New to rooting

jet351

Reaction score
Ok, I am new to the android world and I can't find a thread to explain rooting. Can someone help me by explaining what rooting is and/or does? Please and thank you.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

holmes6

Reaction score
In simple terms, hopefully this helps get you started:

"root" is a user with full access to issue any commands on the phone

out of the box, you do not have any way to become this user.

"rooting" the phone means that you have gained access to become root

Once rooted, you will have access to change many things on the phone, such as using a "ROM" or removing stock "bloat" packages. The ability to change previously protected things also means that you can also cause problems all the way up to "bricking" the phone.

When you're ready to get your hands dirty, check out this thread

miketoasty

Reaction score
Just to expand on the previous users reply, the reason why Motorola/Verizon see this as being something bad is because a lot of people do stupid things when they have root access and screw up their phones. They then take it to Verizon and say my phones broken I need a new one. Then Verizon has to take time to "fix" these phones. Luckily we can't break anything past the bootloader so we will never have to worry about bricking our phones.

holmes6

Reaction score
Just to expand on the previous users reply, the reason why Motorola/Verizon see this as being something bad is because a lot of people do stupid things when they have root access and screw up their phones. They then take it to Verizon and say my phones broken I need a new one. Then Verizon has to take time to "fix" these phones. Luckily we can't break anything past the bootloader so we will never have to worry about bricking our phones.
This may be a tangent, but I understand flashing an SBF older than the current version can lead to a brick (at least from the consumer perspective). Perhaps I misunderstood the warnings about using previous SBF?

holmes6

Reaction score
It doesnt brick your phone as long as you have the current SBF which will fix it.
Thanks, I think I get it now :icon_ banana:. bricks only happened after the most recent ota but before the associated sbf leaked.. because during that time there was no current sbf to recover to. now that we have the most recent sbf it always works

OP
jet351

jet351

Reaction score
Ok, y'all are way over my head now. What is a SBF?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App