[Video] Idiots Guide to Rooting, ROMing, Backups, and things

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you already know how to root and ROM you phone than this video is not for you.
r_c.gif

If you DO want to root your phone, this is a QUICK run though on you to do exactly that. If you read the guides here then watch this video of me rambling on and on for 12 minutes you will see that it is not that hard and is may be something you want to give a try.

How to root your Droid X, backup your current applications, backup and restore your system using bootstrap recovery, and how to install a custom ROM.

If you open the video up on YouTube you can watch HD fullscreen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KecTFINEaQ"][video] How to your Root Droid X[/video]

yolie1214

Reaction score
Looked for the answer and cant find

Hi there
I read the instructions on the z4root but when I went to the app market I couldn't find it. When I attempted to use the app button on top of the forum and went through recommended it said couldn't locate it. Can you kindly guide me. Also I just got my Droid X and its a 2.2.1 and your talking about a 2.3... No software updates available :( Help? One last question sometimes Im putting in my password (any site) and this box pops up with dots in it on my screen. I can't make it disappear unless I take out my battery... what am I Doing to make it pop up? Thank you so much..Im so lost... yolie

yolie1214

Reaction score
still having issues

Hi there still having an issue with rooting my droid x and getting an understanding of what I should do.. I have gotten several different types of replies and wonder which one I should go with. Im told if I am just wireless tethering I can root it without backing up my stuff. Because Im not removing anything.

Ill keep trying to figure it out. I went ahead and reset my phone back to original factory settings and I will start again. =(

thank you for asking though.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you just want to tether than yeah....all you do is root and go. But it is HIGHLY recommended that you make a backup directly after rooting. Reason being is no matter what you have a backup that you can restore should you need to do anything like.....back out of a bad situation, return phone to VZW, and so on......it is just a good idea to do.

Also if you click on either of the links in my sig regarding rooting you will find working links to Z4 as well as several other apps....and if you really dig.....you might find a way to save a couple bucks while still accomplishing your goal

nice vid