New job, new computer, new phone, new issues...

PSSDroid

Reaction score
Recently took a new job and I work remote. Let me try to give you all the info I can.

Laptop - Lenovo, Phone - Galaxy S6, Email - Outlook, I believe it is a POP account.

We are a small company and do not have in house IT. As currently set up I receive my email on both the laptop and the phone. The two devices are not synced as I have to delete off both.

I never deleted emails, unless they were junk, from my phone so I had some access to information. In the last couple weeks, emails are deleting from my phone automatically. I have the settings at retrieve 50 and emails are not staying on there more than a day.

I stopped at AT&T yesterday and they said it is controlled by settings in my Outlook account.

Our outsourced IT is less than helpful and my boss told me to get a new phone. Somehow I don't believe the phone is the culprit here.

Ideas or suggestions?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
What email app are you using on your phone? It could be removing old emails to clear space.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
One of the devices, I suspect the laptop, using Outlook, has not been set to leave mail on the server so when you get them in that mail client they won't be available on any of the others. There is also typically a setting on the mail clients that will delete mail on the server when deleted in the mail client. Lots of variables and possibilities.

Based on some posts on other forums that setting about getting 50 messages rather than all messages could be a/the problem as well.

OP
P

PSSDroid

Reaction score
OK, I reset the phone to "Total" for the number of emails instead of 50.

Second. For several months the emails stayed on my phone, this deleting is a recent occurrence, say the last two weeks or so.

It looks like what you are saying is the pulling of emails off the server is a setting I can't control and is something being done by our email provider.

Mustang02 - App on phone? I really don't know, it's an icon that was set up when I got it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
No, it is under the control of whatever mail client you use. Every mail client I have ever used has a setting to leave mail on the server, usually for a set number of days. In Outlook, if you tell it to leave mail on the server it defaults to 14 days.

The best solution for portable devices that would probably solve the problem is to set ALL the mail clients up as IMAP. I have one system, my primary desktop, that deletes the mail on the server when I get it, all other devices are set to only delete it when I delete the message on that device. That keeps only the important stuff on my desktop.

Depending on the service you use for your mail there is one possible gotcha leaving all the mail on the server and that's whatever storage is available. Some providers have limits on the mail storage allotment.

OP
P

PSSDroid

Reaction score
OK, double checked and the emails are set to stay on for 14 days.

One other issue I'm experiencing. Emails are arriving on my laptop in duplicate. Strangely not at the same time either.

Last comment. Can I change my account on my phone from a POP to an IMAP?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't really explain the duplicates. That's something that would require some additional info at the minimum. Most mail clients won't simply allow you to change between POP and IMAP but you could add that IMAP account and tell the other account to stop fetching mail.