how long does your batter last?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by yyhh94, Feb 22, 2010.

1. yyhh94

yyhh94 New Member

i jsut got my droid on saturday and i noticed that this phone had very little battery life compared to the LG dare. i had 40% battery life when i started school and with very minimal usage, like when i move from class to class, the battery completly died when school ended. my school starts at 8 and ends at 2:30

so is there a problem with my battery or is it supposed to be like this?
    all i did was txt and go on the internet a few times;;
  2. pigpen

pigpen New Member

I get a little more then 24 hours ... talking , texting , and browsing all day. If i notice its dying faster than usual, i'll turn off sync, gps and lower the brightness to the lowest setting til i can get it on a charger. Haven't had it die on in me in the wild yet though.

Edit: my uptime right now is 560:07:45
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. xliderider

xliderider New Member

There is no comparison between a feature phone and a smart phone like the Droid when it comes to battery life.

My wife's Dare could go 5 - 7 days between charging, but she has to charge her Droid Eris every night.

Smartphones are always connected to the internet and checking for email and updating widget information like weather apps, etc.
  4. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

touchscreen phone have crappy battery life. you are actually lucky you have a droid for two reasons.. 1: you can get another battery and swap it out, and 2: the droid battery lasts longer that many other touchscreen phones.. depends on your settings, of course.
  5. mikecolorama

mikecolorama New Member

i've made it a habit to charge my droid every night before i go to bed and i have no problem using it the following day
  6. yyhh94

yyhh94 New Member

Could it be because its new? I read somewhere I need to do a couple of charge cycle before the battery's full potential comes out(?)something like that.
  7. droider4life

droider4life New Member

I usually get between 6-8 hrs with medium use. That has been the case since I got my phone. Which was just before Christmas. Last night I ran it totally dead since my normal routine has been to charge most of the day while at work. But today I went from 8 this morning till ten before I had to plug it in. Which is significantly better than even yesterday.. I have been reading everywhere on here to find how to save life but can't find many direct answers.
  8. masterxchief

masterxchief New Member

WOW! I can barely make it a week without restarting my phone!

Anyways my battery lasts me throughout the day and if I need more juice I just use my extended battery which practically lasts forever.
  9. xliderider

xliderider New Member

Droider4life, you shouldn't be running your battery down all the way. That will doom your battery to an early grave as well. It's better to keep it charged up than to let it really low.
  10. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Gotcha... last night was the first time I have done it. It was kind of like a last ditch effort. I can't seem to figure out why my battery life is so poor. Although it seemed to help. I will be sure to take ur advice tho since I don't want to ruin my battery! Maybe its a faulty battery? But 8hrs tops with medium use shouldn't kill it so fast I wouldn't think. It usually drops ten percent within a half hour and another ten an hour later without even using it.. I am totally open to any suggestions!
  11. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

i have to keep a charger on me; half way through the day I am at 40%. Part of it is because I am running live wall papers. Before live wall papers I would still need my charger to run pandora and other apps throughout the day.
  12. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

My phone will usually last now, on average of 12 hours or so. I usually keep my screen brightness down to 25-30%, which other then direct sunlight, it is perfect to read anything on. The screen brightness and GPS will eat battery life very fast.
  13. Enter

Enter New Member

I was surfing the web today for 4 continuous hours! Usually I only get 2-3 and it dies but I still had 40% battery after 4 hours. By the way, I had about 8 different windows open, or whatever the limit is the entire time. The only time I stopped was for temperature and it only happened about 5 times where it went to 119.
  14. Mars

Mars New Member

keep the brightness setting on really low, try to minimize the wifi on setting and always turn the display off via the power button if not in use these steps alone will help with more battery life
  15. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 New Member

I get an entire day out of my battery life. This is with using wifi to ftp at least a few things most days, heavy heavy usage at night. Usually while I am waiting for my ambien to kick in I am customizing sweeter home 2, using bettercut regularly and listening to music the entire time.

I am rooted using what appears to be a kernel from smoked glass, just the kernel, overclocked to 800/
  16. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

11 - 13 hours depending on use. If I am doing heavy surfing you can subtract an hour or two. If I turn on wifi forget it. I would say this is on average or a hair above for smart phones. As mentioned, the large touch screen is very nice, but it is a battery eater. I tend to leave my screen at 25% brightness and only on occasion do I turn it up.
  17. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

My Batter only lasts until it hits the skillet.. then it morphs into yummy pancakes!
  18. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

About every 30 charges I run my phone dead and today was one of those days, and I streamed music over 3g for 4 hours and 10 mintues until the phone shut off.

otherwise, it lasts at least 14 hours with occasional use, the more I use it the less i get. i charge it literally whenever possible, I always know in my head wheter or not I should be planning on charging it soon. kind of sucks, btu the smarter the phone, the less battery life you can expect.
  19. Mayhew

Mayhew New Member

I can get a good 14 - 15 hours with moderate usage. Lot's of people have commented on how wi-fi sucks the battery. I thought that wi-fi used less juice than a 3G connection. Anyone?
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I've done some testing, but don't have a clear picture yet.

WiFi may use less battery when it's actually doing something. But with WiFi on and the phone doing nothing, it will drain battery.

I've been looking at my battery usage and playing around with different settings. Screen is always on lowest brightness in my apartment. I would say with WiFi on all the time, it's in the 8% range on battery usage...if I get about 10 hours on these settings, that means my WiFi is draining about 1.25 hours of battery...so if I actually only used WiFi for 15 minutes I "wasted" over an hour of battery.

For now I'm leaving my screen on all day (power right nearby)...A great thing I've found is I have a "home standby" Locale setting that turns off WiFi (and some other stuff) when my droid is laying flat on a table. When I pick it up, it takes 5-10 seconds to turn on WiFi which really isn't noticeable by the time you launch a browser and enter your search. But now that I have VoIP I may leave WiFi on all the time.

By far the the display and talk are the biggest battery killers (each minute on a call sucks about 2.5 minutes from your battery's potential usage time).
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
Search tags for this page
how long can beer batter sit
how long can i keep beer batter
how long can i keep beer batter for
how long does a battery last in a droid phone
how long does a tempura batter last
how long does beer batter keep
how long does beer batter keep?

how long does beer batter last

how long does beer batter last?

how long does tempura batter last