how long does your batter last?

mjs31

Reaction score
11 - 13 hours depending on use. If I am doing heavy surfing you can subtract an hour or two. If I turn on wifi forget it. I would say this is on average or a hair above for smart phones. As mentioned, the large touch screen is very nice, but it is a battery eater. I tend to leave my screen at 25% brightness and only on occasion do I turn it up.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
My Batter only lasts until it hits the skillet.. then it morphs into yummy pancakes!

Big Cam

Reaction score
About every 30 charges I run my phone dead and today was one of those days, and I streamed music over 3g for 4 hours and 10 mintues until the phone shut off.

otherwise, it lasts at least 14 hours with occasional use, the more I use it the less i get. i charge it literally whenever possible, I always know in my head wheter or not I should be planning on charging it soon. kind of sucks, btu the smarter the phone, the less battery life you can expect.

Mayhew

Reaction score
I can get a good 14 - 15 hours with moderate usage. Lot's of people have commented on how wi-fi sucks the battery. I thought that wi-fi used less juice than a 3G connection. Anyone?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can get a good 14 - 15 hours with moderate usage. Lot's of people have commented on how wi-fi sucks the battery. I thought that wi-fi used less juice than a 3G connection. Anyone?

I've done some testing, but don't have a clear picture yet.

WiFi may use less battery when it's actually doing something. But with WiFi on and the phone doing nothing, it will drain battery.

I've been looking at my battery usage and playing around with different settings. Screen is always on lowest brightness in my apartment. I would say with WiFi on all the time, it's in the 8% range on battery usage...if I get about 10 hours on these settings, that means my WiFi is draining about 1.25 hours of battery...so if I actually only used WiFi for 15 minutes I "wasted" over an hour of battery.

For now I'm leaving my screen on all day (power right nearby)...A great thing I've found is I have a "home standby" Locale setting that turns off WiFi (and some other stuff) when my droid is laying flat on a table. When I pick it up, it takes 5-10 seconds to turn on WiFi which really isn't noticeable by the time you launch a browser and enter your search. But now that I have VoIP I may leave WiFi on all the time.

By far the the display and talk are the biggest battery killers (each minute on a call sucks about 2.5 minutes from your battery's potential usage time).

Last edited:

NoKz

Reaction score
My phone can last all day on just texting. And if I do more, I can get about 8-10 hours. I always have GPS/WiFi/Blue-Tooth of via the power widget. I have SetCPU running profiles that under clocks my phone to 250MHz while in sleep/standby and I run on medium screen brightness.

For this thing constantly being online syncing, receiving my email, fetching news and being overclocked, the battery life is pretty damn good IMO. However, I always bring my USB cable with me so I can charge it via computer or USB input on my trucks head unit.

When the battery gets to 25%, SetCPU drops my speed down to a stock speed of 550MHz and I used the lowest brightness setting for the screen. It's all about power management. Every little bit helps. :icon_ banana:

bronx finest

Reaction score
Droider4life, you shouldn't be running your battery down all the way. That will doom your battery to an early grave as well. It's better to keep it charged up than to let it really low.
Gotcha... last night was the first time I have done it. It was kind of like a last ditch effort. I can't seem to figure out why my battery life is so poor. Although it seemed to help. I will be sure to take ur advice tho since I don't want to ruin my battery! Maybe its a faulty battery? But 8hrs tops with medium use shouldn't kill it so fast I wouldn't think. It usually drops ten percent within a half hour and another ten an hour later without even using it.. I am totally open to any suggestions!
Maybe download ATK free, and ensure you're closing open programs that don't need to be running.

Also you can turn down your backlight timeout, and if you're not needing to be on the Wifi turn it off.

I can easily get 12-14hours out of my Droid before it hits 15%, and as soon as it does (or before it even does) I'll throw it on the charger.

SuGaR

Reaction score
Bugless Beast v1.1 OC @ 900/250 when running and I get ~ 24 hrs not under heavy use. Under heavy use about 16-20.

droider4life

Reaction score
Droider4life, you shouldn't be running your battery down all the way. That will doom your battery to an early grave as well. It's better to keep it charged up than to let it really low.
Gotcha... last night was the first time I have done it. It was kind of like a last ditch effort. I can't seem to figure out why my battery life is so poor. Although it seemed to help. I will be sure to take ur advice tho since I don't want to ruin my battery! Maybe its a faulty battery? But 8hrs tops with medium use shouldn't kill it so fast I wouldn't think. It usually drops ten percent within a half hour and another ten an hour later without even using it.. I am totally open to any suggestions!
Maybe download ATK free, and ensure you're closing open programs that don't need to be running.

Also you can turn down your backlight timeout, and if you're not needing to be on the Wifi turn it off.

I can easily get 12-14hours out of my Droid before it hits 15%, and as soon as it does (or before it even does) I'll throw it on the charger.

I tried the atk thing for a while. It just seemed to become an ocd obsession without any benefits for battery life for me anyways. I really don't have many apps running in the background weatherbug and beautiful Widgets mostly... I make sure to turn the screen way down as low as I can stand it and I use power widget and keep wifi GPS all that stuff off also.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-not-worry-about-apps-running-background.html

Last edited:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
With moderate use I usually get about 12-14 hours of use. I have gotten in the habit of plugging it up every night when I go to bed. My husband seems to get almost 2 days out of his but he does not do too much on it. A few calls and text messages here and there but he does obsess with the task killer app.

r-dubya

Reaction score
Light to moderate use i can usually make it to the end of my day on one charge (i get home about 10 pm, and my day starts at 7am). Heavy use however will warrant me having to charge around 6 or 7 pm.

rkeller62

Reaction score
Probably not. There is a lot of information and mis-information out there regarding Li-Ion batteries. While they prefer partial charges to full charges, the real things to worry about regarding life are over-charges and over-discharges.

Here is a small quote from the following link: How to prolong lithium-based batteries
"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) "

So full discharges about once a month help to re-calibrate your battery life display and should have minimal impact on battery life.

Here is another link that discusses charging of Li-Ion batteries for those geeks out there that like to read up on this stuff! :reddroid:
Charging lithium-ion batteries
[/FONT]

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Usually while I am waiting for my ambien to kick in I am customizing sweeter home 2, using bettercut regularly and listening to music the entire time.

:laugh::laugh:

I used to EAT crazy stuff once my ambien kicked in, but now I go my butt to bed and turn out the light as soon as I take it. I'm afraid if I get my Droid off the dock once it's kicked in I'll have it displaying movies where the costume budget is very limited. Pulling a Tiger Woods or something.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'm getting at least twice the battery life now than when the phone was new to me. Partly because I use it somewhat less during the day. Mostly due to the fact that I've got the screen as dim as it will go (took a couple of days to adjust, but now I think its too bright at any other setting), and I've got all my app's notifications set for longer frequencies. I also put it to sleep as soon as I'm ready to set it down. Give these things a try and I'll bet you'll get at least a full day off of a charge.