Rooting?

rolltide

Reaction score
*My apologies if this is the incorrect forum for this type of question*

Hey folks, one of the newest of newbs here. Ordered the DX on 8/9 and am just waiting on it to arrive. I have a question for some of you old timers out there. This will be my first Android device (been a BB user since before it was a phone). What's the deal with rooting these devices? I've read all about how to root a Droid X (from birdman) but I've yet to fully understand what the implications are and why I would want to root it. OK, Let's play 20 questions:

Is the "bloatware" that comes on the X so bad that I would want to root it?

What are the bloatware apps that come on the Droid X that I cannot remove?

When Froyo is available for the DX will I have issues upgrading if I root the device?

Would I even want to upgrade to Froyo when it becomes available if I have it rooted?

Are there any apps that I would not be able to install if I root the device? (Or any apps I can only run if I root it?)

If I have an issue with the phone and need support can I "unroot" it and essentially re-enable my warranty? I believe rooting it voids the warranty, correct?

Are there any other reasons why I would or would not want to root the DX when it gets here?

I may not be using some of the droid terms here correctly. I'm sure some of you pros will get a good laugh (or in an argument) out of this line of questioning but I would love to hear your feedback.
Thanks in advance.. :icon_ banana:

butter

Reaction score
exactly...

rolltide's post couldn't have been written any better...

I'm in the exact same situation: forever BB user currently waiting for their Droid X to arrive who has questions on rooting.

kinda surprised no one's answered this yet...

if the information rolltide is asking is located in another post somewhere, can someone please post the link?

thanks.

iDr0id

Reaction score
All of these questions HAVE been answered and are stickied in various places throughout the dx forums. I too haven't recieved my x yet, ordered on the 8th, but I have been reading around enough to know the answers to some of these questions. Here we go.

1. The bloatware from what I have read drains battery and takes up memory. So if your worried about that, then you should root.
Removing/renaming bloatware
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62427-how-remove-bloatware.html

2.There is a list of safe and unsafe bloatware you can remove, Will link in an edit very soon.
Link provided above includes safe bloatware to remove.
3. You shouldn't have any issues putting froyo on as long as you have all the original bloatware. It is recommended you rename the bloatware rather than delete entirely, Until froyo comes out at least. You'll know what i mean if you read the link I provide.

4.YES! Froyo will have many bug fixes, make your x run faster, and should, maybe, hopefully, lengthen the batterylifes and fix some camera problems, but nobody knows for sure yet exactly all it will do.

5. Rooting does void the warranty, but it can be unrooted. This can be found by searching.
Unrooting:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37717-unroot-unbrick-using-sbf-post-ikithme.html

6. I see no reason not to root, The free wifi tether is reason enough imo. Plus development is always happening and hopefully we will soon see roms on our droid x. *Crosses fingers*

Hope this answers some of your questions. Brb with the links

Last edited:

iDr0id

Reaction score
Ill be back on tonight. I'm sure somebody here could be a better help than I am on these questions. And could go more in depth than I could. I'm a droid noob and don't even have one yet. But I have been doing my research so I am ready when my phone arrives :D

butter

Reaction score
thanks...

iDr0id, many thanks...

I did a bunch of reading as well (since I couldn't find a sticky or one complete thread on this specifically), piecing all the various posts from different threads to put it all in one up-to-date post like rolltide's... weeding through a lot of the early, no-longer-accurate or needed information was the hard part.

Since I probably won't even get the phone until 2.2 hits, it seems I'll end up waiting for the one-click root for that. In which case, hopefully the information I've read on rooting 2.1 and getting rid of bloat is relatively the same for 2.2.