SPB Mobile Shell 5.0 and TAT home coming to Android

daelight

Reaction score
Phandroid reports that SPB Mobile Shell 5.0 and TAT home coming to Android. I searched the web and the release dates are yet to be announced. These are next-gen home replacements with built in widgets and 3D enhancements.

I've been a fan of the the SPB mobile shell since my WinMo days. It was actually the only thing that made my HTC Touch bearable. Now it is coming to Android, and I hope it brings that same level of function especially to our severely lacking dialer and contact management.

Here's the press release
SPB Mobile Shell 5.0 Arrives, Brings Support for Symbian and Android Along Press Releases SPB Software

Also interesting was the mention of TAT home.

TAT - The Astonishing Tribe

I would like to see if our Droids can approach the speeds of TAT's demo reel.

Tell me what you think and please update any additional info you find to this thread.

I'm looking forward to both.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd say that demo reel you're referring to was on something like the Nexus One....IMO

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
If only things like that could be handled by the gpu. It would make the droid so much better than the nexus. Especially when overclocked.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
$30 for SPB Mobile Shell seems pricey, but I guess it depends on how robust the customizations are and whether it eats the battery too badly (or lags so badly on a stock droid that it makes it painful to use).

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_aQKJ-Zc8[/ame]

Amazing!!! Tell me this wouldn't be just amazing on the Droid.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
Most definitely. I would give it a try, if not buy it for my Droid if it comes out for us.

Notice that's showing on 2.1 on the Nexus One

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I was waiting for this for so long . Hope it won't slow down the phone . On my WM phone , SPB Shell 3.5 was actually faster than the default skin , hope they bring the same quality to Android .

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's what's funny to me. I have both devices now :). I got the N1 today and have carried a Droid since release day :icon_ banana:. I have had them right next to eachother all day. The N1 isn't that much faster than the Droid. Running it bone stk. No mods on either.

As far as TAT that was announced earlier this week and we had two threeads on it open for a bit :).

I have contacted TAT about opening the test here to our users. They have said they are open to ideas so we will see where it goes. No promises to any user here or at N1.

I believe if the N1 can push TAT the Droid can push it also. Overall except for the live wall papers and 2.1 update 1 (multi-touch) the Droid works as well as the N1. Also the Droid has the better network by far. Just my thoughts on it

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People fall for marketing gimmicks all the time miami...ahem **snapdragon**

Did I just say that? : )

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People fall for marketing gimmicks all the time miami...ahem **snapdragon**

Did I just say that? : )

Brother it's not much or any better better as far as speeds go. we will see after a week how I feel.

Mercuie

Reaction score
SPB looked a little laggy on the N1 so hopefully that will be worked out by release. I own 3.5 (on my TP2) and at least by that demo it just looked pretty similar. 3.5 to 5.0 is a big jump if thats all it is. Any other videos of it out there? They just released 3.0 series and made me pay an upgrade fee, wonder if they'll make me pay another one. I have high hopes though. It really did make Winmo run faster and feel nicer.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I ran SBP on my omnia and loved it... it worked great and no lag.... but I really don't see the need for it on the droid.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Customizable buttons , icons with notification , no icon grid , customizable launcher with categories , 3D switch and many more . I can really see the need for this .

OP
D

daelight

Reaction score
What I miss is the superior dialer on the SPB. If you don't realize our stock android dialer sucks, it's because you've never tried the SPB dialer. SPB made my winmo go so much faster. In fact, I missed it so much, I sent an email to SPB begging to make a version for android. I can't wait to see what we get. All I know is that current alternative homes like panda home need to prepare.

supahrob

Reaction score
I liked Mobile Shell on my Omnia... but I hated - HATED - HATED SPB's piss poor excuse for customer service. Without a doubt, the absolute, second to none, over the top, WORST customer service I have ever encountered.

Did I mention I am not fond of their customer service?

Take care,
Rob