New Here

toolheadgames

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
optimus elite
Hey guys!
My name is Jonathan Glass and I just wanted to introduce myself.
I run Toolhead Games and am excited for our first Android game release in the play store!
As a new developer I've been finding it very difficult to get noticed in the play store.
Even posting an introduction on here that included a link to my site ended up getting deleted.
So what are some sites or resources you guys use to find new games?
There has to be a better way.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, I find most of my new games via reviews/etc from android-related sites, or by accident while browsing the Play Store.

Occasionally, I find a new game via word of mouth.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to DF

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome, glad you joined us.

OP
toolheadgames

toolheadgames

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
optimus elite
Welcome, glad you joined us.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
I got your message Jeffrey and I definitely hear where you're coming from.
I run a forum on a music site of mine and it's hard enough to keep spam out let alone tell who is a legitimate user. I'm definitely not a hit and run kind of guy though. I'm in it for the long haul and especially more so if I keep getting good advice like I already am on this thread alone.
On that note to Jonny Kansas...could you tell me some of the sites you're referring to?
I think the biggest problem with android games market is there is little to no quality control. Anybody can make any garbage they can think of and release it with little to no testing. Thus the play store has become saturated with nonsense and google is not helping with the algorithms they use.
I'm definitely the type of person that takes pride in my work though. I would rather create something that is fun with replay value than a quick gimmicky app.
That said I do look forward to hearing opinions and preferences from other users.
Good to be here guys.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Aside from this forum, I follow several sites via RSS feed and twitter.

Droid Life, Phandroid, Android Authority are the more android specific sites I frequent. I also sometimes find games/apps to try from articles on Gizmodo (even though they're HEAVILY in favor of Apple products there) and the Verge.

Other than that, it's kinda just trial and error. I browse the store and check out screen shots and videos. Your best bet to grab my attention is a great looking icon and name. That's the first step for me. If that doesn't get my attention, I don't go further. After that, if the description is lacking and/or the screenshots/videos don't show gameplay and graphics clearly so I get an idea of what I'm getting into, I'm out after that as well.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum...good luck with your app / game development.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
High score: 72

Ha ha I suck. Welcome to the forum.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Also don't forget the Amazon app store. There is also a free app of the day promotion for paid apps that gets your name and product out there quickly. Yes, you give up a small portion of profit on those who download the game during those promotions but it's only one day and the reviews are worth the small number of freebies.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Just tried the game. Three things...

First, if there's one thing I can't stand it's being blasted at full volume by the music from a video game unexpectedly when it starts. I had to scramble in a panic to then turn down the volume and it took several seconds before the volume control would even respond. All that time I was being blasted by the music. Perhaps a splash screen to "adjust your volume", before the music starts? Idk, something.

Second, after you hit "Play Game" it starts by showing ads for other games that can be downloaded but the screen size is incorrect and so the "X" to exit wasn't readily obvious at first. I began flipping by the ads and couldn't figure out how to get past it then noticed the half circle at the top right and figured it out. See screen shot below.

56cb52c9c2a74183181f156bfb6355ed.jpg

Third, in the middle of the game I got a phone call. After the call my screen went black but the music continued. I couldn't regain control of the game or even the phone at first. I tried hitting the back button but nothing happened. Eventually I was able to get to the home screen but even going to the home screen and back to it from the list of running apps kept taking me to the intro have title screen for about a half second and then right to a black screen while the music continued. The game was also still running in the background as I heard my player get killed. The back button did nothing. After maybe 6 attempts I was taken to the start screen where you hit "Play Game", probably because I got killed.

Hope these tips help.

P.S. I was bummed because I was on a roll and racking up points... Could have beat ollie's 72 with ease! :( Lol :p

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
8yde3usy.jpg

The ads before I could play had the x clearly visible.

I got rapid fire right before I died. That would've been fun.

Takes a second to adjust to the controls, but I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so it's device specific. I'm on a Motorola Droid MAXX. See screen shots below.

326263e71812b8fa14ae63344e8d8cde.jpg
566867ac82578e36bb6e9c8379760bf8.jpg
82ce509e07cb93df3f198a29bc3cfd2b.jpg
447b8102d65bb4de844426e15eb97205.jpg
99271b72dbc4922befbdc82938495be9.jpg
4e7ac1da6b42f3d3a693a086ddbcb786.jpg
13de7943eeb89deebf1c63646b690160.jpg
4d48377bef820f5feb918740269cc0a6.jpg
7de33ac9078911a380193cd32f37a7f4.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It would appear so. I'm on a Galaxy s4.

This is what I get...
y8atu9u7.jpg

Also, are these images from your game, or do I have someone else to thank for putting these in my gallery? There are 9 in the "mobvista_loading" folder.
tuvy6ame.jpg

a3ysahe8.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It would appear so. I'm on a Galaxy s4.

This is what I get...
y8atu9u7.jpg

Also, are these images from your game, or do I have someone else to thank for putting these in my gallery? There are 9 in the "mobvista_loading" folder.
tuvy6ame.jpg

a3ysahe8.jpg

Well, how the heck can I put images into your folder??? That's really strange. But I only see "loading" on those images.