New Droid User/How long will Droid be on top?

TopperHarley

Reaction score
Hello all, I just bought a Droid yesterday, upgraded from an LG Voyager, and I actually stayed in on a Saturday night just to play around with it all night! I love it so far.

I went in to look at the new Devour because I wanted as new a phone as I could get. But side by side with the Droid it didn't even compare! My question is how long do you guys/gals think it will be until the Droid is obsolete? It always seems like I buy a new phone and then another much better phone comes out almost immediately and I'm stuck with a second place phone for a couple years. Let's face it the Droid is the best phone out there and I want it to stay that way!!! :) :) :)

OP
T

TopperHarley

Reaction score
you might want to stop roping goats and keep your negativity somewhere else.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, lets not get off on the wrong foot. TopperHarley to answer your question the Droid will be obsolete when it's no longer in demand. Right now it's still in high demand, my wife just ordered one.

I'm not pleased with the response you got from jsh1120 but I will tell you that we do not tolerate bad language in this forum. I've edited your post. We welcome you here but please in the future avoid using bad language.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Calm down, son. Just pointing out that you're engaged in an impossible quest. As long as you want a wireless carrier to finance your phone for you, you'll never be able to have the latest and greatest phone for more than a few months. But congratulations for falling into the most common trap of consumerism.

CatsTide

Reaction score
You might try tying your self-esteem to something other than whether you have the hottest new phone.
well that's just hard to do isn't it?
TopperHarley;34n't it?5298 said:
you might want to stop roping goats and keep your negativity somewhere else.
nice

the droid won't be obsolete for a very long time. with the technology that's packed inside it will be a top phone for some time. as far as how long on top? i'd say for about another week or so. have you heard about the "incredible " that is supposed to come to verizon in a week or so? it will top the droid in specs and performance.,,,some may disagree but bring it on...

OP
T

TopperHarley

Reaction score
I'm not pleased with the response you got from jsh1120 but I will tell you that we do not tolerate bad language in this forum. I've edited your post. We welcome you here but please in the future avoid using bad language.

Noted. Sorry about that :)

the droid won't be obsolete for a very long time. with the technology that's packed inside it will be a top phone for some time. as far as how long on top? i'd say for about another week or so. have you heard about the "incredible " that is supposed to come to verizon in a week or so? it will top the droid in specs and performance.,,,some may disagree but bring it on...

I have heard about it, and have read all the specs/reviews. It seems like it'll be a pretty good challenger. But I have never been a fan of an on-screen keyboard and I know there are plenty others out there that are the same way, keeping phones like the Droid in high demand. I would never buy a phone without a physical QWERTY. I have big hands so whenever I try using an on-screen I have a real hard time. I'm having trouble getting acclimated to the Droid's (non-raised) keyboard, but I'm sure it'll get better with time, as it always does.

CatsTide

Reaction score
I have heard about it, and have read all the specs/reviews. It seems like it'll be a pretty good challenger. But I have never been a fan of an on-screen keyboard and I know there are plenty others out there that are the same way, keeping phones like the Droid in high demand. I would never buy a phone without a physical QWERTY. I have big hands so whenever I try using an on-screen I have a real hard time. I'm having trouble getting acclimated to the Droid's (non-raised) keyboard, but I'm sure it'll get better with time, as it always does.
i'm 6'1" 250lbs with large hands also.i never pull out my physical keyboard. to me the onscreen keyboard is just so much easier and faster. you might give it a try for a while and see what you think...remember ,there is a learning curve...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

In that case you'd better come to terms with having an "obsolete" phone because physical keyboards are virtually certain to disappear in the next few years.

Physical keyboards (a) add weight, (b) are costly to engineer and manufacture, and (c) break because they're mechanical. All of that adds up to less profit for phone manufacturers and the carriers who so kindly subsidize your purchase.

The development of alternatives in the form of "swiping" rather than "tapping" input methods is already obvious and that trend will only accelerate. And the fact that there is virtually no manufacturing cost for a virtual keyboard makes the trend irresistible.

OP
T

TopperHarley

Reaction score
In that case you'd better come to terms with having an "obsolete" phone because physical keyboards are virtually certain to disappear in the next few years.

Physical keyboards (a) add weight, (b) are costly to engineer and manufacture, and (c) break because they're mechanical. All of that adds up to less profit for phone manufacturers and the carriers who so kindly subsidize your purchase.

The development of alternatives in the form of "swiping" rather than "tapping" input methods is already obvious and that trend will only accelerate. And the fact that there is virtually no manufacturing cost for a virtual keyboard makes the trend irresistible.

You bring up some good points. I better enjoy it while I have it, but you're right, the physical keyboard will probably get phased out within the next few cycles. Thin/lightweight/touch is the trend now, and will only continue to be so.

Hermes

Reaction score
IMO, more importantly than the model of the device is the operating system. I've had a cellphone for fifteen years now and had many smart phones/pocket PC's from winmo to blackberry devices but this Android thing amazing.

him

Reaction score
I don't think the droid will be obsolete for at least another 4-5 years. I say this because to me obsolete means no longer useful and unable to function with current tech out. Because its a very speced phone that will take a while. As fast as the best tech out it lost that when the nexus one came out and also the galaxy ii.

It may not be able to out perform the newer phones that are coming out but it is far from being obsolete.

I don't think we will ever get rid of physical keyboards regardless of apples way ahead because they are functional and useful and people will continue to buy phones with them on em. I do however plan on laying down the cash for the new incredible when it comes out...only because of the faster processor and better camera.

internetchick

Reaction score
I don't think the droid will be obsolete for at least another 4-5 years. I say this because to me obsolete means no longer useful and unable to function with current tech out. Because its a very speced phone that will take a while. As fast as the best tech out it lost that when the nexus one came out and also the galaxy ii.

It may not be able to out perform the newer phones that are coming out but it is far from being obsolete.

I don't think we will ever get rid of physical keyboards regardless of apples way ahead because they are functional and useful and people will continue to buy phones with them on em. I do however plan on laying down the cash for the new incredible when it comes out...only because of the faster processor and better camera.

I completely agree.

I am replaced my RAZR with a Droid. I have had that RAZR for almost 5 years, and when I went it to look at Droids in person I saw that they still sell RAZRs. Is it a high demand phone anymore? No, but it is not obsolete. Part of why I got the Droid is that I am not someone who gets a new phone as often as possible and I wanted something I knew would work well for me for the next 4 to 5 years.