New Soak Test for the Motorola Droid 4 is Likely Ice Cream Sandwich

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-Droid-4-full-dark-graphic.jpeg

A new soak test is being prepped for the Motorola Droid 4, and it has a high probability of being Android 4.0/ICS. Obviously, we can't know this for certain, but based upon Motorola's previous assertion that ICS would come in the third quarter, and Q3 is almost over, it seems likely. We will keep you guys posted if we find out more.

Source: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-general-discussion/219529-new-soak-test.html

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm hoping it's NOT ICS because they need to get the Bionic out of the way first. This could be a pre-ICS update, there's still plenty of time in Q3 to sneak one in. If they choose to push the D4 before the Bionic (contrary to what their release schedule promises) then I am done with Motorola and Verizon for good. An unlocked GNex on Straight Talk for $45/month is starting to sound VERY appealing to me.

And at least that's a REAL GNex, and not the Verizon-ified version, so updates should come right from Google in a timely fashion. Moto can take their locked bootloader nonsense and stick it where the sun don't shine *LOL*

The D4 getting ICS before the Bionic is utter BS, though - one just has to look at the number of forum posts between the D4 forum and Bionic forum to see which is the more popular device. Unless Moto fears their update infrastructure isn't up to the task, and need to get the small push done first.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
ICS in Q3 for Droid 4
ICS in "early" Q3 for Droid Bionic

The release schedule doesn't promise the Bionic "before" the Droid 4, it just promised "Early Q3" which they failed to meet. The Droid 4 just says "Q3" so it could be early, mid, late.....when ever.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
ICS in Q3 for Droid 4

The release schedule doesn't promise the Bionic "before" the Droid 4, it just promised "Early Q3" which they failed to meet. The Droid 4 just says "Q3" so it could be early, mid, late.....when ever.

Well then, the lying morons at Moto need to revise their schedule. Or not have one at all, since they can't stick to s&^*t they say.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
ICS in Q3 for Droid 4

BTW, reverse the situation and i'll bet you would be just as miffed as us Bionic owners are right now. I'm at the verge of smashing mine with a concrete block and mailing the pieces to Moto.

EDIT: And since they DID miss the "early Q3" target, the Bionic should be their PRIORITY, period. Nothing should get updated until they get back on track. Otherwise, the Bionic will be forgotten, even though it's a superior device.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Not really....I support my brother and his wife who have Bionic's and my brother inlaw who has one. My sister, my wife and I have Droid 4's. I've been keeping them updated as to what is going on as far as leaks, release schedules and all. None are bothered that it's not out yet, they are just waiting. I've updated my Droid 4 to the ICS leak and let them see......none feel like they are missing that much though look forward to some of the features (face unlock, better 4G connectivity, better overall performance).

The older a device gets, the less priority it will ever have...from any manufacturer. Of the three (Droid 4, Razr and Bionic), the Bionic is the oldest.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The older a device gets, the less priority it will ever have...from any manufacturer. Of the three (Droid 4, Razr and Bionic), the Bionic is the oldest.

I'll remind you that the OG Droid got the FRK76 update at over 2 years of age. To drop support for the Bionic after <1 year is completely unacceptable to me. Support should at least run the entire 2 years that most people are under contract for.

EDIT: I will also remind you that for many folks, the ICS leaks on the Bionic are the ONLY solution for working data, since the last GB update they gave us basically hosed data for a lot of folks. It would be in Moto's best interest to get ICS out for us, or they have made a FATAL customer service mistake.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
So. Where are you reading that Motorola has dropped support of the Bionic? I'm sure not seeing it, especially with the number of ICS leaks that have come out...definitely some very serious activity on Motorola's part to put out ICS for the Bionic.

A security update is not something I'd use as reference as "support" when comparing to pushing out an entirely new OS (OG Droid - FRK76 vs. Bionic - ICS).

The Bionic is getting ICS. It's getting it soon. Unfortunately it's just not soon enough for you.

The Bionic isn't being produced, the Droid 4 and Droid Razr are....so "new" potential buyers.....more urgency to push ICS. Business......every industry....same thing.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
So. Where are you reading that Motorola has dropped support of the Bionic? I'm sure not seeing it, especially with the number of ICS leaks that have come out...definitely some very serious activity on Motorola's part to put out ICS for the Bionic.

Plenty fast enough for me, I probably know more about these ICS leaks than a majority of the people out there and am on 6.7.238 myself.

Doesn't do people who CANNOT for whatever reason take a leaked OS and are stuck on that abomination called 5.9.905 a damn bit of good, however.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Bionic is getting ICS. It's getting it soon. Unfortunately it's just not soon enough for you.

You're missing my point. Moto has said (or implied) that it's getting it "soon" since the damn thing launched. It's been out almost a year now, ICS for 8 months.

A delay like that is NOT "soon".