New member. Joined out of frustration at ICS

BadAtPlaygrounds

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I first got the Droid X almost 4 years ago when I heard that the wireless providers were phasing out their unlimited data plans. However, I didnt want to wait 6 months to a year for the iPhone on Verizon so I went with the X. After drunkenly shattering the X screen last summer I went through a holdout time where I wasn't sure whether to upgrade to iPhone or get another Droid. The screen size is what sold me though and I went with the Maxx. It's been very cool, except for the fact that i cannot connect to wifi anymore. It's definitely the phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I would like to make one comment, not so much in disagreement with your assessment of the situation, but as a possible alternate consideration for you. There have been many examples of peoples' phones having trouble connecting to WIFI either new, or after an upgrade, where all the other equipment in their houses still connect fine. It's natural for you to conclude it's the phone, however as technology advances and newer versions of the phones' operating systems develop, they're designed to take advantage of the newest technology and that includes the newest versions of WIFI connectivity.

There are plenty of people who have experienced what you describe, and after either updating their wireless routers with the newest firmware (something very few people ever even think about let alone do), or after simply replacing it with one that is current technology, all the connectivity problems go away. The reason usually resides with the phone trying to connect to the router on a higher level of connectivity and the router is not properly equipped to do so. Either it's older firmware or a buggy system, or quasi-compatibility but with some shortcuts taken to avoid licensing costs by the router manufacturer but just the same it works fine in the older protocols but craps out under the new ones.

Some success has been achieved by forcing the phone to use the lower level security protocols, or to preventing it from moving to the higher level communication protocols. Before you give up on the phone, remember...data connectivity is a two-way street, and BOTH lanes of traffic have to be fully operational. It may appear it's the phone especially if other equipment still works, but that's often a flawed assumption.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Welcome to the Forums! :) I also get the WiFi dropout once in a while, hopefully this will be fixed.

I don't think the X is quite 4 years old yet, the original droid came out in 09.. I forget if the X was 2010 or 11..

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums. I hope you are able to get everything working again :)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums hope you got everything fixed

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you got your issue resolved!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome.