Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Camera Glass Randomly Shattering

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-s7-edge-shattered-camera-glass.jpg

Samsung has been under immense scrutiny over the past several months. The most notable defect plaguing their devices has been the Note 7 battery catching fire, but many other devices have suffered similar quality control issues. Even devices not related to smartphones like a clothes washing machine had to be recalled. Now we are hearing reports that the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge rear camera glass is shattering randomly. Users are reporting that the glass shatters with no explanation even when the phone has never been dropped.

We saw a similar defect in the back glass panel on the Nexus 6P. The issue was with small particles in the glass causing it to randomly shatter. The same issue may be happening with the S7. Samsung refuses to fix the glass under warranty as they are saying the only way the glass can shatter is if it is placed under physical stress. They will only replace the lens for a $70 charge. Consumers have been complaining about this defect on Samsung's community forums since the release of the devices. Of course a law firm in Seattle is already trying to muster up a class action suite regarding the defect. Have any of you experienced this defect? My Galaxy S7 camera glass is nice and scratched up but has not shattered.

via DigitalTrends

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Unless I see the glass spontaniously shatter without any kind of stress, I'm with Samsung. A phone never being dropped doesn't matter. How many women sit on their phone because its in their back pocket? You think that pressure isn't going to cause issues? Brushing against a wall or hitting the edge of a table (things I've done numerous times) with it in my pocket could also cause issues.

Welcome to the era where no matter what people do to their own equipment, its always someone else's fault.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's called thermal stress.
When one area of a panel becomes hotter than the other, such as the center becoming hotter than the edge.
Temperature change causes the center of the glass to expand, placing stress on the glass and causing breaks and cracks.

Samsung needs to get their priorities in order. They've slimmed down their phones to the point where they crack and explode because there is no room for expansion.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So many negative comments on the forum towards Sammy the past few months. The same old negative comments by the same folks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...You get my point.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So many negative comments on the forum towards Sammy the past few months. The same old negative comments by the same folks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...You get my point.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Exactly why don't they just delete the negative fool.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's called thermal stress.
When one area of a panel becomes hotter than the other, such as the center becoming hotter than the edge.
Temperature change causes the center of the glass to expand, placing stress on the glass and causing breaks and cracks.

Samsung needs to get their priorities in order. They've slimmed down their phones to the point where they crack and explode because there is no room for expansion.
Yeah, I doubt it. If that were the case, mine wouldn't cracked by now. I've been using mine for the past 3+ weeks to fly my drone in sub zero temps and haven't had a problem. Back to the drawing board Xeene.

S7 Edge tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
samsung-s7-edge-shattered-camera-glass.jpg

Samsung has been under immense scrutiny over the past several months. The most notable defect plaguing their devices has been the Note 7 battery catching fire, but many other devices have suffered similar quality control issues. Even devices not related to smartphones like a clothes washing machine had to be recalled. Now we are hearing reports that the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge rear camera glass is shattering randomly. Users are reporting that the glass shatters with no explanation even when the phone has never been dropped.

We saw a similar defect in the back glass panel on the Nexus 6P. The issue was with small particles in the glass causing it to randomly shatter. The same issue may be happening with the S7. Samsung refuses to fix the glass under warranty as they are saying the only way the glass can shatter is if it is placed under physical stress. They will only replace the lens for a $70 charge. Consumers have been complaining about this defect on Samsung's community forums since the release of the devices. Of course a law firm in Seattle is already trying to muster up a class action suite regarding the defect. Have any of you experienced this defect? My Galaxy S7 camera glass is nice and scratched up but has not shattered.

via DigitalTrends

$70, really that is all they are charging to fix that?

I am not understanding the class action lawsuits then because about time they go through the trouble and the ruling come back that $70 worth of repair will be meaningless as people would have moved on the the S8 or 9 and that $70 after taxes and lawyer fees ends up costing the person money.

Though I can see where people may bring up the Nexus 6P as a good example for this case, it goes back to the $70 thing. As I am not going to side with just saying one side can never be right or it has to be the other's fault. We know that some impurities or manufacturing flaw can cause a phone to fail at an abnormal rate and we seen this as far back as with the Droid. With such a small number of incidences it is hard to determine if the customer or Samsung is at fault. Because the flaws are so little (compared to the overall number of devices sold/manufactured) that is falls in that range for the likelihood of a manufacturer flaw while also causing enough doubt to suspect customer damage, it raises eyebrows. But then I go back to the fact that it is $70 and I am likely to pay the money. Unless it happened in the short time I had it (a few days to even a few weeks), I cannot say with 100% certainty that I was not unknowingly at fault.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
There are hundreds of posts on this issue at Samsung site alone
Solved: s7 edge rear camera glass broken - Samsung Community - 2963
Typically happens when phone is overheating while using camera or charging.
Before anyone accuses me if negative press on Samsung, if you don't like to read facts about what's happening, move on to different thread. I don't care one way or the other. All I do is research topics posted here no matter the manufacturer, just so happens to be samsung right now.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can get a replacement kit on eBay for $5.99, and it's a really simple procedure.