New market appears on phone today

rdgxray

Reaction score
Today I rebooted my phone and another link to the market appeared on home screen. I clicked on it to see if duplicate of google market place and it took me to a website with info about another market and wanted me to install it. It was not google or amazon, I have both those already. I just closed down the browser and deleted the icon. How did it get there? Anyone have this appear? Obviously seems like malware...I didn't put the link on my home screen. Never heard of this new market. Searched google for info but found nothing. Should I install lookout (security software ) ? Never had anything weird happen on this phone before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Can you think of the last five or so apps that you've installed? Any of them fishy? That is weird...

OP
rdgxray

rdgxray

Reaction score
Here is a list of apps I have installed recently: 7 words, Dead runner, LOL pics, Mini Painters, Moon phase pro and updated Channels pro. No idea if any of these are the problem.

OP
rdgxray

rdgxray

Reaction score
Ok installed AVG PRO and scanned. Didn't find anything and now have continuous protection. Any special settings I need to change with it? It recommended turning off allowing unknown sources downloads, but that blocks amazon and I use it everyday. I only download from google marketplace and amazon. Only app I have downloaded from web is andwooble2. On google marketplace cannot get full version because full version allows nudity. I have had it installed for at least a year with no problems.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
How many of those apps listed do you download from Amazon??

Also, if you're rooted see if you can take a screen shot of all of this so we can get a better idea.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP
rdgxray

rdgxray

Reaction score
3 are from amazon. Moon phase pro, Dead Runner and Channels pro. I uninstalled all 3 because didn't use them and they seem suspicious. I am not rooted but have screengrabber installed so can get screenshots. Not sure exactly what to get shots of. I deleted icon. If I see anything suspicious again I will grab a shot and post it.

DeltaHotel

Reaction score
That crap is airpush.

Get an app called AirPush Detector from the market and it will identify the app you need to remove.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
That crap is airpush.

Get an app called AirPush Detector from the market and it will identify the app you need to remove.

no... not airpush. OP said is showed up on his homescreen. Airpush is in the notification bar.

To OP. You don't need an antivirus, they cause more harm than they're worth and there is no known malware (other than apps you install) for Android. Anything you get will come from an application you installed.
I'm really not sure what that was, I've never heard of something being added directly to your Homescreen. I would just go back and look at the permissions the apps were given and go from there! :)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Ok looked in browser history for today and found the site that popped up...got a screen of it...View attachment 45818

OK, I did a quick search on Wrappio and found out that a decent amount of people have had problems with it. It looks like airpush detector may in fact detect it, even though it isn't an airpush notification! :) Whatever you do, don't anybody sign up, :p supposedly they take $10 a month! o.0

Go download airpush notification and see if that detects the app that caused it! :)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

bladerunn3r

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like airpush. It stealth installed when I downloaded some torrent mp3 downloader off Android Market. First time I got a notification asking me to update the Android Market... Which I almost did!!! That would have cost me 10 bucks a month for who knows how long! Thank god I didn't.

NOTE: Airpush shows up in the notification bar, but if you tap on it in the pull down you'll get a large pop up window in the middle of the screen urging you to download something (Android Market, or something else).

Last edited:

rpainter4

Reaction score
It may not even be from a new install. It could be from an app that updated. I know I have seen airpush notifications trying to get me to install that same new market. I checked using Addons Detector and found a live wallpaper I had installed that had updated to include airpush. That was immediately uninstalled.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Listen to what Wrappio will do for $9.99/mo.

GET THE LATEST APP UPDATES!

On Your Mobile Phone! $9.99 a month

Wrappio is a revolutionary service that provides custom recommendations on new mobile apps! By subscribing to Wrappio you will receive weekly alerts with suggested applications to download. Additionally, you can text apps that you like to Wrappio to receive customized suggestions on downloads that are similar. As a subscriber, you can request upto 100 suggestions per month and 1 alert per week. The charge is $9.99/month.

That all it does....recommends? I can get that for free on this site!

Last edited: