New user here with some questions

Matt.

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am completely new to this phone, coming from a blackberry tour. I am currently trying to find how to access files I put on my sdcard on the phone. I am trying to install the HTC keyboard and saved the .apk files to the sdcard and downloaded ASTRO from the marketplace (I don't know what this does, but the thread said you needed it).

Thanks for any help!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Astro will allow you to view your SD card or you can connect/mount to your computer. If you are just leaning using your computer may be more familiar to you. Once you see what files are on your SD card file up Astro and things may be clearer to you. If you still need assistance repost your questions.

Mike

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Matt! This is how you 'mount' and explore the SD card on your Droid:

1. Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable
2. From the Droid home screen, pull down the Notification bar, located at the top of the screen (or you can also press the Menu Key on the front of your Droid and then select Notifications)
3. Select USB Connected
4. Select Mount
5. You can now explore the ‘Removable Disk’ that is now connected to your computer and create a music folder directly on the 16GB SD card in your phone.

When finished touch ‘Turn Off USB Storage’ on the Droid, and touch ‘Turn Off’, then disconnect the USB cable from the computer. That should do it!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am completely new to this phone, coming from a blackberry tour. I am currently trying to find how to access files I put on my sdcard on the phone. I am trying to install the HTC keyboard and saved the .apk files to the sdcard and downloaded ASTRO from the marketplace (I don't know what this does, but the thread said you needed it).

Thanks for any help!

:welcome: to the Droid Forums Matt. OK so you got the HTC keyboard saved to your SD card, correct? What you want to do is have Astro search for the file and have it open and install it for you. Use the search in Astro to locate the file. Then select to open and install application. It's that simple.

Hope that helps.

OP
M

Matt.

Reaction score
Welcome! Astro will allow you to view your SD card or you can connect/mount to your computer. If you are just leaning using your computer may be more familiar to you. Once you see what files are on your SD card file up Astro and things may be clearer to you. If you still need assistance repost your questions.

Mike

Thanks! When I open the E: on my computer, the files are there. However, my problem is finding them on the phone once I unmount the phone and disconnect from the USB.

Welcome to the forum, Matt! This is how you 'mount' and explore the SD card on your Droid:

1. Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable
2. From the Droid home screen, pull down the Notification bar, located at the top of the screen (or you can also press the Menu Key on the front of your Droid and then select Notifications)
3. Select USB Connected
4. Select Mount
5. You can now explore the ‘Removable Disk’ that is now connected to your computer and create a music folder directly on the 16GB SD card in your phone.

When finished touch ‘Turn Off USB Storage’ on the Droid, and touch ‘Turn Off’, then disconnect the USB cable from the computer. That should do it!

Thanks! I don't have any problem mounting it, I just can't find the files I add to the card once I disconnect the USB.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums Matt. OK so you got the HTC keyboard saved to your SD card, correct? What you want to do is have Astro search for the file and have it open and install it for you. Use the search in Astro to locate the file. Then select to open and install application. It's that simple.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I have the two .apk files saved to the card, however when I try to search for them using Astro, no results are found.

Oh and one more question, when somebody says save it to the root of the SD card, how do you go about this?

Thanks again guys for the help!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I have the two .apk files saved to the card, however when I try to search for them using Astro, no results are found.

Oh and one more question, when somebody says save it to the root of the SD card, how do you go about this?

Thanks again guys for the help!

Have it look for any .apk file. If it's in there it should find it.

When they say save to the root, it means simply do not put it in a folder. If you did that go back in, take it out, and just leave it on the SD card.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just searched with "apk" and several files were returned. You should see the one you want/need.

Mike

OP
M

Matt.

Reaction score

When they say save to the root, it means simply do not put it in a folder. If you did that go back in, take it out, and just leave it on the SD card.

Thanks. I did do that but I must be saving them incorrectly because it isn't there.

I just searched with "apk" and several files were returned. You should see the one you want/need.

Mike

I did this as well, but it didn't return the two .apk files I am looking for. How do I see everything that is on the SDcard via the phone? I tried the settings -> sdcard and there isn't an option for it.

Thanks again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I did do that but I must be saving them incorrectly because it isn't there.

Mike

I did this as well, but it didn't return the two .apk files I am looking for. How do I see everything that is on the SDcard via the phone? I tried the settings -> sdcard and there isn't an option for it.

Thanks again.

You look in Astro to see what's on the SD Card. The easiest way is to mount it to your computer and look that way. At this point I think this is what you need to do.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just searcked in name contains apk and hads over a screen full return. What did you enter

OP
M

Matt.

Reaction score

That's weird. When I look in the 'sdcard' folder 'Up', it is empty. My 'home' is empty. I'm wondering if I am just saving to the phone instead of the sdcard because I have put music in. When I mount the phone, I just open up E: and place things in it as I thought this was the sdcard. Am I wrong?

I just searcked in name contains apk and hads over a screen full return. What did you enter

I entered .apk and got loads of .apk files returned to me, but not the two that I need for the HTC keyboard install.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Strange. You downloaded two files which can be viewed when phone is mounted but can not be viewed with astro. You are not rooted correct.

OP
M

Matt.

Reaction score
I'm not rooted at all.

I can never view the files on my phone, mounted or not. I can see them only on the computer. However, the music files that I put into E: from my computer show up fine in the music section of the phone.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not rooted at all.

I can never view the files on my phone, mounted or not. I can see them only on the computer. However, the music files that I put into E: from my computer show up fine in the music section of the phone.

I would dowload again mount phone then drag one file to sd card unmount and search