Newb's read this....common misconceptions, errors, and commonly asked questions

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would like to get others to chime in and help me build this up. But I am finding that as new people join the same questions get asked over and over and over and over.

SO.....let's try to put a bunch of answers here for easy reference. This way if nothing else it will help eliminate reoccurring threads about the same topic's as well as provide a single source of information for common questions.

Anti Virus= there is NO need for Anti Virus on your device as of yet. Unless of course you want to slow it down with more useless software

Automated Task Killers= these have no place on your device. Your Android OS has meassures built in that perform this task. If you install more you are simply asking for trouble.

Bloatware= this is the term used to identify pre-installed apps on your device (Blockbuster, CityID, Need for Speed, etc). It is NOT recommended that you uninstall these apps (you can only do this with root) but you can however freeze them. For more information on freezing bloatware see this thread [URL]http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacking-guides/8391-removing-bloat-2-2-ota-3-ways-super-easy-safe-safe-easy-free.html[/URL]

*IMPORTANT* if you freeze or uninstall any bloatware and wish you take an OTA update you are going to have to defrost those apps or reinstall them. Otherwise you are not going to be able to receive the OTA.

Bootloader= this is NOT recovery. But you do need to be able to get into this in order to SBF your device. I get into bootloader by holding volume down key and camera key at the same time during power up.

Bootloop= this is common after SBF's and even ROM flashes, theme flashes, tweaks made in clockwork and so on. Identified by device typically booting to the "M" logo or even boot animation and then cycling....never making it to the actual OS. Bootloops can be resolved by several methods depending on the cause. Sometimes simply wiping davlik cache will resolve.....other times doing factory resets will be the fix.

Bootstrap= These are applications that allow you to bypass the bootloader and get into Clockworkmod Recovery to flash ROM's, Theme's, and so on. See Droid 2 Bootstrap and Droid X Bootstrap for more information.

Bricked= this term gets misused and abuse all the time. Very few devices get actually bricked. Bricking a phone is when you CANNOT do anything. Bootloader is corrupted or missing, no SBF's will work, and so on. Please do NOT claim your device to be bricked if you haven't even asked for help unless you are certain it is actually bricked.....which chances are it's not.

Clockwork Recovery= this is NOT bootloader or stock recovery. This is where all the magic happens with ROM installs, backup's, and so on. You will get this automatically when you install Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery. This is NOT the stock recovery.....you can tell the difference by simply looking at the color. CWM is green and stock recovery is white.

De-odex= Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you would need to deodex everything

More information can be found here http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/

Droid 2 Bootstrap= This is used to perform the job that DX Bootstrap is meant to do. However the D2 version is what is required to function correctly in Gingerbread as DX doesn't work right there.

Droid X Bootstrap= This does not work as it is meant to. You need Droid 2 Bootstrap as it does work like it is supposed to and works with the DX. DX Bootstrap DOES work on FROYO but not on GB.

Factory Reset= this does NOT remove root. I know, it imply's that it takes you back to stock but it doesn't. All it does is remove all apps and data. If you want to actually get back to stock (to receive an OTA or return your device) then you need to SBF. This is typically used to accomplish a few things. You can remove all apps to reinstall them in hopes of determining which is causing issues with your device, use Factory Reset to resolve boot loops after SBF, and typically one of the first steps VZW will have you do to troubleshoot your device.

FROYO= is a previous version of Android OS. This is typically referred to as .340 due to the system build being 2.3.340 Android version 2.2.1

Gingerbread= This is the new (when this thread was created) Android OS that replaced FROYO. This is typically referred to as .596 due to the system build being 4.5.596 Android version 2.3.3. This is also commonly referred to simply as "GB".

Gingerbreak= this was a method used to root the previous leaked versions on Gingerbread. This does not work for the OTA (596)

Google= probably the very most useful tool when it comes to researching anything for your Android device.....or anything else for that matter. Google is your friend.....you should get familiar with it and use it often ;)

Another very useful tool is found here. It uses the power of Google to search our site. CLICK HERE

Leaks= this is the term given to identify software that is "leaked" from the manufactures or carriers. This is typically versions of OS's or other related software that is still in BETA testing and not released to the public.

Newb= this is a term or title typically used to identify someone who is new to the hobby. Newb is short for Newbie and also referred to as FNG, Rookie, and so on. This is NOT meant in a disrespectful manor and should not be used as such. Originated in online gaming and is sometimes used as NOOB instead of NEWB however retains same definition.

OTA= Over The Air, these are updates that are sent directly from carrier (VZW, Tmobile, Sprint) and or manufacturer (HTC, Motorola, Samsung). These are the only updates that are considered official.

Research= this is a must. If you are too lazy to read and research BEFORE making decisions on your device then you are a victim to your own ignorance. YES....we are here to help and will still try to help you, but you are taking a chance of having no help options should you fail to do the right amount of research. Seriously....just ask the question and you will get the answer.

ROM's= these are typically custom OS's designed by people like you. Meaning not from Moto, Google, or anyone else. However do not get confused by the "just like you" statement, these developers have spent countless hours designing and testing their custom ROM's. If you flash a ROM designed for a different phone then you should expect serious issues......like bricking your device.

ROM manager= pointless for the Droid X. You need Droid 2 Bootstrap, ROM manager works great for several devices including the Droid 1. Just seems to cause several issues with the X, and sometimes with the D2 and D2G as well.

RSD= this is going to be controversial but I have NEVER had a successful SBF with RSD on my DX. There is a list of common issues you SHOULD expect. If you wish to avoid them then use this CLICK HERE

SBF= this is the only way to actually put your device back to the "out of the box" status where it is actually returnable without voiding warranty. Best proven method for SBF'ing your Droid X can be found here http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-hacks/23638-linux-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

SIM card= this is NOT where your pictures are stored. That is called the SD CARD. There is NO SIM in the DX.

