New UI *NOT AVAILABLE YET*

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
SAN FRANCISCO--Generally, OEM software isn't of particular interest to consumer product reviewers, but I couldn't help but be drawn in by the sweet-looking user interface (UI) development being shown off by SPB Software at the CTIA Fall 2010 show. This multiplatform solution, called Mobile Shell, is currently up to version 5.0, which is compatible with Windows Mobile, Android, and Symbian operating systems.
The software is aimed at providing carriers with a way to offer a standardized UI across mobile devices, but the truly compelling part is the front-end user experience, which is pretty fantastic from what I've seen so far. SPB Software demoed Mobile Shell 5.0 on an Android device, and my initial reaction was "I want this. When can I get it?" (Sadly, the reps had no immediate answer.) The interface is just so...cool. And speedy.
What makes this software so nice to look at is the 3D design, which is much more of a joy to navigate than the flat, flip-through pages currently offered on Android devices. One of my favorite extra touches--made possible by the 3D--is the automatic animations that pop out whenever you pause on a particular panel. In addition, the UI will automatically personalize the look and feel of applications and widgets based on an individual user's behavior, which should be a fun feature to test out once the software actually makes its way to consumer devices.
Really, it's a bit tough to describe Mobile Shell in words, which is why I recommend checking it out

[video=youtube;CNO7lL7g6pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNO7lL7g6pc"]promo clip by SPB Software[/video]

SOURCE : The cool new UI you can't have...yet | CTIA 2010 - CNET Reviews

Last edited:

rehuxley

Reaction score
i am really enjoying this UI. A lot of the features on the video are not out yet for the Android Shell. Good things still to come...

Inverse

Reaction score
Looks ok~ but seeing how Live wallpapers already slow my frames on my phone, not sure if current hardware is ready for this honestly. Even the Thunderbolt has frame drop with anything 3d with 2d mixed in.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
This has been available on the market for a while already, it has a warning about the OG and a known issue they are having a hard time resolving with TB... seems cool though..

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This has been available on the market for a while already, it has a warning about the OG and a known issue they are having a hard time resolving with TB... seems cool though..
yea i know look at the date in which i posted this lol

Reaction score
Looks ok~ but seeing how Live wallpapers already slow my frames on my phone, not sure if current hardware is ready for this honestly. Even the Thunderbolt has frame drop with anything 3d with 2d mixed in.

True, but were stepping into the dual core world (and soon the triple core world) for phones and dedicated gpu's are starting to make their way to phones. So we wont have to worry about Framerates for long. And I agree, this new UI idea looks awesome

Sent using my Droid X, Powered by Rubix Focused 2.0.1