Nexus 6P's Camera Sensor Glass 'Visor' is Cracking for Some Users

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-6p-visor-cracking.jpg

A chink in the armor of the nearly invincible new Google Nexus 6P has sadly appeared over the weekend, and it is quite literal. While reviews regarding Google and Huawei's latest Nexus device have been very good across the board, it seems there is an issue cropping up that couldn't be found in initial reviews. Several users have experienced that their camera sensor "visor's" glass has cracked spontaneously.

As you can see from the pics above (and a couple more in the thread below), the camera glass cover has indeed cracked. According to the reports from each of these users, it didn't happen because of an impact, but simply showed up randomly. While this seems implausible from a cursory analysis, the theories which have been popping up on Reddit actually have some merit.

The prevailing idea is that it is a heating/rapid cooling related issue. Specifically, if a user has been using the camera extensively, then the camera sensor and the phone's internals heat up the glass. Once they stop using the camera, the visor glass then goes through a rapid cooling, which can weaken the glass. If a user puts pressure on the glass, or even just around the glass edge by casually gripping the device, then the weakened glass could crack from the combined effects.

It's not too far-fetched of an idea. One of the Reddit users even pointed out the Gorilla Glass' tempering method could ironically be exacerbating this issue. Here's a quote with more of the details,
But isn't this the supposedly tough Gorilla Glass? Yes, but, according to another "non-expert" Redditor, the tempering method used for the protective glass might ironically actually make it weaker to sheer impact (versus head on impact) and being pressed on the wrong angle. There have been some proven methods to counteract this flaw, like using small plastic shock rings between case and glass. Sadly, the Nexus 6P's visor doesn't have such a mitigating element. ~ SlashGear

If this turns out to be a wide-spread issue, it could be a black eye on an otherwise excellent first partnership Nexus device between Huawei and Google. We suspect that both companies are looking into the issue aggressively and will find a way to make things right for those affected by it (now and in the future).

Here's our dedicated Nexus 6P section for further discussion: Nexus 6P by Huawei | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are all the images of those cracked Nexus 6P camera visors:

nexus-6p-camera-glass-cracked-1.jpg

nexus-6p-camera-glass-cracked-2.jpg

nexus-6p-camera-glass-cracked-3.jpg

nexus-6p-camera-glass-cracked-4.jpg

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'd like someone to replicate it. Not with my phone though!! :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I find it interesting that this one is so different from the others. I don't expect exactly the same crack patterns by any means if this is truly spontaneous, but this one look SO much different than the others.

Hoping this isn't/doesn't become widespread and maybe just a handful of flukes.

Idk how you'd replicate spontaneous cracking on cue. Would be nice to know if these people are coming in from the cold or vice versa and/or using the phone like crazy so it gets hot and then setting it on a very cold surface?

If the thermal properties of the different materials are to blame instead of how they're put together, I'd thank that would be easier to replicate than if it's just the construction.

EDIT: We've also already got 2 pages on this topic, but I failed to include any of the pics directly in the thread, so I'd like to see this one stay open for faster reference. Some Nexus 6P's back camera glass spontaneously shattering? | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Though glass is pretty and sleek feeling, this is why i'd rather have a slightly thicker and heavier phone but with an aluminum backing.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Every time a phone gets released it takes a few weeks for the Gripe Patrol to find some "thing" to declare as a major fault. They wail and stomp their feet telling people how surprised and disappointed they are that deviceX was released with such a flaw... Then after a month or two they disappear for the most part, only occasionally popping up to tell someone to "watch out!". The supposed major flaw inevitably turns out to be a handful (.05%) of customers, and the flaw can only be replicated after meeting a set of extremely specific variables.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see your post on this @Jonny Kansas. Still, this is a big enough issue that it needed a front page news post, so thanks for adding your story link to this one.

For anyone who wants to comment further on this topic, feel free to use either thread.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Couldn't agree more if this is a real issue. I've been checking mine every once in a while since I first read about it.

Some are reporting hearing a popping sound when it happens. Device ID supposedly just sitting there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
IF it is a big issue, I hope Google will replace without issues.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
IF it is a big issue, I hope Google will replace without issues.
One of the stories I read on this issue said that Google had directed some of the complainers to contact Huawei directly. Kinda makes sense, since they're actually the ones making the phones. Hopefully their support for repairs/replacements is as good as the support I and other received when contacting them about less important issues.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Now I'm scared to remove my case... don't want to know what's hiding under there ....

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Now I'm scared to remove my case... don't want to know what's hiding under there ....
Don't do it. Don't....eh I had to check. Phew. I'm still good.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
From the looks of some of those photos, it looks like it'd be kinda hard to miss, even with the case on.

Funny story, that first (was it the only) iphone with a glass back, I had a gf that had one. For some reason, I went to take the case off of it at one point to check something out and discovered that the back had shattered in there one of the times she'd dropped it.

An entire back that's glass scares me, but I wasn't nearly as worried about the visor until I started seeing these stories.

My cases are in the mail and I've said before that I was gonna rock the phone naked at first, but I'll be slapping one of them on right away and keeping it there for a while...as soon as I decide which one I like better.

If nothing else, both look made to keep the visor off of surfaces when set down, even the one that appears to not cover most of it.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Hmm. That extremely small bezel surrounds better than half of that glass area-could be a contributing factor. Just some rough handling or a drop onto a close surface might be enough to cause this. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next week or so.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm. That extremely small bezel surrounds better than half of that glass area-could be a contributing factor. Just some rough handling or a drop onto a close surface might be enough to cause this. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next week or so.
Rough handling is one thing, but the claims here is that they're just spontaneously shattering while sitting unattended on a given surface. Hopefully it's a case of they handled it rough/dropped it and didn't notice that they'd shattered it until they picked it back up again.

If not, it's a good thing I'm in the habit of keeping my screen toward my leg when I put my phone in my pocket. Would hate for that thing to shatter little shards into my leg flesh.