New razr owner, question

Reaction score
Hello all. After having used a blackberry the fast 5 years I've made the switch over to android with a droid razr. So far I am extremely impressed. I got the os update this am and installed it, so far so good. I am having one issue though, if you want to call it that.

When I first got the phone the transitions were seamless. Now that I've had it a few days I am noticing that when I click my messaging or email app, I get a white screen for about a second before it loads up. I know this isn't major but it's bugging the poop outta me.

Any idea on how to get it back to making smooth transitions? All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

ETA: just received two emails and when I checked them it was smooth once again. What's causing this? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Is your battery full when this is happening or not if its going seamless when its full and not going seamless when its low on battery then its the smart actions probably conserving data use and display use just a guess

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20120430_200540.png

ForumRunner_20120430_200607.png

OP
Enemyofthestate
Reaction score
ThAnks for the reply. The battery is about halfway charged right now. In one instance I get the white screen, in another I don't, all with the same battery level. I checked out smart actions and it's saying I currently have nothing set up. Not sure about rooting. What are the downsides to performing such a task?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am sorry to hear you are having troubles, but it can be related to any number of things. If there are apps running in the background that are at that moment taking up a large part of either the internal RAM or a great percentage of the CPU cycles, it can cause a lag like you mention. Also, if the cache for the apps (email & messaging for instance) are either excessive in size or somehow corrupted, the device may be trying to make sense of it and that can also cause lag.

You may want to go into settings, applications, manage, choose the email app (and then afterwards the messaging app), and click the box to "clear cache". Also, it's recommended that you reboot the phone every few days (like it's recommended you reboot your computer), to give it a fresh start.

Reaction score
Fox probably nailed your issue i am not gonna lie i love my RAZR best phone i have ever used

OP
Enemyofthestate
Reaction score
I checked out the cache and it's saying it's clear. I power off every night then back on in the morning. Is this the same as a reboot or should I do it differently? And it's not really that big of an issue. I'm just being a bit OCD. When I do check the apps in the manage app it is saying I have x amount of data. Do I want to clear that or leave it be?

Apex89

Reaction score
Yeah what you're doing is fine as far as a reboot goes. Turning it off and then back on in any way is considered rebooting it. It resets all of the ram and just makes your phone run smoother. And you can clear it, but sometimes having cached memory for apps is a good thing. Generally it allows that app to load quicker as it doesn't have to load as much. But really, random little things like that happen with some apps. Not all apps are created equal. Some have worse loading times than others, its just the nature of the variation you can encounter on a platform as open as Android.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I would get comfortable with the phone before you start reading up on rooting. IF that is even a step you would want to take. As far as the white screen goes. FoxKat probably said it best...

What I would do is over the next few days see if the white screen is happening with only 1 or 2 specific apps or is it all apps, is the battery level about the same or is it different levels, is it always after you have been browsing or on the phone etc or is it random times. Maybe there is a minor conflict setting it into action.

Apex89

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely be careful about rooting your phone. A lot can go wrong, even if the probability of it isn't high. Not to mention, we will most likely see an update to the next version of android (Ice cream sandwich) by the end of May.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Not sure about rooting. What are the downsides to performing such a task?

The biggest downside is turning your device into an expensive paperweight.

I would get comfortable with the phone before you start reading up on rooting. IF that is even a step you would want to take.
Yeah, definitely be careful about rooting your phone. A lot can go wrong, even if the probability of it isn't high.

Agree 100%. Learn how Android works and spend lots of time learning what you can do. More importantly, learn what you should not do. There are numerous posts from users who bricked their phone because they thought they knew what they were doing, when in fact, they did not.

OP
Enemyofthestate
Reaction score
Thanks. I have no intentions of rooting right now. Like you all said, I need to get comfortable with the phone now. Will keep an eye On it and see what I can come up with.