New Developments in Net Neutrality Debate

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's an update to what's going on in the world of "net neutrality." President Obama isn't too happy with FCC head Tom Wheeler's "internet fast lanes" concept. Obama's latest push rebukes that idea and proposes that the FCC reclassify ISPs as utilities.

Here's the article: Obama net neutrality plan Scrap fast lanes use Title II BGR

Here's the full press statement from the White House: Net Neutrality President Obama s Plan for a Free and Open Internet The White House

Here's the video from the President:

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very interesting development... it seems that Verizon is now backtracking on their previous stance. Apparently they are suddenly afraid that any new Net Neutrality rules will be worse than the old Net Neutrality rules from 2010: Verizon net neutrality lawsuit may have backfired BGR

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It seems that more companies than just Google, Apple and Microsoft are fighting for Net Neutrality rules. We also have Ford, UPS and more jumping on board to pressure the FCC to support Net Neutrality: FCC net neutrality lobbying UPS Ford Visa all support new rules BGR
Just glad some of these big companies that have been supporting it while hidden in the background are finally stepping up. It's gonna be those big guys that get things done, not any amount of hollering by the likes of we simple peasants.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Was watching Face The Nation, or one of those shows over the wknd, and it mind boggling to see the people on this panel discussing Net Neutrality. Most of them easily in there 70s and who I imagine had no clue of how to even turn on a computer 2 years ago without help from their grandchildren. Then they show the FCC committee and those actually in charge of deciding the future of our internet. Scary to think people like this are in charge of making these decisions.
(By "people like this" I mean, the older generation that truly has no idea what a free and open internet means for our future)

S5 tap'n

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Title II scares me. For me, it most likely means the loss of my job. Maybe more on that later...

Don't forget, Verizon and Google were holding hands in 2010 when they drew up the NN rules that Verizon later squashed.

Google only recently (Sept. 2014) came out and said fast lanes were bad. They own one of the largest email services in the world. Imagine if backbone providers, but more importantly, last mile providers, started to charge them for access to GMail or any of othe other services they offer.

Verizon will likely go back and forth as it suits their needs. They aren't committed to anyone other than their shareholder's pockets. It is, in my opinion, foolish to think otherwise.

Prediction: If Title II comes along, expect higher prices. Regulation requires money to be compliant. That money has to come from somewhere, and you can bet that all of the industries affected will recoup that cost, most likely from the customer.

Title II might be good for consumers, however thing about Verizon's current copper network. Title II clearly doesn't mean much as all the carriers have to do is tell the government the cost of maintaining those networks is too great. And Voila! Verizon has already come out and said they weren't going to do anything to fix it.