Newest Nexus 5 Rumor Pegs LG Again; Android 5.0, Snapdragon 600 & 5.2" 1080p Display

recDNA

Reaction score
In the world of competition, they're fools not too.

Sony Xperia, HTC One X, HTC Evo 4G, etc. They don't have to compete. They have the best network. People choose from what they sell. Did they even carry the Nexus 4?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
In the world of competition, they're fools not too.

The market for Nexus devices doesn't appear to be one VZW is that concerned with. If you're getting a subsidized phone (as probably 95% of their subscribers do), a "mid-tier" phone for $350 retail isn't all that appealing.

Sure, those of us wanting to keep unlimited are interested in a $350 Nexus, but VZW isn't all that concerned about keeping us as customers. VZW might not be all the concerned with being #1 in subscribers and is willing to lose the marginally profitable people.

squeak

Reaction score
My unlimited plan makes me more profitable. I rarely exceed 2gb, and when I do it's not by much, but I am determined to keep it(probably equally determined to not sign a new contract), even if it means paying more so my wife and I can share minutes but not data(she's not on unlimited). I long for the day that tmo gets decent coverage in my area.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
My unlimited plan makes me more profitable. I rarely exceed 2gb, and when I do it's not by much, but I am determined to keep it(probably equally determined to not sign a new contract), even if it means paying more so my wife and I can share minutes but not data(she's not on unlimited). I long for the day that tmo gets decent coverage in my area.

It's almost like you wrote that on my behalf.

My wife will be on Verizon for another two years at least (just renewed her contract). Me on the other hand, I'm a free agent December!!

TatDroid

Reaction score
Sure, those of us wanting to keep unlimited are interested in a $350 Nexus, but VZW isn't all that concerned about keeping us as customers. VZW might not be all the concerned with being #1 in subscribers and is willing to lose the marginally profitable people.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. As a group I'd say the unlimited data "hangers on" are Verizon's MOST profitable. We pay the same monthly fee as other customers, but Verizon is not loosing the $15 to $20/month to pay off our subsidised phones. If we weren't profitable, they'd have kicked us off unlimited long ago. We're on month to month contracts - they can change the rules any time they want. Do you think Verizon lets us keep unlimited data out of the goodness of their hearts?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to disagree. As a group I'd say the unlimited data "hangers on" are Verizon's MOST profitable. We pay the same monthly fee as other customers, but Verizon is not loosing the $15 to $20/month to pay off our subsidised phones. If we weren't profitable, they'd have kicked us off unlimited long ago. We're on month to month contracts - they can change the rules any time they want. Do you think Verizon lets us keep unlimited data out of the goodness of their hearts?
last time i checked, the tiered plans are a lot more expensive then old unlimited plans. i pay $140 for 3 lines, 2 of them have smartphones with unlimited everything and 3rd is a dumb phone with unlimited text and minutes. right now the price for same package would be $160(500mb)-$485(50gb) depending on how much data you want. this is why unlimited data plans sell for $400 per line on ebay.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to disagree. As a group I'd say the unlimited data "hangers on" are Verizon's MOST profitable. We pay the same monthly fee as other customers, but Verizon is not loosing the $15 to $20/month to pay off our subsidised phones.

More like $10/mo...Also, if I look at a single individual plan, I'd end-up paying $20/mo MORE than I do now, and only have 2gigs of data. Sure, they still make money on most of their unlimited users (because most don't use 100gigs a month).

Verizon hasn't simply kicked people off unlimited because that's not how they do business. Heck, not that long ago there were still people on grandfathered Vodafone contracts. They could and would make more money off these people, but VZW has always honored their grandfathered contracts.

squeak

Reaction score
You must be a galaxy nexus launch day purchaser like myself. My wife recently got an iphone 5. No other carriers have decent coverage in my area. Att has 4g in town but not out in the county. I'm tempted by wifi calling on tmo but a phone would do me no good driving to and from work, outside at home, while camping, or at the river.
It's almost like you wrote that on my behalf.

My wife will be on Verizon for another two years at least (just renewed her contract). Me on the other hand, I'm a free agent December!!