New Droid Maxx 2 battery running very hot in 30 min use

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Hi everyone,
I couldn't find an actual forum on batteries running hot, so please let me know if there is one I need to post in.
My problem is that I bought a brand new DM2 a few weeks ago, and within the last week or so, my battery starts running hot very quickly (I would probably take it back to Verizon, but it's out of the 15 day window for returns).

I rarely watch videos or play music. The few videos I watch are never more than several minutes. These last few days it's getting worse. This morning, I spent 34 min. browsing internet and watched one 4 min. video clip. All the rest of the time was spent reading RSS feeds and checking email. I got the Hot Temp alert and it was at 101.9 and climbing. (Luckily, I had my old Maxx for backup. My Maxx started doing this before, but not until it was about 2 yrs old, not 2 weeks)!

I have one of those 2 pc soft/hard plastic covers, but don't imagine that makes any difference? I'm running Marshmallow 6.0.1.

Thanx for any help you can give! :)
Stephanie

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sorry for the lack of response. Maybe my post will stimulate some response.

Many things can contribute to excessive heating, including poor signal strength, intensive operations such as video streaming, rogue processes or apps running in the background, apps downloading updates in the background, and combinations of the above for starters. I would look at what things are running in the background that may be consuming large percentages of processing or doing large or constant data exchange. Anything that's running in the background when coupled with watching streaming video can result in heating up the processor and other motherboard components.

Also look at your signal levels history on the battery screen in settings to see if low signal level is a contributing factor. Running your screen at full brightness will consume battery quicker and that will contribute to the problem since the battery will heat up during heavy use.

I can't say for sure why this phone is acting differently than your OG DM, but it could be something completely unrelated to the phone itself.

Good luck and keep us informed as you troubleshoot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Hi Kat, thanx for the quick answer.
I've attached some screenshots. Hope this helps. Basically, when it starts to run hot, this is what I've been doing prior.

* NOT viewing any videos, no streaming, no YT....basically, nothing that "moves"! :)
*Have adaptive brightness on with "Battery Saver"
* Manually update Google Play Apps"

As far as I can tell, I'm not running any battery-draining apps. Since it's a new phone, I went through and disabled all the unnecesaray apps. The only ones I reinstalled are the trusted ones I used on my Droid Maxx that never gave me problems. (even after 2-1/2 yrs, although my DM wasn't holding the charge it had at the beginning, and I'd usually do a partial charge twice a day, but it didn't get run as hot as the DM in such a short time).

I'm not that experienced or knowledgable on checking all the battery levels, running processes, etc. I'd really appreciate any further advice you can give. I know it's very difficult to determine battery charge & overheating problems on individual phones. It seems to be a popular issue with lots of different phones.

Thanx!
Stephanie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160820-004240.png
    Screenshot_20160820-004240.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Can't see screenshots.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160820-004240.png
    Screenshot_20160820-004240.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 261
  • Screenshot_20160820-004220.png
    Screenshot_20160820-004220.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 292
  • Screenshot_20160820-003342.png
    Screenshot_20160820-003342.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot_20160820-003332.png
    Screenshot_20160820-003332.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot_20160820-003252.png
    Screenshot_20160820-003252.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Screenshot_20160820-003234.png
    Screenshot_20160820-003234.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 254

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Signal looks OK most of the time. Awake time looks real good, keeping with screen ON time. Battery consumption looks good as well. Apps are good, only Facebook is using anything substantial as expected.

I'm not seeing anything that would suggest a cause for the heating up.

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Signal looks OK most of the time. Awake time looks real good, keeping with screen ON time. Battery consumption looks good as well. Apps are good, only Facebook is using anything substantial as expected.

I'm not seeing anything that would suggest a cause for the heating up.

Thank you! It's definitely a head-scratcher. But at least now, I can eliminate these items from my checklist. I'll pop back in if I find anything new to add.

Thanks again, Stephanie

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I will ask this .did you do a factory data reset before moving in to your new device? I always do...but when I had to have my t2 warrantied. ,I didn't ..and I had a similar issue..I didn't want to do one either..so I wasted a week removing and reinstalling apps, clearing the cache, charging while powered off..I wanted to throw the dang thing through the wall..see if the screen will survive that..lol..

Anyhow..I checked for an update..put everything important in my SD card...and did the update and an FDR right after..no problems with the device since then.vzws service ..that's another story .

