New update rolling out to testers.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Anybody outside of soakers, receive this yet?

doogald

Reaction score
Anybody outside of soakers, receive this yet?

I still haven't, but Moto says that they roll out to a small number the first few days, monitor for problems, then roll out to all (and allow it to be pulled from the phone with settings / about / check for updates) when all looks good. See https://plus.google.com/102838570385793445288/posts/Dfpjj3F2K6T - one of the comments toward the bottom

Some people are asking about why they have not gotten the push yet or why they can not pull the release. Our process with most carriers is a phased approach. We start with pushing to a small group (10k - 40k consumers) depending on the overall population of devices. We monitor feedback for a few days, if all is good, we start pushing in larger waves along with opening up the release for pull. The process can take about a week depending on the overall population.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Still a no go for me as of yet.. I'm thinking next week or this weekend.. Who knows..

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You guys aren't missing much. White icons...woohoo!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've heard some people are touting better reception.. But others say it screwed up their reception...

The white icons in the status bar are a big negative.. I like the blue..

Vegasdroid33

Reaction score
I Hey, I finally found it on XDA. Very first post of this thread. If you want to side load the update, very easy to do.

[OTA][PATCH] Kit Kat 19.6.3 OTA File May 2014 - xda-developers

And Post #110 gives good instructions.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [OTA][PATCH] Kit Kat 19.6.3 OTA File May 2014

I just put the Update.zip in the Download folder and navigated to it, updated, when the yellow text said it was done, I rebooted. Then I got the "Android is upgrading..." and "Optimizing app XXX of 234" while the circle to the left kept doing its animated circle thing.

EDIT: Not a fan of the white text; I liked the blue especially because the WiFi would be blue and the mobile data would be grey so you knew you were on WiFi for sure, but I am updated, and I'll get used to the white text. The home button "double tap" bug I have complained about earlier has not been fixed based on my update.

Edit: credit goes to Moo Cow over at Android Central forums.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Last edited:

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Any hints on how to just flash the radio for us rooted on 4.4?

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

Vegasdroid33

Reaction score
Any hints on how to just flash the radio for us rooted on 4.4?

Not that I saw, I just flashed the update.zip un-rooted.

I thought, that I wasn't going to like the white icons, however, I think that they are growing on me a little bit.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Einsteindks

Reaction score
That's just it, with the new color scheme, you don't know if you're on Google server or not.

doogald

Reaction score
How do you tell if you're connected to Wi-Fi and 4G?

I assume you mean connected to Google services - if you see the WiFi icon, you are connected.

I don't have the new OTA yet, but on the Nexus phones, the network icons have color when you are connected to Google Play Services when you pull down the settings shade. So, pull down the notification shade and tap the settings thing upper right to flip it, or drag down with two fingers on the right side of the status bar to pull it down directly. If you do that, are the WiFi or mobile data icons showing a color?

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmmm.. Interesting.. I'm still not looking forward to this firmware update.. And I kind of wonder what the point is..

Since they're slamming us into the white network icons.. Are we to assume that we "needed" this to be able to go forward to 4.4.2 and beyond? And now the update will be soon... Trying to be an optimist..

But to me this raises more questions... I guess we'll see.

doogald

Reaction score
Since they're slamming us into the white network icons.. Are we to assume that we "needed" this to be able to go forward to 4.4.2 and beyond? And now the update will be soon... Trying to be an optimist..
One thing that I've noticed is that a few apps that I have that show info in the status bar as notifications (mostly weather info) used to have an option to show "Holo blue" but lately that option is gone and it just shows white. I suppose it's inevitable that everything will just assume white.

I think that Google has made some really bad UX/UI decisions lately. Have you seen the settings / display / brightness? They used to have a check box for automatic brightness, but now it's an unintuitive bar over the word "AUTO" to the left of the slider. They didn't make it easier, they made it harder to understand. Losing network connectivity status and activity in the network status bar icons is actually unhelpful - you have no idea if they phone is actually trying to get data. Even iOS has an animated network activity control that shows in the status bar. Lastly, I know that our phones don't have it, but transparent status bar can be much harder to read with the wrong wallpaper.

doogald

Reaction score
Hmmm.. Interesting.. I'm still not looking forward to this firmware update.. And I kind of wonder what the point is..

We didn't need this for a new update. Verizon wanted this update - not for the white icons necessarily (that's a minor part of the update), but there were some problems with mobile data with the old baseband firmware that had to be updated. The 4.4.2 update is still coming later, I'd guess no sooner than a month from now.

See https://plus.google.com/102838570385793445288/posts/Dfpjj3F2K6T (David Schuster works at Motorola and appears to be responsible for managing Android phone updates based on his posts.)

ChrisMAXX

Reaction score
I think I recall there being an issue when the last update was pushed about the carrier requiring the icons be blue , and held the update because of that.... Wonder why the backpedal....

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums