New Apple 'Camera' Patent Will Allow Remote Shutdown of Your Phone or its Features

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

There is an incendiary topic starting to heat up the web right now. Apparently Apple filed a new patent that would ultimately allow them or another third party to remotely deactivate/activate your phone or even just specific features of the phone. The patent is disguised as a way to remotely deactivate your camera at concerts or other venues where someone could potentially record copyrighted material illegally.

However, the patent is much broader in scope and functionality than just that. Based upon the way it is worded, it would actually allow any third party, like a governmental agency or a corporation to remotely control your phone. In fact, specific wireless "zone hotspots" could be created in which your device automatically has certain functions shutdown when you enter that area. The implications of this patent and the potential misuse of it are staggering.

The video above goes into a bit better detail explaining it. Here is what the patent itself states,

As you can see, the patent tries to sound quite harmless, but it's not too much of a stretch to envision virtual blackout areas and a dystopian future. Of course, the intent may not be nefarious, but we thought the information was worth sharing with you so that we could hear your perspective.

Thanks to our tipster, G-Man!
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

This is worrisome......
  3. badtoy1986

badtoy1986 New Member

Not really, if they ever implemented it they would go out of business... No one would want a phone that could have features remotely deactivated.
  4. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I remember reading last year the music industry was firmly behind it for the prevention of loss of royalties and pirate prevention.
    I first read about it being developed to prevent mobile device cameras from being able to operate at music events like concerts. If memory serves , it was Apple that first introduced the idea for having "jammers" at the events.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

There are plenty of Apple sheeple that will trust that Apple would never ever do it to them. 90% of the population wouldn't even know its there because as long as it texts and gets them to facebook, they don't care about anything else. You, me, others on these sites are enthusiasts. We know about our phones and the OS on them more than the vast majority of people. Though I don't need any more reasons, this is another why I will never buy an Apple product. At least with Android, we have an amazing dev community and can strip that crap out of the OS if it ever gets put in there.

I have a lot of respect for the police. There are however some bad/corrupt ones. What if you are recording an act of police brutality and they push a button that puts up a 100 foot radius wall that shuts off all cameras or data connectivity. I get disabling a camera in a cinema or something but i can see it being abused for illegal things too. Its a very scary thought.
  6. djsiva

djsiva New Member

makes me hate them even more.. :)
  7. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 New Member

this is crazy. leave it to Apple to come up with crap like this. pretty soon they are going to register to have their name changed to Skynet....

B
  8. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

I am all for this if it will eliminate those people who think they are too important to sit through an entire movie without checking their FB or text messages.
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

The so-called disabling of the phone's camera for "copyright" protection is garbage. Anyone who wants to copy an event or movie for the purpose of redistribution isn't going to use an iPhone to do the capturing. There are far more covert and higher quality ways to accomplish the same thing and can be done without wireless communications as part of the process thereby eliminating this "remote shutdown" feature as a potential hindrance to those methods.

This is nothing short of an attempt to move our right to freedom of speech and freedom to record public occurrences of things such as police brutality toward a police state where we are only as free as those who administer the "law" in that immediate area will allow us to be. The potential repercussions are massive and potentially harmful. What if someone suffers a heart attack in a crowd at one of these public events where the remote deactivation has been implemented? Now instead of anyone nearby with a cellular phone being able to call 911 for assistance, there is nothing anyone can do but watch that individual suffer and die. How about being able to protect yourself from an attack or otherwise? So instead of being able to take a picture of a suspicious person or offender for possible future identification, they can instead attack under the cloak of the remote deactivation of your phone?

I really don't see this as being good in any situation or free country and only can foresee this being used by the government for political censorship in Communist China.

Big Brother is alive and well in the minds of Apple.
  10. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

except that they will still be able to do this, they just won't be able to instagram from the theater since the camera is disabled.

i don't like the idea behind this, at all. this goes back to the fundamental thought process of whether or not a device is "yours" (unlocked bootloaders, rooting, et al). if the device is actually mine, you can't tell me what i can or cannot do on my phone, ever. if all of a sudden my phone isn't allowed to do certain things in certain places, then it no longer is "my phone".

of course this can all be defeated by going with an offline recording device, or possibly something *gasp* analog :blink:

edit: very well said FoxKat
  11. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Sorry was meant to be a joke, sadly the days of common decency and privacy are long gone. Technology not only gives, but it takes away as well.
  12. bluefire7002

bluefire7002 New Member

Hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but... Police state much??
  13. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

Re: New Apple 'Camera' Patent Will Allow Remote Shutdown of Your Phone or its

who would wanna watch a concert recorded on a cell phone? yuck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  14. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Hmm, limp wristed hippie terminators? I'm not scared! :p
  15. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

My thoughts regarding the individuals responsible for this patent:

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I'm kind of glad Apple patented this. It will limit the number of manufacturers implementing the technology and Apple will sue anyone else who tries to do anything remotely like this in the future.
  16. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'll start being concerned when a Jobs look alike with an Austrian accent shows up.
    Until then I'll just continue to be annoyed at the attempted take over of the planet by Apple 1 patent at a time.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
  17. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

Since I can't like a post twice, I'll just like this once and give a BIG DITTO!!!

And this is one patent Apple can have all to itself. I hope Android NEVER copies this!!!
  18. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

As I said when this was first mentioned a few months ago: I find it funny. If Apple implements this, then the coding for it is in the phone, meaning a motivated cracker/coder could find it and screw with any and every Apple device carrying the code. That would be quite interesting.
  19. androidlearner

androidlearner Member

That and because Apple is patenting it, we won't have to worry about it getting into android as that would just give Apple something to sue for.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx Arctic HD
  20. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

Sadly Apple will claim it is a feature. If the movie theater can mute your phone and disable your data, Apple sheeple will realize how rude it is and agree they shoudl not be using there phone at times like that.

Tell that to people on youtube. For example, I am a professional wrestling fan(waits for wise cracks). Sometimes the small time companies simply do not tape the shows so people may use a phone to tape a dream match that otherwise would only be seen by people live at the event. Now this shouldn't fall under copyright law if the company stands to make no money off of it. Another example, my girlfriend went to a concert the other night. She took videos of a song or two I guess, but she doesn;t plan to upload it to youtube or redistribute it. While she is not posting them to yt or fb, I bet you anything other people there will have recorded video from there phone and will be uploading it on yt, fb, etc. Now of course it is stupid to issue DCMA take down for copyright infringement over such footage but who knows how many people the record labels or RIAA have already taken down videos through there own power or DMCAs.This used to be called fair use, but today it is copyright infringement, so in that regard, I disagree.
Search tags for this page

apple 3rd party camera remotely

apple allow 3rd party camera
apple camera deactivated
apple camera shutdown patent
apple can remotely disable your phone camera with a click
apple disable camera patent
apple patent phone shutdown
apple remote cameras
apple shutdown video and recording dor police
cop able to shutdown phone cameras

iphone 3rd party camera shut off