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Well, that must have been a lot of fun. LOL... I've never had to do an FDR, and didn't even think about that when getting a new phone. I don't have a ton of stuff installed, so it wouldn't be that much of a pain to do one and put everything back.

This afternoon, I did all the different suggestions that everyone has posted. I'm going to test it tonight, running it the exact same way I was before it started heating up. If all that works, then I'll be good to go. If not, I'll do an FDR. WTH, I always do clean installs with new PC operating systems, and I'm sure that's a lot more painful than an FDR! LOL

Thanks for the info. I'll pop back in with the results. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Good luck...there's probably another way..but after using Android for so many years .and NOT having tons of time to play with a device that's not firing on all chips....so to speak..I just cut the crud ...do the deed and carry on..I know FDR's aren't popular..but especially on a new device ..it's a fast efficient way to getting moved in with zero crud..I never thought to do it until a tier 3 tech suggested it for security reasons and she went on to further explain really good reasons .. so..I do..lol..good luck once again..hope you don't have to do the dreaded FDR..but know before Verizon will warranty with a now second hand phone.theyll require you do one anyway. Sadly

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Hi guys, so far so good! I did all the steps that FoxKat mentioned and then the FDR that 94lt1 suggested. Actually, I rather enjoy doing the FDR. I feel so clean now! Kinda like when you get your car washed and it feels like it's running better, even though you know it really isn't. LOL everything installed seamlessly and right now I've been on the phone about an hour and 15 minutes. Temperature is spot-on. I was burning hot at 30 minutes before, so I am dancing on the floor!

I'm curious though, I would have thought the battery would be hardware, so to speak, and that there might be a flaw . I'm wondering how doing an FDR actually allows the battery to go back to its normal state. I installed all the apps that I was running before. Nothing new at all. So, what was it exactly that cleared this issue up?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Glad to hear the results were successful for you. Truth is, yes the battery is Hardware but it's a dumb piece of hardware meaning it has no brain and only does what is asked of it. It will supply as much power as as requested by components, up to the maximum amount that it's capable of producing. The more power it is asked to produce, the warmer it will get. These batteries are capable of dumping massive amounts of power over very short periods of time, and as a result they also can heat up quite dramatically in a very short period of time. This is actually one of the problems with these batteries in that charging them must be done at a slower rate in order to prevent the opposite from happening which is heating up of the battery due to charge being replaced or installed into the battery versus coming out.

Still, it's not just the battery that will heat up under stressful situations. The microprocessor, the co-processor, other devices such as the amplifier for the radio transmitters, even other components such as audio and video chips will all heat up as they're being asked to perform more intense function. In fact they will actually heat up much quicker, but will also cool down much quicker. Since the board which contains all of these chips is very small, and these chips are also very small, and they're all concentrated inside a very small package, and are placed flat up against the battery and the video display, it's difficult to tell from the outside what components are actually heating up. From the end user's perspective the device will feel hot all over, but will possibly have one or more hot spots where the overall temperature is distinctly elevated in certain areas. In fact much of the heat that the battery may seem to be producing could in fact be heat transferred from these smaller components which can reach much higher temperatures in just seconds as usage increases.

As for why it was heating up before but after several measures suggested by myself and 94lt1, it seems to have been resolved it could be anything one issue however a Factory Data Restore has a unique way of realigning or streamlining processes that may have somehow become a mess, possibly looping to get a process done which would normally be accomplished straight on. It's these looping processes that can contribute to excessive use of the processor and coprocessor, and would result in rapid increase of these components' temperatures. It is entirely possible that the Restore alone was the deciding factor in getting control of this overheating.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
On spot as usual for FoxKat..totally agree.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
On spot as usual for FoxKat..totally agree.
Why thank you, but the credit may actually be yours for solving this one. And of course I'm not surprised either!

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
You two must really love your jobs! I learned a lot of interesting things and I appreciate the detailed advice and suggestions. It gives me a much better idea of what's under the hood. :)

I have an Antec 900 computer case. I love their cases, and bought this one specifically so I could see all the components. So, I'm wondering, when are we going to get a smartphone like that? Not just one of those transparent phones, but one where you could actually see the battery, microprocessor, chips, etc.

Oh, and while we're at .... it would be nice to have some kind of indicator lights (like our car dashboard lights) that would flash around the malfunctioning component! LOL

Now, that would be sweet!

Last edited: