Goodby 901, hello 902

kc6wke

Reaction score
You cannot get what does not exist.
I think Vzw and moto are both full of S***!!!

sstrool

Reaction score
In a VZW store in northern CA there is a Bionic with a 5.9.910.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Here's a couple of articles (again back to Droid Life) that has a different spin.

First is Droid Bionic Update Ver. 5.9.902 Head to Testers Tonight It says that .901 went out OTA last week(!) and that it had too many bugs, which is why .902 is coming out. I find this strange on 2 counts; one is that I haven't seen a single post about getting .901 OTA and the other is that most comments about .901 has been positive.

The other article is Droid Bionic needs ICS not odd 5.9.902 update » Phone Reviews and is more of an editorial saying (again) that .901 is out in the wild and that ICS would be preferred than a simple update like .902.

Curiouser and curiouser.

That second article is dumb as hell. Moto should stop fixing bugs until ICS is ready? Really? People complain when their devices are not updated, and this joker is complaining because it was updated? :blink:

Thanks for the links.

Last edited:

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
You cannot get what does not exist.
I think Vzw and moto are both full of S***!!!

Wouldn't it be more likely that Droid-Life is? Neither VZW or Motorola announced a .902 update, officially or unofficially.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes droid life is often full of sh....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
mandragora

mandragora

Reaction score
I have got to say as the OP, I am pretty dissapointed. My Bionic has been pretty stable and I only get a data drop rarely (though usually at an inconvienient time) but my manager bought one after me (because I kept telling him how great it was) and he has had nothing but problems. He has replaced it once. I was hoping this update would help him out.

azdrifter

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the batch the store gets,my niece and her husband also bought their bionics when they were released I really wanted the Bionic but i always wait to see what problems there will be with the newest devices there always is.
So they had nothing but problems with theirs and ended up trading so many times that Verizon finally gave them the Razrs instead,I purchased my Bionic on the 24th of November in San Antonio while on a business trip there. I have had none of the problems my niece and her husband had with theirs,why? i can't say but I think that the region and batch the store gets in their stock has alot to do with them. The reason i bought it when I was in Texas was because one of my work associates had it and she absolutely loved it and the 4g was so fast it made my decision very easy.
I have the .901 update manually installed from .893 and still have had no issues with the phone or data drops so far so good !

LoneWolf15

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the batch the store gets,my niece and her husband also bought their bionics when they were released I really wanted the Bionic but i always wait to see what problems there will be with the newest devices there always is.
So they had nothing but problems with theirs and ended up trading so many times that Verizon finally gave them the Razrs instead,I purchased my Bionic on the 24th of November in San Antonio while on a business trip there. I have had none of the problems my niece and her husband had with theirs,why? i can't say but I think that the region and batch the store gets in their stock has alot to do with them. The reason i bought it when I was in Texas was because one of my work associates had it and she absolutely loved it and the 4g was so fast it made my decision very easy.
I have the .901 update manually installed from .893 and still have had no issues with the phone or data drops so far so good !

I myself do wonder if it's a combination of multiple things:

-Software release
-4G/LTE tower setup
-quality control of phone hardware

My Droid Bionic has been a really good phone. I know it hasn't been for everyone. Whether that's due to software (.893 came out the day I bought it, and I got .901 OTA), or that the tower layout is good here, or that I got "a golden phone", or multiple factors, I just don't know.

We also don't really have accurate statistics on just how many people are having problems --though we all know that a person with a great experience tells x number of people, and a person with an awful one tells x times five. I agree there are issues, but it would be good to know a real percentage.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I myself do wonder if it's a combination of multiple things:

-Software release
-4G/LTE tower setup
-quality control of phone hardware

My Droid Bionic has been a really good phone. I know it hasn't been for everyone. Whether that's due to software (.893 came out the day I bought it, and I got .901 OTA), or that the tower layout is good here, or that I got "a golden phone", or multiple factors, I just don't know.

It would be interesting if you could get Bionic owners to stand "shoulder to shoulder" and see if data problems would appear or go away.

knkrhs

Reaction score
It would be interesting if you could get Bionic owners to stand "shoulder to shoulder" and see if data problems would appear or go away.

I work in a relatively large IT group and we did what you are suggesting. The data outage problem reveals itself across all the Verizon 4G phones. My (our) situation here varies and we can see a correlation between the number of people in this building and the rate of data outages. The population of this building can swell by 300 people and most of those people have a company phones and the company phone is (guess what…) a Version phone. We also get lots of vendors in this building and we like to figure out how to completely disable their phones.

Our little group has concluded that the data outage issue is being caused by authentication failures. There are various news articles out there on the net that say the same thing.

The thing is, not all Verizon phones recover from the data problem gracefully. The Bionic is at the bottom of the pile. There is an HTC in the group and he can see the problem but the phone takes care of itself.

There are three of us with Droid Bionics, all three phones are the same age, and they all do the neat little trick, and airplane mode fixes the problem (most to the time). We have been discouraging the company from adding more Bionics. Setting the battery setting to performance mode reduces the problem but of course that sucks the battery because the radio says in all the time (eliminating the need to authenticate every time the radio powers up).

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are suggesting authentication issues then replacing the 4g sim card on phones that have constant random problems would help. People that are unable to fix their issues with the restart connections app or airplane mode may have a fried sim card.

bgs_piece

Reaction score
I found this interesting: My sister and I both have a Bionic and were sitting in the car right next to each other and I noticed her phone was on a 3G connection and mine had full bars on 4G. I checked her phone to make sure she didn't have 3G only selected and she didn't. We both did a battery pull and when the phones rebooted it was the same situation. I had full 4G and she had 3G and only a couple of bars at that. I'm not sure what could have caused that to happen, but I thought it was a little strange.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pull out sim card and battery, then reinsert them, then power back on. I would go to Verizon if the one phone is having problems still.