Stock Recovery= this is not Clockworkmod Recovery. The stock recovery is mostly useful if you wish to factory reset your device.

Team Black Hat app or TBH for short= this is NOT available in the market. You can only get this app from their website. This app is very useful as you will find leaks here, RSD drivers (for those who use it) as well as RSD versions, SBF files, and more. Here is link to TBH webiste http://shop.teamblackhat.info/

Titanium Backup= this app is primarily used for backing up and restoring apps and data. This does NOT make nandroid or flashable backup's. This is also used to freeze apps that you do not want to uninstall but also do not want to use or allow to be run. Typically used for bloatware. This app requires root.

*NOTE* it is recommended that you pick up the paid version rather than the free version (this goes with most useful apps though) but here are perks to the paid that IMO make this a must.....such as the ability to freeze apps (paid version only), batch app restores (paid version only....free version requires you to do each app individually) as well as additional support.

Uninstalling bloatware= this is a bad idea. If you decide later that you want to take an OTA you will not be able to. Better idea is to freeze the Bloatware. But you MUST unfreeze BEFORE you take OTA.

Z4Root= this DOES work on the DX (unknown in GB but it does in FROYO) it also occasionally has some issues that require a battery pull. But typically on reboot your device is rooted. If not then try again and it should work then. But you MUST do permanent root.....otherwise the moment you reboot you will lose root. As stated this is only proven to work on FROYO and does not work on GB.

Quick break down of common terms:

ROM= this is equivalent to Windows or any other operating system.

Bootloader= this is equivalent to the BIOS of your machine. However this is the stock version. The custom version is Clockworkmod Recovery.

HTH= Hope That Helps

IMO= In My Opinion

IME= In My Experience

Root= this is what we seek with all of our devices ;). Basically it unlocks your phone so you can mod or customize it to your liking.

Last edited:
OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
feel free to chime in with any input, recommendations, clarification, or adjustments you guys might think this thread needs.

Beka27

Reaction score
Lovely!

The whole "factory reset vs. SBF" has been something I've seen a dozen times since GB dropped. You made an important distinction between the two.

Even if a person has no desire to flash ROMs or anything, I'd recommend rooting just for the ability to use Titanium Backup. Anytime you factory reset or SBF, you can quickly and easily restore your APPS AND DATA. No longer will you lose 800 levels of Angry Birds just because your phone started acting crazy or VZW tech support told you to factory reset.... You don't even have to DO ANYTHING. Your phone is set to automatically make a complete back-up every few days, and the old ones get deleted. So at worst, you lose a few days worth of app info, not everything!

TreFiDDy

Reaction score
maybe somewhere near automated task killer add how to end the tasks? not many people get too familiar with doing it they just let their programs run and lag their system thats why they download task killers ha

tomatofoot

Reaction score
Thanks, now i dont feel like such a lame because of the explained definitionsl i still got a couple" newbie" questions, but i'll look them up elsewhere so i wont piss off the experts.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well done brother! Thank you for putting in the time to do this! I know I truly appreciate it as now instead of swearing to myself when yet another person asks the same questions without searching first (i have no problem helping after they have put in the work) , i can direct them here. Very grateful for this. I'll try to add what i can.

Edit: by the way, rsd lite works great for me. Countless sbf'ing with minimal issues.
Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.7

Last edited:

tomatofoot

Reaction score
Ok....whats RSD? You say you cant have SBF(wich i now know what it means) with RSD. I mysrelf have had my D2global for about 3 months and dont know half the stuff you guys talk about/do to the devices. Im just a nerbie tryin to learn the ropes.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

keithd203

Reaction score
Great post, very helpful. It definitely answered a few questions, and helped me make decisions on a few apps that were recommended to me. However, I do have a question on this section:

"ROM manager= pointless for the Droid X. You need Droid 2 Bootstrap, ROM manager works great for several devices including the Droid 1. Just seems to cause several issues with the X, and sometimes with the D2 and D2G as well."

I installed the Rom Manager (ClockWorkMod) app from Android Market in an effort to help me wipe battery stats, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work. I can't reboot to ClockWorkMod Recovery screen, keeps going to the stock recovery screen. I'm guessing from your statement about ROM manager, it will not work on my Droid X, and that I should use Droid 2 Bootstrap?

Thanx!!!

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Great post, very helpful. It definitely answered a few questions, and helped me make decisions on a few apps that were recommended to me. However, I do have a question on this section:

"ROM manager= pointless for the Droid X. You need Droid 2 Bootstrap, ROM manager works great for several devices including the Droid 1. Just seems to cause several issues with the X, and sometimes with the D2 and D2G as well."

I installed the Rom Manager (ClockWorkMod) app from Android Market in an effort to help me wipe battery stats, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to work. I can't reboot to ClockWorkMod Recovery screen, keeps going to the stock recovery screen. I'm guessing from your statement about ROM manager, it will not work on my Droid X, and that I should use Droid 2 Bootstrap?

Thanx!!!

If on a dx, use dx bootstraper to get into clockwork. You can either click bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery or click bootstrap recovery and then exit out. Now rom manager will work. But why use 2 apps for something you can do with one? Scrap rom manager and use dx bootstrap. Boot into cw and go to backup/restore and click backup.
Done

Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict

pool_shark

Reaction score
This should be updated.

AV software (at least lookout) does not slow down your device. If it's running and you access the command line and run top, you will see it is near the bottom of the list with regard to cpu usage.

Also, DX bootstrap does work with Gingerbread. I used it to upgrade to .588.

RCYPHER

Reaction score
Sbf?

Trying not to be difficult but did I miss the actual word for word definition of SBF? I wanted to avoid the question but this seems like the place to ask it...