New Droid X user- so far disappointed :(

re410

Reaction score
Have you contacted Verizon or even taken the phone to a store to have it looked at? I know it's fun to gripe on these boards, but the best thing to do is contact the vendor.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
That is next step if phone keeps acting goofy. I am pretty diligent so I will pursue fixes. Im not on here to gripe for fun, I just wanted the doggone phone to work right.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
I will have to go check, but I think it is N and WPA 2? Am at work right.now so I will check later. I downloaded the wifi analyzed app to see if there were issues with neighbors, but they were all on 6 and I was on 11.

Beka27

Reaction score
I have Netgear and I'm not nearly as computer-savvy as the vast majority of people on this site. I went to settings> wireless and network> checked Wi-Fi and from there it walked me thru to find the connection. The only thing I had to do physically on the router was push (reset?) the connection button.

Not sure if this is the issue you're having, you might have already tried this. I also have Beautiful Widget Toggles on one of my screens. As soon as the wi-fi setting synced up, the toggle switched itself on. Now I have the blue wi-fi icon in my notification bar which I never did before.

Edit to add: The screen is also where you go to turn on Bluetooth.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
N and WPA2 sounds right.

netgears are the easiest of routers to get to know and use, love 'em, even if I'm stuck with a Westell 7500 due to VZ DSL ... (hate port fwding on those babies)

If you give us the model number when you get home we can walk through any of it.

Kudos for using wifi analy to see if you have others on your channel! That can eliminate congestion as a possibility. Though I think you should just swap out the unit at this point.

That said though, I would check that the router is not set to be "N" only. I don't think the Droid can do "N", and unless you have otehr devices inthe residence that have "N" netcards, having it set on the router does nothing for you.

Som check that it is set to N and G at the very least.

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
N and WPA2 sounds right.

netgears are the easiest of routers to get to know and use, love 'em, even if I'm stuck with a Westell 7500 due to VZ DSL ... (hate port fwding on those babies)

If you give us the model number when you get home we can walk through any of it.

Kudos for using wifi analy to see if you have others on your channel! That can eliminate congestion as a possibility. Though I think you should just swap out the unit at this point.

That said though, I would check that the router is not set to be "N" only. I don't think the Droid can do "N", and unless you have otehr devices inthe residence that have "N" netcards, having it set on the router does nothing for you.

Som check that it is set to N and G at the very least.

I will do as you suggest and check/ modify this on my router.

I downloaded the 2.3 version a bit ago and thought this might clear things up but my phone just shut itself down again (after it had rebooted, etc.) Getting ready to pull battery out and it starts back up. It looks like this dud is going back to the store.....

z06mike

Reaction score
Some people have had connection issues while hooking up to N networks. You may want to drop it to G to see if that fixes the connection issue.

I can't remember if WPA was also causing issues or not.

The first thing I would do is just to change the channel on the router and see if that fixes it.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even simpler, drop to G and go unencrypted to begin with, eliminate and make it as simple as possible to start.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some people have had connection issues while hooking up to N networks. You may want to drop it to G to see if that fixes the connection issue.

I can't remember if WPA was also causing issues or not.

The first thing I would do is just to change the channel on the router and see if that fixes it.

N is backward compatible. The phone is B or G and an N router will work just fine. The security might be the problem. My old router would not acknowledge the ping from the phone because of a bad port. It was a G router and I replaced it with a Linksys N. One of our cordless phones screws up the wifi on everything in our house so I had to change the channel on the router for that.
The powering off issue is a must take back IMO even if the wifi and bluetooth get fixed. Totally unacceptable and I'd be upset with that too , especially after leaving a carrier because I couldn't use their product, no matter what it is
I do remember the frustration of my new phone connecting to every wifi signal within a half mile but mine.

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a N router at my house also and my playstation and D2 hook up just fine and its pass protected

Sent from my D2

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help on here. I stopped by the store and they are going to switch it out this week with a new one. The guy said he had seen bad ones occassionally. Oddly enough, when I got home and recharged the phone, it connected to the WiFi. My son said he had rebooted it. Go figure, I had done that already and it didn't work. Hopefully all goes well with the new one.
Once it is working up to expectations I will change to pleased so far :)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad it's working out for you, especially the going to give you a NEW , wiring working without reboot on its own one.
I went thru 3 Dares during my first 30 days, the 4the has been good since Dec 8 2008 and still being used. It's , imo, the best dumbphone ever made by anyone on any network

OP
B

BigBuck

Reaction score
UPDATE: This is ridiculous !

Here is an update for those of you who responded to my initial post. The internet connection is not an issue in so much that I have to unplug my router to reset it. I still think that is bull but I have bigger fish to fry. If you remember, I was having the phone lock up on me, apps not work, phone shut down.

Well, I FINALLY got a new one last night. As of this morning, the phone had locked up numerous times, shut down several times on it's own and I have had to take the battery out several times to get it to turn back on. It is sitting here beside me at my desk waiting for me to take the battery out. Not going to. It's going back to the store like this.

I don't know what CRAP Verizon is selling but I have had it with the Droid X. I am not even running any apps on the d*amn thing. I haven't had a phone that has worked properly in 2 1/2 weeks. I wish I could see what high speed, reliable gear you guys are seeing- but enough is enough. :mad:

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Belkin routers do not like android. Don't know if you have a Belkin. If you are not willing to switch channels or even see why your router isn't playing nice with your android devices maybe you need to go back to an iPhone.
I too had a problem when I first got my Inc and it was a bad port on the router, don't know why it connected to EVERY other wifi device in the house but it was a bad router.
From the way you are describing your phone wont connect to anything wireless I agree take it back for exchange.
As far as your wife's not connecting to wifi, again it could be a simple channel change, could be anything.
IPhone is basically set up for those who don't or wont. Android is for the rest of us

That's interesting what you say about Belkin Routers. I purchased one off of Amazon, and it took maybe 2-3 minutes to set up. I bought it for the Maylong M-150 tablet, but all three of my Android phones hook up to it with no problem, and I'm not a tech expert, by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I just got lucky with my group of phones and this particular router, but so far no problems.

-Mike