New Droid coming this month ?

bobby512

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help. My Verizon store tells me that there is a new Droid phone coming later this month. I want to buy one but she was unable to tell me the benefits of waiting for this phone to arrive. Can anyone inform me ?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help. My Verizon store tells me that there is a new Droid phone coming later this month. I want to buy one but she was unable to tell me the benefits of waiting for this phone to arrive. Can anyone inform me ?

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. She's probably referring to the N1 which is suppose to be coming to Verizon. Main difference is it doesn't have a physical keyboard and it comes with the 2.1 OS that we are still waiting for. May be some other differences, appearance of course and some other stuff too.

Glad you found us, let us know if we can help you with anything else. :)

MotoDroid

Reaction score
Welcome bobby512! This is a great place to be.........I love my Droid.....I don't know if I would wait on the N1 or not. They are both great phones, just different. I'm not sure if the N1 has been rooted yet, I think it has, but you may want to check.

techguru

Reaction score
If they are saying this month, it is the Motorola Devour.

Advantages: MotoBlur, Optical mouse on face (rather than d-pad on slide out keyboard).

Disadvantages: Smaller screen than Droid (although quite good quality), weird keyboard layout, Android 1.6 (although will probably get a 2.1 upgrade when Moto updates MotoBlur), horrible battery life, and in the small group of ~40 people that I belong to that get to test devices for Verizon Marketing, we have had 3 or 4 out of box failures where the devices could not hold a signal well enough to activate on the network (which may be why it has not been released yet, I thought the release was supposed to be last week).

Alan

OP
B

bobby512

Reaction score
Motorola Devour

I just got off the phone with Verizon and they tell me that all stores will have
the Devour in stock for the rollout on March 25th. Has 3.0 MP Camera and Android 1.6 OS with MotoBlur. How does this compare the the current Droid ?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Advantages: MotoBlur
Not everyone considers that an Advantage.....

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Current Droid has:

5.0 MP camera
Android 2.0.1 (2.1 coming "soon") No Motoblur
16GB Micro-SD Card.
Bigger screen.
Faster processor.

In my opinion an nicer all around phone. Also, Droid is WiFi capable, meaning that if you near a WiFi hotspot, you can surf the web using WiFi and not 3G....

If I had my choice, I would take the Droid. Devour does not look robust enough.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Verizon and they tell me that all stores will have
the Devour in stock for the rollout on March 25th. Has 3.0 MP Camera and Android 1.6 OS with MotoBlur. How does this compare the the current Droid ?

Droid is 2.0.1, and it has been rooted so it's 2.1 capable, 5 MP camera and I have no idea what MotoBlur is.

Look at it this way: You can try the Devour or the Droid, you have 30 days to decide and you can exchange 1 for the other. A 35.00 restocking charge may be applied, but if your smart you can get them to waive that for you.

From what it looks like to me the Droid is better.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This......

edit: disregard, I see you already found out.

It's a little different experience than the Droid. As you know the Devour runs MotoBlur. Is that a good or bad thing? It's about personal preference.

Specwise the Droid is "better" but the Devour is still a quite capable device. I'd try it out for 30 days and if you don't like it move to the Droid. You can't go wrong with the Droid..

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
I forgot to mention. Droid has a flash, as well as 5mp camera. Devour does not have a flash.

I expect the price will be much cheaper than the Droid. It is a solid device, but seems to be aimed downmarket from the Droid. More of an introductory device. But if you only have 1 Gmail account (limitation of Android 1.6) and do a lot of social networking (twitter, facebook, myspace, etc) than MotoBlur is pretty cool.

Alan

mrdroid

Reaction score
Devour is 1.6?
Verizon is telling our company that the Devour is remote wipe capable and capable of having Authentication Policy encored through Active Sync. I thought those feature were only available on 2.1?

regularjohn

Reaction score
I just bought my Moto Droid about a two weeks ago. While I was getting my phone, the sals associate mentioned the Devour coming out on March 25th, and I can always exchange it during my 30 day trial period. After I left I totally forgot the name (until now). Looking at the phone, and reviews, it seems pretty lame and the Moto Droid is a way better phone. But if you're obsessed with facebook and twitter, maybe its for you. Here is the review Engadget did:

Motorola Devour review -- Engadget

And I of course asked about the Nexus One. She said they have not been notified of when the Nexus One will be available in stores. I feel like this is the truth, and if the Nexus One was coming out on March 24th/25th, I feel like they would have given them a heads up because its a pretty big deal and I would think they would give them a month or so to be trained on the phone and the specifications. Also, why would they be notified of the Devour coming March 25th and not the Nexus One on March 24th? However, every single rumor is saying March 24th. And if its on the internet, it must be true:)