New Droid user... What are the key apps to have?

oregonboas

Reaction score
Hey guys! I finally made the move to the Droid from my BB Storm. So far... I like it. But I would like some input from you experienced Droid users on what the "must have" apps and such are.

I have three questions to start with.
1. Where at on the SD card do I put the ringtones that I already have and like on my current SD card, so they show up in the ringtone section and not the music area?

2. I use 2 comcast emails, right now they are configured under one email icon, I have to open it first, then open the correct email account. Is there a way to have the accounts under separate icons?

3. Is there a better way to see new message alerts? The little status bar at the top is less visual than I am used to...

Thanks in advance for the help.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I finally made the move to the Droid from my BB Storm. So far... I like it. But I would like some input from you experienced Droid users on what the "must have" apps and such are.

1. Where at on the SD card do I put the ringtones that I already have and like on my current SD card, so they show up in the ringtone section and not the music area?

2. I use 2 comcast emails, right now they are configured under one email icon, I have to open it first, then open the correct email account. Is there a way to have the accounts under separate icons?

3. Is there a better way to see new message alerts? The little status bar at the top is less visual than I am used to...

1) Create a folder called "Ringtones" and stash the files in there. Same with "Notifications" for notifications, and "Alarms" for alarm tones.

2) Not sure there's a way to do this. Some people use an e-mail app called K9 -- you might be able to do it with this, but I dont know. You could configure one under E-Mail and another under GMail, but I doubt that's what you want, sort of a crappy workaround.

3) There are a ton of apps that increase various message notifications. Apps like Handcent can change SMS and MMS notifications, and other e-mail apps (like K9) can change e-mail notifications.

Must have apps:
Google Voice -- if you can score an invite, then it's a great alternative to Visual Voicemail
Handcent -- much better than the stock SMS/MMS software
ASTRO -- a genera file manager, like Windows Explorer or Nautilus for your Droid
Bluetooth File Transfer -- for exactly what it sounds like
Google Earth -- just kind of fun to have, if you're not rooted though, you need a modified version, not the one in the Market
Pandora and iHeartRadio are great for music/radio
Where - like Poynt for BB -- yellowpages, movie times, gas prices, general useful information organized well.
MyBackupPro or Titanium -- let you backup all of your personal data, so if you have to do a factory wipe, you're not going to lose anything important
Mobile Defense -- lets you lock/unlock your phone remotely, as well as locate it via GPS if it's ever lost or stolen.

A lot of people will tell you you should root -- I'll agree with them after you've gotten to know your Droid fairly well. Rooting opens up all sorts of other options to you and your phone, but I would get familiar with the stock phone and it's behavior before you go tinkering.

Happy Droiding

Last edited:

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

1) Create a folder called "Ringtones" and stash the files in there. Same with "Notifications" for notifications, and "Alarms" for alarm tones.

2) Not sure there's a way to do this. Some people use an e-mail app called K9 -- you might be able to do it with this, but I dont know. You could configure one under E-Mail and another under GMail, but I doubt that's what you want, sort of a crappy workaround.

3) There are a ton of apps that increase various message notifications. Apps like Handcent can change SMS and MMS notifications, and other e-mail apps (like K9) can change e-mail notifications.

Must have apps:
Google Voice -- if you can score an invite, then it's a great alternative to Visual Voicemail
Handcent -- much better than the stock SMS/MMS software
ASTRO -- a genera file manager, like Windows Explorer or Nautilus for your Droid
Bluetooth File Transfer -- for exactly what it sounds like
Google Earth -- just kind of fun to have, if you're not rooted though, you need a modified version, not the one in the Market
Pandora and iHeartRadio are great for music/radio
Where - like Poynt for BB -- yellowpages, movie times, gas prices, general useful information organized well.
MyBackupPro or Titanium -- let you backup all of your personal data, so if you have to do a factory wipe, you're not going to lose anything important
Mobile Defense -- lets you lock/unlock your phone remotely, as well as locate it via GPS if it's ever lost or stolen.

A lot of people will tell you you should root -- I'll agree with them after you've gotten to know your Droid fairly well. Rooting opens up all sorts of other options to you and your phone, but I would get familiar with the stock phone and it's behavior before you go tinkering.

Happy Droiding

What kwmayo said and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

OP
O

oregonboas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

So far I like the Droid over the Storm. I figured out how to set a custom tone to SMS, but I haven't figured out how to assign a different alert to MMS or new VM. I use the Visual VM from VZW. I am looking into the Google Voice, but haven't pulled the trigger... yet.

Jages16

Reaction score
Can someone explain what ASTRO does specifically? What do you mean it's like Windows Exlporer? Thanks!

M

Matth3w

Have you never browsed or managed files via Windows Explorer or My Computer?

Jages16

Reaction score
I have. Actually getting the DROID on Thursday and assumed something like this would already be pre-installed. Can I assume it isn't then? Sorry to play dumb. Just want to have all the goodies out of the gate. Has ASTRO created any problems for anyone on their phones?