattered.

If you took the time to study then further, maybe the other black phones have different patterns too, but at least one black one is shattered like crazy, while the other one is "lightly" cracked.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good point, except that there are at least 3 different phones in the pics that stormy posted. 1 aluminum & 2 black, based on a quick glance of how they've shattered.

If you took the time to study then further, maybe the other black phones have different patterns too, but at least one black one is shattered like crazy, while the other one is "lightly" cracked.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Save this thread JK. Hopefully you wont need it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This could be heat related as that area usually hosts processors that generate a lot of heat. My black tpu case was discolored in that top portion of the phone from a year of temperature variations.

Then again, if that part of glass protrudes above metal case even a fraction of a millimeter, it will be the first to come in contact with what ever and rest is history.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Well, from a repairability standpoint, its not that bad. The glass is one of the first two things you have to take off to get the phone apart anyway. Since its first, and already broken, you could order a new visor, and pop it in. Quick and easy. Would be worse if that glass made up the entire back of the phone!